Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

MRCR had 6 USVTA cars and 6 Outlaw VTA cars friday night.

The same deal here, when the VTA cars run, everyone watches.

Does anyone have a SS 25.5 for sale ? I'm in need of one. PM me if you want.

thanks Mike
Old 12-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
GO INDY!!!!!!

thats really cool to know....I hope some of you Indy VTA racers come down for the Thunder Jam V, aka Grand Slam race, aka Snowbirds Warm-Up...
After Brian and I came to the Thunder Nationals in Nashvegas, we have had 2-3 say they are for sure coming next year to the Southern Nationals. Don't know about the other regional races. The Thunder RC track is only a 5 hour drive away so that's very do-able.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default need advice

i'm racing vta with my tc6 and currently has novak edge 25.5 motor with 3.85fdr,35 deg motor timing, i want to go faster at this time, my question is what is the best way to increase speed without loosing much torque??playing more timing on the motor or just switch lower fdr gears and less timing?? any input is much appreciated...thanks..
Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
After Brian and I came to the Thunder Nationals in Nashvegas, we have had 2-3 say they are for sure coming next year to the Southern Nationals. Don't know about the other regional races. The Thunder RC track is only a 5 hour drive away so that's very do-able.
Yeah, I'm coming down with Scott. I'm just a field filler but I'll be there to watch my boy Brian go for the win!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rigelkent09
i'm racing vta with my tc6 and currently has novak edge 25.5 motor with 3.85fdr,35 deg motor timing, i want to go faster at this time, my question is what is the best way to increase speed without loosing much torque??playing more timing on the motor or just switch lower fdr gears and less timing?? any input is much appreciated...thanks..
Are you needing more straight speed or corner speed. The experience I have had with mine the more straight speed I tried to get I lost corner speed and vice versa. I had a buddy of mine work on the car and found that most of it was chassis setup. Get the car to be free through the corners as not to lose speed then the motor does not have to work as hard to get back up to full song. Have run a 3.96 on mine at just about every track i run at and its always in the top three. Lots of practice and being very smooth on the wheel helps alot too.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shadowracer24
Are you needing more straight speed or corner speed. The experience I have had with mine the more straight speed I tried to get I lost corner speed and vice versa. I had a buddy of mine work on the car and found that most of it was chassis setup. Get the car to be free through the corners as not to lose speed then the motor does not have to work as hard to get back up to full song. Have run a 3.96 on mine at just about every track i run at and its always in the top three. Lots of practice and being very smooth on the wheel helps alot too.
thanks, thats what i observed, when i tried maximum motor timing with 3.85fdr i lost infield speed,does going lower fdr will have the same result as raising motor timing on my current set up?? let say 3.5fdr, 30 deg timing will have the same speed and torque to 3.8 fdr 45 deg timing???
Old 12-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Registration for the Ultimate Trans Am Championship is now open on RCcarcal.com.

There are 2 separate events on the calendar:
  1. The Ultimate VTA Practice Race - Thursday - June 6
  2. The Ultimate Trans Am Championship - Friday/Saturday - June 7 and 8
Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just a quick update on our tach project. Initially we wanted a tach box to set the cars on to test the final rpm of the wheels and limit the speed of each car. This was to bring all the cars to the same level at our track.

For those just tuning in, out track is small and we have a pretty stiff FDR limit to keep the speed down. The problem is when a racer has a motor that is a bit lower in power than others. There is no option for them to gear up to get to the same speed as other cars and the only option was for them to gamble with a new motor.

We decided to limit the wheel speed to even the class out.

We picked up a handheld tachometer from amazon and I am happy to report that this thing works great. It will be much easier for us to test each car with this as we can just go down the line and test each car.

We are in the testing phase for now to decide what limit to go with but as we gather data we have found some interesting numbers.

5000 40c, 2294 rpm
5300 70c, 2289rpm
4000 20c, 2286rpm

Just from this limited run it does indeed appear that the C-rating of the battery makes little difference to the max speed of the car so there is a little defense to the battery debate. Now, we are just testing the max rpm of the car under no load. C-rating might make a difference under load but it didn't in our test.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Registration for the Ultimate Trans Am Championship is now open on RCcarcal.com.

There are 2 separate events on the calendar:
  1. The Ultimate VTA Practice Race - Thursday - June 6
  2. The Ultimate Trans Am Championship - Friday/Saturday - June 7 and 8
Signed up and counting the days!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions??

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
just wanted to pass some info about the AE TC4 Club Racer Ive been checking out. I ran it Sunday and was able to keep it in the low 12's, even grabbing a 12.1 lap. Here is what Ive done to mine since I pulled it from the box.

I started with adding the electronics, which incl, Hobbywing Justock,Novak SS 25.5 refurb, XP 1313 servo, w/ my M11x radio and RX. I added the AE FT Motor Cooling Duct/Fan Kit and AE FT Graphite Battery Strap. With Zero setup, I was able to grab a 12.8 for fast lap...and avg around 13.2. This is basically taking it out of the box and setting it on the track....

But to get more out of it I went with the TC6.1 shocks and RSD springs and bladders. I also added FT Heavy Duty CVD Bones to the front after breaking one of the plastic ones that come with the car. Not to sure the shocks added anything but better adjustment and easier to setup. The car feels just as fast as my TC6 in VTA. Here is my final setup

TC4 Club Racer
Hobbywing Justock (no setup change)
Novak 25.5 SS refurb 40 deg time
XP 1313 servo
78 spur 54 pinion, FDR 3.61
Front
RSD blue springs
35 AE wt
5mm ride
7mm droop
silver sway bar
-1.5 camber
2 deg caster hubs
Rear
RSD green springs
30 AE wt
5mm ride
6mm droop
black sway bar
-1.5 camber
3 deg toe-in

On your Hobbywing Justock ESC, which program box did you purchase?
And what are the ESC settings?
I know it says you didn't change anything, but what are the out-of-the-box settings?

Old 12-24-2012, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mera'din
Just a quick update on our tach project... We picked up a handheld tachometer from amazon and I am happy to report that this thing works great.
Which one did you get?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

TQRacing has a new section on their site for VTA
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...p?s_cate_id=21
I have ordered from them numerous times and always have my items within 3 days of the order.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I use the Hobbywing JustStock as well and use this turnigy programming card:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...less_ESC_.html

The other option is this:
http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=215
Old 12-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina
I use the Hobbywing JustStock as well and use this turnigy programming card:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...less_ESC_.html

The other option is this:
http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=215
The bottom one is what I use with my Hobbywing, about the only thing I changed on mine was initial drive to the highest level. I had to also update the firmware to get stronger brakes.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

JUST WANT TO WISH ALL MY USVTA BUDDIES A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.