Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well ladies...

There's 137 definitions for the word DORK in the urban dictionary...

So, which kind of DORK are we talkin' here...
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Indyonroad
[QUOTE
Most of the SS motors I have checked with my equipment show rpm ranges of 13,200-13,800 with extremely low amp and watt numbers, so they can be geared very differently then their Ballistic counterparts.
"geared very differently" meaning you should gear higher or lower fdr then the ballistic ex: 4.0 ballistic vs 3.6 SS ?? (run bigger pinion with the SS)

Thanks.. I currently run a SS[/QUOTE]

For example, my PHI 07 preferred to be at a 3.46, my TCX prefers 3.66 (same esc,battery,motor).

We have what I call an "anamoly" ballistic floating around here that prefers 4.3 in a TC6

Richard D and Michael can chime in what they are running on their SS's
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jgraham37128
Yes, and those other rotors too...no more horse powering by me on the straight away! I've got to have the same motor as the rest of you passing me like I'm sitting still down the straight!
i'll preface the following statement as not intended to offend nor irk, nor tork anyone in anyway.

Upon further review by the official in the booth, the following observations were made from the uploaded video, and assuming the right car was being observed.

At 17:10 there was a wreck in the far right side which would have added 3-5 seconds to that lap, at 17:25 the orange/white car was dusted down the straight, at 18:00 the black car was closed in on by approx 8', at 19:50 run into the sweeper went offline adding a couple of tenths, at 20:02 the collision at the end of the sweeper added a few tenths, at 20:43 the mid corner push that the car has throughout the run caused a board meeting, at 20:53 collision with the black car in the the right side chicane, at 21:07 double board meeting, 23:29 and 23:55 taps on the left side chicane.

The car seems plenty fast enough but has a consistent mid/high speed corner push, off power it looks like it corners pretty good.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wwddww34
It is not illegal to race with ceramic bearings in your Ballistic motor. However you will be considered a "Dork".

Have you ever tried removing the bearing from a Novak Ballistic endbell? If you don't have the right extraction tools it is freaking hard! Without the proper tools you will most likely warp and damage the aluminum endbell and not be able to get a new bearing to fit in properly.
The proper and accepted way of getting that bearing out is a concrete floor, a button head screw, an allen driver, and a few taps from your trusty hammer. To get the new one in, first clearance the endbell with your dremmel sander drum and press it in with your fingers. I can also attest that a deep-well socket of the right size, a concrete floor, and the hammer work to get it back in as well, but I got tired of doing that.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

DORK...LOL
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
i'll preface the following statement as not intended to offend nor irk, nor tork anyone in anyway.

Upon further review by the official in the booth, the following observations were made from the uploaded video, and assuming the right car was being observed.

At 17:10 there was a wreck in the far right side which would have added 3-5 seconds to that lap, at 17:25 the orange/white car was dusted down the straight, at 18:00 the black car was closed in on by approx 8', at 19:50 run into the sweeper went offline adding a couple of tenths, at 20:02 the collision at the end of the sweeper added a few tenths, at 20:43 the mid corner push that the car has throughout the run caused a board meeting, at 20:53 collision with the black car in the the right side chicane, at 21:07 double board meeting, 23:29 and 23:55 taps on the left side chicane.

The car seems plenty fast enough but has a consistent mid/high speed corner push, off power it looks like it corners pretty good.

hummm..great breakdown....you must have some free time..

btw..anything on the horizon for the Nationals?..like 20 min mains, or high bank sweeper?..
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

For example, my PHI 07 preferred to be at a 3.46, my TCX prefers 3.66 (same esc,battery,motor).

We have what I call an "anamoly" ballistic floating around here that prefers 4.3 in a TC6

Richard D and Michael can chime in what they are running on their SS's[/QUOTE]

Thanks...I'll do some wide spread gearing and see what the car likes.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
hummm..great breakdown....you must have some free time..

btw..anything on the horizon for the Nationals?..like 20 min mains, or high bank sweeper?..
free time??? nope, but the you tube pause button, pen and paper and 4 hours I can watch an 8 minute video
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bronicabill
The rules don't state ceramic bearings are illegal; only that their use will make you "a dork". If they are truly illegal, then the rules should state they're illegal.

Edit: Anxious to see what RobK has to say as I've always assumed they were legal but just frowned upon like overly colorful paint jobs.
It's pretty hard to tell the difference in bearings when they are installed so it's hard to enforce unless constant teardowns in tech are the norm. It's not illegal, but I'm all like"Really dude?"
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeckler
You can still make your own decklid spoiler like stated in the rules, right?

"For the HPI Mustangs which are not provided with a spoiler:
A lexan spoiler of 16mm total height from trunk deck, and overall chord of 20mm is allowable. All other bodies must use the spoiler included with that specific body set. Built in spoilers may not be enhanced. "

And I'm an idiot, what's a "chord"? Is that the extra 4mm it would take to attach it to the car?
Basically, if you think of the spoiler as a right (90*) triangle, the chord would be the size of the angled side, and the height would be the vertical side. Obviously it's not strictly a right triangle, since I have no idea how those numbers work out, but you get the idea.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robk
It's pretty hard to tell the difference in bearings when they are installed so it's hard to enforce unless constant teardowns in tech are the norm. It's not illegal, but I'm all like"Really dude?"
Ya know, that comment right there is a big part of the reason I'm starting to race VTA. Plus, I don't have to care at all about the motor of the week being banned garbage. Between Mini and VTA, it's all about racing.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

thanks RobK.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

Hey VTA guys! Besides the missing driver figure and having no numbers on the doors, hood and trunk ... is there anything in the USVTA rules that makes this factory painted HPI AAR Cuda body illegal to race in VTA?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

RobK,

Explanation of ceramic bearings in one of my two Novak Ballistic 25.5 VTA motors. Take a Custom Build a Ballistic Modified motor with high torque rotor. Install in your loose dirt Custom Works Rocket. Run at major race. Want more speed so crank up timing AND Boost on Tekin RS Pro. Get the motor so hot in a heat race that the Novak sticker melts off, the tan wire windings are now a deep redish brown. the solder connecting the windings to the ring has puddled in the end bell and is stuck to the rotor, and said high torque rotor no longer has enough magnetism to pick up a 4-40 nut. Clean sticky residue from orange motor ring. Toss melted stator and cooked rotor. Toss the sensor board "just in case". Clean solder out of the end bell. Buy new sensor board, 25.5 USVTA legal stator, and standard Neo 12.3 Novak stock rotor and assemble yourself a "DORK SPECIAL" Ballistic motor because the only things that survived the meltdown were the orange ring, end bells and the ceramic bearings I even had to replace the fish paper for Petty's sake. BTW I run the same times with the Dork Special as my Blue Ring Stock motor that came in my Edge Combo
Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I disassemble my motor about every 3-4 races to clean, check, and oil the bearings. Both bearings roll very free and aren't overly sloppy. I just don't see ceramic bearings in the motor making a noticable difference on the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.