Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Motor Specifications: 25.5 brushless with 2C LiPo: Novak SS25.5 Pro brushless motor (pn:3425V) or Ballistic 25.5 (pn:3625V- stator only pn:S6625) Club (pn:3331) ONLY combined with any hard-cased 2C 7.4v LiPo pack up to and including 5000 mAh capacity. Novak motors are the ONLY motor allowed at this time. All house track rules regarding LiPo usage apply. Only physical motor timing advance is allowed, however Ballistic motors must not be advanced beyond the last line of the timing range sticker. 12.3 mm rotor diameter only (no "tuning" rotors are allowed, only stock Novak rotors allowed). Using ceramic bearings in the motor makes you a dork. No modifications or optional parts allowed on motor can, endbell, stator, or rotor. No cooling holes or other changes allowed to motor.
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Cooling Device...

I really don't think the rules are very clear on the usage of a cooling device... Looking for someone to clarify if this is typically an issue at other tracks?

I have read the rules many times...
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

No modifications or optional parts allowed on motor can
If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal.
Sounds pretty cut and dry to me, no parts allowed on motor can. A heat sink is an optional part, putting it on the motor makes it illegal. It's not specifically mentioned in the rules, so it's illegal.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Cooling Device

No big deal either way for me... Lap times were the same start to finish with or without. I know others were asked to remove them locally and was just curious where the general VTA community stood on the topic.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Addict

Default rsd springs reflex racing

Do anyone know anything about these springs. I brought a spring set from my lhs to use on xray t2 09. They didn't have a set of xray springs only sold them in pairs. I know they are aftermarket springs for the t6.1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marv

It could happen...

And the name be ZION!

Wait a sec...that's in a Jimmy Buffet song...

Marv!

Yeah, that's it... Marv!

OR

By The Battman driving Marv's Sprint 2.
I told you before when you let me run the silk purse, " I would race it"......

Originally Posted by JFuel11
Hello,

I wanted to check on a concern I have regarding cooling fans and motor heatsinks...

Is it legal or non-legal in VTA to run motor fan or heatsink with built in fan?

Thanks
Originally Posted by JFuel11
I really don't think the rules are very clear on the usage of a cooling device... Looking for someone to clarify if this is typically an issue at other tracks?

I have read the rules many times...
Originally Posted by The Captain
Sounds pretty cut and dry to me, no parts allowed on motor can. A heat sink is an optional part, putting it on the motor makes it illegal. It's not specifically mentioned in the rules, so it's illegal.
The original intent was to dis-allow the "optional" permanent heat sink/fan made by Novak which required the motor to be physically taken apart to install it. The use of any other optional heatsink fan has always been legal, with the exception of the LRP model that had a 40mm fan.

It was also implemented to dis-allow the light weight, vented, optional internal fan assembly made by Eagle racing and sold thru Integy.
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am pretty sure that a fan alone is not illegal. A clip on heatsink I think is ok, but I do remember there being a problem with the replacement Novak center ring that has the heatsink on it. That I believe was not allowed.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I am pretty sure that a fan alone is not illegal. A clip on heatsink I think is ok, but I do remember there being a problem with the replacement Novak center ring that has the heatsink on it. That I believe was not allowed.
I think we tied, but yes, Snoop, you are correct
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Default Thanks for the information

I kinda figured that would be the case as the intent was for the motor to not be modified with optional performance parts.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

I interpret the rule as no heat sinks to discourage people from over gearing and having to replace motors constantly due to heat damage. Some people are intent on winning and dont mind dumping money on new motors, so they gear to the moon and have a faster car. To me, this is not "the spirit of the class".

Heat sink or not those guys will still over gear, so I guess it doesnt matter.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Default Yes... And No...

Originally Posted by The Captain
I interpret the rule as no heat sinks to discourage people from over gearing and having to replace motors constantly due to heat damage. Some people are intent on winning and dont mind dumping money on new motors, so they gear to the moon and have a faster car. To me, this is not "the spirit of the class".

Heat sink or not those guys will still over gear, so I guess it doesnt matter.

It is a basic fact that gearing is direclty related to how well your car is working and getting through the corners. An effecent chassis can pull more gear than a non-effecent chassis. Some may burn up motors not because they are over-geared but because they are over-geared for their setup.

I push my motor hard but have been running the same motor for well over a month now with no decrease in performance and it temps out at 160ish after 8 min run.

You have to ask yourself are you really getting beat down the straights or through the infield... Be honest on this quesiton... It matters!

Regarding the heat sinks and fans... I can take them or leave them, laptimes were unchanged either way.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would like to USVTA allow us to use non Novak motors . Is Novak afraid that they can't compete with other motor manufacturers ?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so is my LRP fan illegal?...this is what Im using on my TC6...and the other on my TC4

http://www.teamassociated.com/lrp/pa...ails/LRP82520/

http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/31037/
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-lrp82520_md.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-31037_md.jpg  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
so is my LRP fan illegal?...this is what Im using on my TC6...and the other on my TC4

http://www.teamassociated.com/lrp/pa...ails/LRP82520/

http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/31037/
Well according to the rules "No modifications or optional parts allowed on motor can, endbell, stator, or rotor." Is the aluminum heat sink considered an optional part? Seems the rules are a bit vague regarding the heat sink. I would like to know the official rule on this because I'm looking to buy a cooling fan soon.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

RSD makes a nice fan mount that bolts to the chassis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.