Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

That xray weight is pretty, but expensive.. and you'd need several to get a T4 up to weight.

Pinewood derby tungsten weight plates.. still not cheap, but cheaper and easier to hide/place... you can stack several under the belt, and then just layer under the esc/rx/battery/wherever (they're super thin.)

Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Anyone got pics of this centerline chassis weights on there Xrays?

If I went USVTA legal packs down the road, would love to do that as seen what guys are doing, the packs have all kinds of weight stuck to them making me wonder if there is a better way lol. Wonder if someone could make a "5000mah" pack (assuming this was legal) that had a slot to "add weight" to it?

Right now I lucked out as the 7200mah lipos (we are VTA legal only here) I am using to get some reuse from my SCT stuff needed barely any weight to add to the chassis than what they came with (I think like 30 or so grams?).
Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Anyone got pics of this centerline chassis weights on there Xrays?
I can get some later today. I run the 30g on my VTA.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Can anyone share their VTA set up for a T3-11 indoor.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yes this would have been ideal, but I just used the lead ones. I think I had like around 45g under the front belt, 14g beside the rear belt, and 10-12g under the steering bellcranks / front of the servo mount. It took some creative "shaving" of the lead, but I believe that its worth it in order to add the weight to the centerline of the car. I never added any under the bumper mount due to the fast guys saying it would make the car plow in the turns tho.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

Below are some pics of my layout. The heavier items to note are a fullsize servo (Savox 1258) and fans on the ESC and the motor. Everything else is pretty standard stuff. It has a motor guard, RSD battery mount, belt pulley, and al. battery supports, but those don't affect weight much.

Overall layout:

Weights on side of servo, under the belt, on side of fan, behind the battery, and behind front control arms.

Clearance under belt:

Stack behind battery:

1969 Camaro body w/interior and Shoe Goo weight: 171g
EAM 5000 mah battery weight: 254g
Total added weight: 130g

Corner weights w/o body:

LF: 348 RF: 334

LR: 351 RR: 362

Overall weight is a bit high right now (1566g). I realize the added weight isn't fully optimized as far as location, but because the car is working so well I haven't bothered with that yet.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Below are some pics of my layout. The heavier items to note are a fullsize servo (Savox 1258) and fans on the ESC and the motor. Everything else is pretty standard stuff. It has a motor guard, RSD battery mount, belt pulley, and al. battery supports, but those don't affect weight much.

Overall layout:

Weights on side of servo, under the belt, on side of fan, behind the battery, and behind front control arms.

Clearance under belt:

Stack behind battery:

1969 Camaro body w/interior and Shoe Goo weight: 171g
EAM 5000 mah battery weight: 254g
Total added weight: 130g

Corner weights w/o body:

LF: 348 RF: 334

LR: 351 RR: 362

Overall weight is a bit high right now (1566g). I realize the added weight isn't fully optimized as far as location, but because the car is working so well I haven't bothered with that yet.
Another spot you may have missed is under the center brace or under the battery.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bertottius
Another spot you may have missed is under the center brace or under the battery.
I wouldn't say I missed them. Under the center brace is too high and I wouldn't want to raise the battery any higher, either.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
John, are you and Santiago pushing for this class at Al's? I saw Frankie run his VTA car with us in Austin last Sunday and he was doing really well! BTW, we've been trying to stick as close to USVTA as we can. We have a couple racers who have taken a few liberties (Tekin ESC, VTA body chopped outside the molded cut lines, non-USVTA approved body), but we haven't given them too much heck about it.

Gearing is wide open in VTA, no more 4.0 limit. The last time I ran VTA at Al's I ran a 3.8 FDR. I ran a 3.8 at RSD in Houston, too. In Austin I've run as low as 3.6. At Mike's in Dallas I'm closer to 4.0. The only class "locally" running timing/boost on their ESCs is mod TC. USGT and 17.5 is ROAR blinky. VTA, for Austin, anyway, is USVTA.
I'm not trying to organize Vintage racing at Al's, I'm just interesting in running it if it gets going and I can run the TEKIN Blinky. Al gave me Jim Hartnet's name as one who is trying to get the vintage program going. When I moved here almost 3 years ago, I contacted Al and was told on road was dead and they weren't racing anymore. I got here just in time to see the last on-road race at Hobbytown on Austin HWY. After that, I sold off most of my on road stuff and changed over to dirt off road. I'm interested in vintage at Al's because Trans Am is the only on road car I have. It sits on my bookcase as a race ready static display, just needs a new motor and tires (the battery is still good). I probably have enouh 64 pitch gears to get a FDR in the 3.6 to 4.0 range. Hopefully the Vintage at Al's gets going again. I'd sure be willing to gear so as to negate any advantage the blinky tekin would give me. I'm not interested in blowing away anyone is the straightaways, I just like good close bumper to bumper racing.

BTW it cost zero to upgrade my old Tekin PRO to the new Blinky stock configuration thus leaving me all that much more money to purchase the new trans am motor. HAHAHA As I said I'm retired and trying to stay within my racing budget each month and off road is getting most of that these days.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't blame a track for doing what they perceive will bring them more racers. And I think that the ROAR rules are a good guideline. But I do think that a track sacrifices confidence in parity, anytime they choose ROAR rules over USVTA rules. I hope that's a good way to say that.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

There is a way to stop tracks from willy nillying the rules, but ROAR wouldn't enforce it: Anyone using ROAR rules should have to be a ROAR track. Otherwise is it ultimately ROAR???

USVTA only allows tracks to use their logo and be listed if they are running according to USVTA rules.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I think in the long run, tracks which go with non-USVTA rules are shooting themselves in the foot. Sure, you make the vocal minority who cry "I won't run VTA unless I can use my whizbang motors or my superdoodle ESC!" happy, but in the long run the staying power of VTA will be compromised. Stick with it as it was designed.

With that said, I do support time-limited exceptions so that people can get started.

For example: Someone wants to run VTA at an established track with a superdoodle ESC in blinky mode? Sure, allow it for two or three races (or perhaps longer if it's a new guy who isn't competitive) but after a raceday or two of being competitive (top half of the field, lets say) then the car needs to come into full compliance.

Another example: a couple of friends want to start VTA but don't have compliant equipment: Sure, get started and HAVE FUN! But if you plan to grow the class and race it at a public track, then have it in your plans from day one to get compliant.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

totally agree with slashdriver!

the tekin esc is especially problematic as there is a blinky software version out there that roar banned.

Hobbywing Justock is $49 thats only two or three race day fee's
Old 12-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JayL

the tekin esc is especially problematic as there is a blinky software version out there that roar banned.
Hey Jay, please send me a copy of that banned software to [email protected] Will use it in all roar blinky classes I run.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

n/m

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.