Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
cool...I think you will really enjoy the carpet side of things..especially USVTA,,,we are looking at a good turn-out Sunday...Ive talked to a dozen VTA racers that are trying to come..incl some new racers as well
I'll be there Sunday.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
96'x40'. I am only looking for a rough starting point, I have no idea where VTA cars are normally geared...? 4.5?
Our track is similar in size. I run 4.04 and its faster then guys running 3.8. I think having to low a fdr doesn't give you enough time to get to top speed on most straights. With a 4.04 I am at top speed by 1/2 track, and I have a ton more infield rip then the lower fdr. I am running a Novak ballistic though.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markt311
I'll be there Sunday.
sweet
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

oh I still have your sticker sheet too..
Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

I like that all the tracks in the Southeast use the same USVTA rules...good to know Thunder ,One Lug, and Hotshots are all on the same page...USVTA page
If you guys don't mind some parking lot racing in Dalton GA next summer, then I plan on putting the Battlefield name back in that mix. But I will be asking for some help with that.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

At Hotslots Raceway in Urbana IL we are running all USVTA rules other than the following:

- No Driver Figure in Body Required
- Any roar approved blinky speedo but most have the USVTA approved esc already.

That is it and we have a great class started... Had 11 VTA cars last week.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
At Hotslots Raceway in Urbana IL we are running all USVTA rules other than the following:

get ready to get flamed just messin awsome turnout the more the better
Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
If you guys don't mind some parking lot racing in Dalton GA next summer, then I plan on putting the Battlefield name back in that mix. But I will be asking for some help with that.
Originally Posted by JFuel11

thats great guys...more tracks running VTA the merrier...

is there a reason for not running the driver figure...just asking...Ive run one since VTA was started even before the rule..I like the idea of somebody helping me behind the wheel...lol..I started using the Tamiya Grasshopper driver in early 2008...then did another one for the Nationals...still look good today
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-usvta-nationals-2009-029.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-usvta-nationals-2009-061.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-music-city-championship-015.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-music-city-championship-016.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-wednesday-night-ta-013.jpg  

Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Tech Addict

I, like others, have my car set up for a '68 Camaro with a HPI drivers figure. If I use another body it will throw my balance and total weight off. I can show up at any race and already know that my car will weigh 1556-1561, depending on whos scales I use. I set it up at 1550, then added 1 more weight, so if I loose 1 during the race I'll still tech legal at the end. I use the same EAM 70c 5000mAh VTA battery, same body that I did for the Southern Nationals. I honestly believe that by leaving everything the same, it has actually helped me be more consistant with laptimes and setup direction.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default T6.1

Just picked up a 6.1 I was wondering what gearing I should start at for 25.5 motor. starting with a 3.8 FDR is that a good start?

Thanks Chris
Old 12-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

i run a 3.5 fdr with 30 deg. of timing, accels just as fast as the next guy and i top out slightly higher, but keeping things smooth through the turns helps alot n our track does not have alot of hairpins
Old 12-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

is there a reason for not running the driver figure...just asking...Ive run one since VTA was started even before the rule..
To answer your question from my standpoint, I think for most new racers (including myself at the time I started) a driver figure was ONE MORE THING that I had to buy. The LHS didn't stock anything remotely close to what I needed so I was on my own to find one. Honestly, a driver figure seemed like a subtle nuance to me at the time (like saying you must use the window wiper decals for example), so when our track Director said it wasn't necessary for local VTA racing, I quit worrying about a driver figure in seconds.

Of course for the offical USVTA events, if its a requirement, its a requirement. I don't suggest for any reason that it shouldn't be. Anybody who's into VTA enough to attend an official event I'm sure doesn't mind the driver requirement.

I know others will disagree with this, but I think as long as the proportions of the "driver" are close to 1/10th scale, I enjoy seeing and using unique/funny drivers. Just adds more fun to the class IMO. I'm running a skull driver right now in my 69 Camaro. I think he (yes, I checked...) looks great in there.

If the rules were super specific that it had to be a scale scale driver, that would be a bummer I think. Of course, that's just my opinion... My wife has explained to me on many occasions that my opinion is usually wrong before I even say it!

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-skulldrivercamarovta.jpg  

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 12-07-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

We are running the USVTA rules except for the driver figure as well. We did this to encourage people to start running the class. I think as long as we get it off the ground we will add the driver for next season. It is encouraged now just not required. Will post some picks of our field of crafter our race sat night. We have had about one new car each week. It has been some great racing so far and looks to only get better.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default This is why....

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
To answer your question from my standpoint, I think for most new racers (including myself at the time I started) a driver figure was ONE MORE THING that I had to buy. The LHS didn't stock anything remotely close to what I needed so I was on my own to find one. Honestly, a driver figure seemed like a subtle nuance to me at the time (like saying you must use the window wiper decals for example), so when our track Director said it wasn't necessary for local VTA racing, I quit worrying about a driver figure in seconds.

Of course for the offical USVTA events, if its a requirement, its a requirement. I don't suggest for any reason that it shouldn't be. Anybody who's into VTA enough to attend an official event I'm sure doesn't mind the driver requirement.

I know others will disagree with this, but I think as long as the proportions of the "driver" are close to 1/10th scale, I enjoy seeing and using unique/funny drivers. Just adds more fun to the class IMO. I'm running a skull driver right now in my 69 Camaro. I think he (yes, I checked...) looks great in there.

If the rules were super specific that it had to be a scale scale driver, that would be a bummer I think. Of course, that's just my opinion... My wife has explained to me on many occasions that my opinion is usually wrong before I even say it!

I agree with all stated above, because we have many new onroad racers that are getting started on a budget or newer modeling skill set, it would have held up racers getting started and to the track to require the driver figure. I think it does look cool and I would not discourage anyone from adding one. We just felt at the club level it was not mandatory in order to get the class up and running. Same reason for the roar blinky esc so people could get racing without new equipment if needed.

When people are purchasing new equipment or upgrading they are encouraged to purchase the specific USVTA equipment.

Just as stated above I have no issue at all with larger events adhering tightly to the rules.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com

still the best looking camaro body ive seen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.