Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wil Holmes
Yes you can use that in USVTA as well as ROAR.
No, the GTB3 is not listed by USVTA or ROAR:

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

http://www.roarracing.com/approved_non_timing_escs.php
Old 05-01-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

The GTB3 creates a pickle...

Obviously it is "better" than the Edge. Why else would they have made it? Their own literature assures you it delivers more power.

So if it is faster than the Edge, then that creates problems for this Novak Spec class... Soon as it is legal, will everyone have to run out and buy one?

We've got people running them already. Nobody has made a stink out of it because we all assume that it will be approved. But will it?

We kinda need to know...
Old 05-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Like Howard said its not approved by ROAR and not on the usvta list, so you should not see it at any usvta or roar vta race.

What will make the usvta list first, Tekin Spec or Novak GTB3 ??
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
The GTB3 creates a pickle...

Obviously it is "better" than the Edge. Why else would they have made it? Their own literature assures you it delivers more power.

So if it is faster than the Edge, then that creates problems for this Novak Spec class... Soon as it is legal, will everyone have to run out and buy one?

We've got people running them already. Nobody has made a stink out of it because we all assume that it will be approved. But will it?

We kinda need to know...
The only difference in power between the two would be from the MOSFET resistance. According to Novak's specs, the GTB3 has 0.34 milliohms less total resistance. On a motor that has 100+ milliohms of terminal resistance, and throwing in whatever the internal resistance of the battery is, the power difference would be virtually unmeasurable.

But to be safe, we need to wait until Rob and his band of Merry Men are provided with one, and have time to test it.

I see no reason to be updating my Edge (or Havoc) for VTA.

P.S. For our local races, if someone showed up with a GTB3, I would invite them to race.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Loco4G63T
I am trying to get into VTA and I bought a new GTB3. I was told this esc would be fine for VTA but I would like to be able to race anywhere since I travel a lot. Is this speedo VTA legal? I checked the official VTA rules and it only mentions GTB2.
the gtb3 is brand new, and honestly, I don't know if Robk has given his blessing for that speedo. last I looked, it wasn't even ROAR-approved yet - but mainly because it's so new.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't approved for USVTA, but for now its not

if your local track allows it, you'll be fine. I'd just wait for any 'big' USVTA-sanctioned races until the GTB3 gets the final ok
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Well I guess/ hope they will let me run it for the time being till it gets hopefully approved. Thanks for all the input guys. I can't wait to get up and running 8 )
Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
yes, usvta rules dont allow you to remove that ring.
Not sure about that... The rules don't specifically state that you can't remove the sleeve. Parts aren't being modified in the process. If the intent is for that specific action to be illegal, the rules should state as such...
Old 05-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
Not sure about that... The rules don't specifically state that you can't remove the sleeve. Parts aren't being modified in the process. If the intent is for that specific action to be illegal, the rules should state as such...
by removing the ring your modifying the motor
Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
by removing the ring your modifying the motor
i'm gonna have to side with Barry on this.

how am I modifying my motor???
Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by k_bojar
i'm gonna have to side with Barry on this.

how am I modifying my motor???
really ?? Your removing part of the can allowing for more cooling.

No modifications or optional parts allowed on motor can, endbell, stator, or rotor, other than the Boss #5925 Ballistic 540 Vented Endbell/Bearing Racing Upgrade Kit (replacement) . No cooling holes or other changes allowed to motor.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sorry guys I meant GTB2 with Xdrive I know myron was running a GTB last I spoke with him. I didn't mean to throw a wrench into the conversation. I would think that that the GTB3 would become approved before the tekin.

As for removing the ring on the motor can. I would see it frowned upon and probably be suggestd to not remove it.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I would hope that the Tekin get approved first, and that we have this lengthy of a testing period for the GTB3. If not, that would show a huge bias in favor of either Novak or anything that's not Tekin. Price can no longer be used as an argument as the GTB3 cost the same as the Tekin. I notice no difference from my HW Justock to the Tekin as both are computer adjustable. The Tekin just offers the ability to download run data. I notice no speed difference on the track. In fact, those running Novak gear seem to be faster out of the hole.

I hope that the GTB3 and Tekin are both approved. More choice is better, especially as several of the current legal ESC's are discontinued.

I also have question about weight. With the vast majority of racers now having newer carbon fiber cars, why is the weight still 1550? Is it to keep the 1 or 2 entry level or really old chassis competitive? Even then with driver figure installed people are over weight. It is really annoying to find space for 300 + grams of weight. I know some people paying high dollar for exotic heavy metals that are custom machined to fit under and around belts. I believe, at least at higher levels of competition, cost is no longer a factor. Is it time to re-address the weight issue?

But just to be fair, those older and heavier cars are still very competative with a good driver. Look at the xxx-s that placed 4 or so at the snowbirds.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I also have question about weight. With the vast majority of racers now having newer carbon fiber cars, why is the weight still 1550? Is it to keep the 1 or 2 entry level or really old chassis competitive? Even then with driver figure installed people are over weight. It is really annoying to find space for 300 + grams of weight. I know some people paying high dollar for exotic heavy metals that are custom machined to fit under and around belts. I believe, at least at higher levels of competition, cost is no longer a factor. Is it time to re-address the weight issue?
1550g has nothing to do with old chassis, its the weight limit we used back in the days of brushed motors and NiMh batteries, the rule never got updated with the change to brushless/lipo.

My TC3 comes in just under 1450g RTR with standard electronics without any lead.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

So why not update it?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I see the weight issue as fine by me. I'm running a TC6 and it handles just fine at 1550. The weight is apart of the spirit of the class to make all chassises even including the older heavier molded chassis. I watched last sunday Eric at Thunder RC lay down laps that were equal with what TC 17.5 guys were laying down. He was running a Xray T4. It all comes down to setup and driver in the end for this class. Thats what I love about it very enjoyable. Even at my local track they run the ROAR rules but I'm even with there laps at 1550g so its not a big deal about the weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.