Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 12-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brady_21x
any chance this ESC will be approved?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Brushless-ESC
Originally Posted by moparSRT
It meets all usvta esc requirements so should see it on the list soon seeing its now available
Everyone is waiting to see if it makes it.I see a lot of tracks running Roar rules.Geuss they are tired of waiting.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its in process, the USVTA will look and test every esc that is presented and at different tracks. Patience is the key. Its just now is available, so testing on the track and other configuration is in the works. We dont want it to be a mistake that the USVTA would have to eat.

Thanks

also, if a track is running roar vta, they might want to look at the vta entries at their event. If your track is roar and you are only getting an A, and maybe a B main. Maybe USVTA is a better option for you.

Myron
Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE

also, if a track is running roar vta, they might want to look at the vta entries at their event. If your track is roar and you are only getting an A, and maybe a B main. Maybe USVTA is a better option for you.

Myron
I would say most tracks running roar VTA, started with USVTA
Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would say most tracks running roar VTA, started with USVTA
why do you feel they switched?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
why do you feel they switched?
I think roar rules make it easier and less expensive for a current racer to try vta.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I know my local track switch due to motor issues. People wanted to run more than just the novak motor. I didnt mind running only the novak but it would have been nice to have a couple options. I like how each esc is actually track tested against a standard. Maybe the same could be done with motors???
Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I think roar rules make it easier and less expensive for a current racer to try vta.
I'm not so sure about this... Having unlimited choices concerning motors, ESCs and batteries might make things cheaper for someone to assemble a car if they already have electronics, but I see the long term result for all participants being similar to what you see in other spec classes where choices aren't restricted; racers would resort to chasing the motor, ESC, or battery of the week to get a temporary advantage over their opponents. Eventually, people get tired of the chase and abandon the class.

The ROAR and USVTA rules have very different objectives - ROAR emphasizes the lack of preferential treatment toward equipment suppliers, whereas USVTA places an emphasis on equipment parity. I'm not advocating for one ruleset or the other - whatever attracts the most racers should be the primary determinant for a given racing venue - but IMO the USVTA rule set favors fair competition more than the ROAR rules do.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I agree.
What I have noticed is that fast guys will be fast with either rule.
Either rule set can be fun or frustrating.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
I'm not so sure about this....
You will spend around $110 to get a 17.5 car legal for roar VTA with a Speed Passion motor, to get the same car up to usvta spec you are spending $250+

Originally Posted by edhchoe
I agree.
What I have noticed is that fast guys will be fast with either rule.
Either rule set can be fun or frustrating.
+1

We run both usvta & roar in FL, given a choice I prefer the roar rules.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Legend

To be honest, I think you will see racers regardless of what rules set is used try to find an advantage with their wallets. Sort of like those guys who buy multiples of the same motor to find that "good one" and then relist the ones that weren't strong enough in their opinion. Seen a few people do that with some Novak 25.5s not too long ago. Or, gravitate towards a certain ESC or spec battery if at their track its perceived to be faster.

Any class can be as much of a money pit as you want it to be. But I do credit USVTA for the willingness to test ESCs to look for parity based on what I am understanding. Not sure if ROAR does this at all with there stuff, but who knows, maybe it something that they should look into as well?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Legend

You will spend around $110 to get a 17.5 car legal for roar VTA with a Speed Passion motor, to get the same car up to usvta spec you are spending $250+
ROAR VTA is 25.5 too right?

I spent about $75 shipped for the Speed Passion Combo. came with there Reventon Stock only ESC and the V3.0 Competition 25.5 motor brand new.

Other than the whole messing with timing boards you have to do with Speed Passion gear, so far, liking it in the VTA class here.

But, heck, you can always dump the money into the car too lol. Crazy to see some of the top flight chassis running in the class.

Hey, does anyone sell prepainted driver figure bodies, maybe one that could be taken for being a "girl"? Think my daughter would get a kick out of that.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Hey, does anyone sell prepainted driver figure bodies, maybe one that could be taken for being a "girl"? Think my daughter would get a kick out of that.
You can use whatever you want for a driver figure as long as it's got a head and shoulders. You could use just the a upper body of a barbie if you wanted.

From USVTA rules:
All cars must include a driver figure consisting of at least a head and shoulders.
Otherwise the non painted driver figure you could make one with a pink helmet or something.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
I'm not so sure about this... Having unlimited choices concerning motors, ESCs and batteries might make things cheaper for someone to assemble a car if they already have electronics, but I see the long term result for all participants being similar to what you see in other spec classes where choices aren't restricted; racers would resort to chasing the motor, ESC, or battery of the week to get a temporary advantage over their opponents. Eventually, people get tired of the chase and abandon the class.

The ROAR and USVTA rules have very different objectives - ROAR emphasizes the lack of preferential treatment toward equipment suppliers, whereas USVTA places an emphasis on equipment parity. I'm not advocating for one ruleset or the other - whatever attracts the most racers should be the primary determinant for a given racing venue - but IMO the USVTA rule set favors fair competition more than the ROAR rules do.
Totally agree!!! I like the USVTA rules because I dont want to hear no crying that I have a better motor, esc, chassis, tires, body, haircut, shoes, etc, than the guys that aren't as fast. Having the same or very similar equipment is what make this a fun spec class. Opening it up the motor and esc of the week will ruin its intent and cost more in the long run because people will buy new stuff to keep up. Run 17.5 or USGT if you want options.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S
You can use whatever you want for a driver figure as long as it's got a head and shoulders. You could use just the a upper body of a barbie if you wanted.
LOL, I've seen some wacky drivers at different events! Here's my new driver:

Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I want to find a skeleton body to use as a driver!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.