Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I KNEW a glue "discussion" was coming...
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerz616
The instructions clearly show to glue the sidewall. Doing the instructions show it it can't be considered altering the tire. Here is a picture from the instruction sheet.
lol yes thats how you mount a tire, thats not showing putting glue on the outside of the tire on the sidewall
Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savageboy69
lol yes thats how you mount a tire, thats not showing putting glue on the outside of the tire on the sidewall
I don't think anyone was talking about putting glue on the outside of the tire.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

guys (and gals)

Thank about the discussion you are having. Do you guys really want a class that is spec'd to the point of telling you where you can and cant put super glue?

There needs to be a bit of common sense when looking at a rule book (esp since there is the spirit of VTA clause in there)

There is a difference between someone gluing the sidewalls so they dont traction roll and altering a tire chemically so it only lasts one race weekend (thus driving up cost)

The intent to have a fun fair affordable class. Not to have a rule book that is 914 pages long saying exactly what you can and cant do.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think anyone was talking about putting glue on the outside of the tire.
read the original post about gluing the sidewall then it should make sense
Old 12-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
guys (and gals)

Thank about the discussion you are having. Do you guys really want a class that is spec'd to the point of telling you where you can and cant put super glue?

There needs to be a bit of common sense when looking at a rule book (esp since there is the spirit of VTA clause in there)

There is a difference between someone gluing the sidewalls so they dont traction roll and altering a tire chemically so it only lasts one race weekend (thus driving up cost)

The intent to have a fun fair affordable class. Not to have a rule book that is 914 pages long saying exactly what you can and cant do.
I agree. I posted my pic to show glueing the sidewall is not altering anything. The believe the discussion started when Myron mentioned glueing the sidewall to help traction rolling. I think someone misunderstood the meaning of where the glue goes.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

guys (and gals)

that is the whole point of a spec class is to tell you what you can and cant do, otherwise just run a open class with vta bodies. there is no difference between someone gluing a sidewall and altering a tire chemically , both ways you are ALTERING the tire, if you are traction rolling fix your setup, its simple. you get to many people coming on here preaching about the rules and these are the same ones that want to interpret the rules how they see fit. and i keep hearing about the spirit of the vta clause, is that the interpret the rules how you want clause? because thats what it seems like
Old 12-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Glue the outside sidewalls of your front tires first.
Glue the outside sidewalls of your rear tires.

Shorten your front camber link and raise it up .030.
Install largest front sway bar and smallest rear sway bar.
Stand up front shocks 1 hole on shock tower.
Rebuild your shocks with fresh oil try 40wt up front keep 30wt in the rear.
Take 1mm of droop out of the car all the way around.
Go up 1 spring rate higher in the front.
Shorten rear camber link move outside one hole on the inside rear location.

This is what I would do in this order. If you have time try these one at a time so you can see what is doing what so you will know what to does and doesnt work for you.

Best of luck.
there ya go
Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alloyslash
Put a thin layer/coating of CA gule on the rubber sidewall of the tire, from the rim to the " ring " that goes around the tire where the tread starts.

This is the post where he advised putting glue on the out side of the tire if I am not mistaken. Yes, I do think this is a violation of the rules. No, I do not think it needs to be called out in the rules as it is in there already. It just depends on how you interpret it.

I interpret it as altering the tire and should not be done. Change your setup!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

that is the whole point of a spec class is to tell you what you can and cant do, otherwise just run a open class with vta bodies. there is no difference between someone gluing a sidewall and altering a tire chemically , both ways you are ALTERING the tire, if you are traction rolling fix your setup, its simple. you get to many people coming on here preaching about the rules and these are the same ones that want to interpret the rules how they see fit. and i keep hearing about the spirit of the vta clause, is that the interpret the rules how you want clause? because thats what it seems like
so where do you draw the line between someone "gluing the sidewall to prevent traction rolling" and "i got really sloppy while trying to glue my tires and got it all over"

You are asking alot of the VTA organizers to define every scenario possible like this that could come up.

As far as the spirit clause. It should be common sense if you are doing something blatant to gain an unfair advantage or not. That is the difference.

If anything, gluing a tire sidewall helps a set of fronts to last longer, reducing cost of the class. As we all know, VTA tires seem to break down and get softer as the life span goes on. This would allow what may otherwise make a set of tires not usable for your track last a few more weeks.

Just out of curiousity, how many of you people saying change your setup use any sort of traction compound to produce tire grip (sxt, paragon, sticky fingers, goo gone, lighter fluid, simple green)
Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

so where do you draw the line between someone "gluing the sidewall to prevent traction rolling" and "i got really sloppy while trying to glue my tires and got it all over"

You are asking alot of the VTA organizers to define every scenario possible like this that could come up.

As far as the spirit clause. It should be common sense if you are doing something blatant to gain an unfair advantage or not. That is the difference.

If anything, gluing a tire sidewall helps a set of fronts to last longer, reducing cost of the class. As we all know, VTA tires seem to break down and get softer as the life span goes on. This would allow what may otherwise make a set of tires not usable for your track last a few more weeks.
you just answered your own question, there is a difference between sloppy glueing and purposly gluing a sidewall, and no one needs to define anything its written clearly in the rules
if a fire is hot do i need to tell you not to touch it?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Just out of curiousity, how many of you people saying change your setup use any sort of traction compound to produce tire grip (sxt, paragon, sticky fingers, goo gone, lighter fluid, simple green)
As you call it "common sense". You could use that. Finger nail polish remover cleans up excess super glue quite nicely.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

there ya go
If someone took that post as literally putting glue on the outside of the tire then I don't know what to say. Putting glue on the outside is not going to do Anything for you. If you glue the tire properly the sidewall is already going to be stiff.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

If someone took that post as literally putting glue on the outside of the tire then I don't know what to say. Putting glue on the outside is not going to do Anything for you. If you glue the tire properly the sidewall is already going to be stiff.
You would be wrong. This is also commonly done with F1 tires and it makes a considerable difference.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

you just answered your own question, there is a difference between sloppy glueing and purposly gluing a sidewall, and no one needs to define anything its written clearly in the rules
if a fire is hot do i need to tell you not to touch it?
but where you do, as a rule maker and tech enforcer draw that line? How do you define it?

And yes, finger nail polish remover does remove super glue, but it contains toluene, which is a mild paint thinner, which will soften then tire. Cant use it, it alters the tire.

Guess we just tell them you are screwed out of a set of tires, throw them away and go spend more money and try again?

And you two didnt answer my last question in my post.

In case you havent figured it out, Im being an annoying A$$ on purpose to illustrate a point that you cant define every scenario. RobK and Myron will just have to give an official ruling on the sidewall wont they?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.