Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I'm getting ready to transition from parking lot asphalt to tight, indoor carpet. Any key, initial changes to make to the car that I should be aware of. Other than running a 12th scale on carpet once about a year ago, it is a completely new thing for me. Any input is welcome, thanks. Btw- the USVTA official rules are being implemented here (MD) soon as well, in hopes that it draws more racers to the class.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
+1 I have a 1/10 scale Nikko 1972 Pontiac Firebird shell if they need one to create a mold.
Someday that Nikko will make it into a real lexan body.... I have the faith
Old 10-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
All right! That's good to hear coming from JConcepts!

+1 I have a 1/10 scale Nikko 1972 Pontiac Firebird shell if they need one to create a mold.
Why don't you just race your '72 Pontiac Firebird in VTA already?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
Why don't you just race your '72 Pontiac Firebird in VTA already?
I don't race it for a couple reasons ...
  1. The body is made out of injection molded plastic and is very brittle.
  2. This Nikko model has been out of production for 9 years and it is very hard to find.
  3. The Nikko plastic body weighs 1132 grams on its own.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

hey wwddww34, is that Nikko Firebird that you have similar to this one listed on eBay? ...
VINTAGE RC NIKKO RADIO CONTROLLED TRANS AM FIREBIRD
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA
hey wwddww34, is that Nikko Firebird that you have similar to this one listed on eBay? ...
VINTAGE RC NIKKO RADIO CONTROLLED TRANS AM FIREBIRD
Yes it is the same exact one. Except my Nikko Pontiac Firebird body has been mounted on an old HPI RS4 Pro 3 chassis and has VTA tires and wheels on it.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes it is the same exact one. Except my Nikko Pontiac Firebird body has been mounted on an old HPI RS4 Pro 3 chassis and has VTA tires and wheels on it.
Have you tried contacting these guys yet, Dave?

RLJ Molding, LLC

RJ Speed is one of their divisions.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
Possibly since you didnt respond to a couple in the same time frame either. But didnt respond to text about pictures or anything either so figured I upset you somehow and took it all as such. No worries either way
oh no...you are good with me..I just had alot of make-up work and time was very small....I tried to answer all the pm,text,emails and calls...and very possible miss some...sorry about that...re-send your pm or text and Ill get the info to ya..asap...once again sorry about that
Old 10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Marv

RLJ Molding, LLC

Not yet. I will go ahead and contact them now. I'll keep you posted on what they say.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Not yet. I will go ahead and contact them now. I'll keep you posted on what they say.
I think youd have a nice little market for them as long as their not over sized like the 70 camaro body.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default vta gearing

Hi guys I am runnig a sakura zero and i am looking for advice on gearing . I understand that there are different ideas out there just wanna pick some of ideas. How do you dtermine the sweet spot of rpms is it someting measured or just a feel. Is smaller spurs and larger pinons better than larger spurs and smaller pinion? Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by buckeye dan
Hi guys I am runnig a sakura zero and i am looking for advice on gearing . I understand that there are different ideas out there just wanna pick some of ideas. How do you dtermine the sweet spot of rpms is it someting measured or just a feel. Is smaller spurs and larger pinons better than larger spurs and smaller pinion? Thanks for your input in advance.
I just start with a set FDR for our track. Most of us run as close to a 4.0 as we can. I am running a 100/47 combo. I haven't noticed any difference running a larger spur vs a smaller spur. Im sure someone can chime in as to the diffrence ,but I just try and get to a good FDR for the track. I try and gear to where I am reaching top speed about half way down the track. This seems to give me the top end I need for the straight and the low end punch for the infield.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

hey guys just passing info...but the Hotshots crew in GA is holding a great event for USVTA, Nov 3

http://www.rctech.net/forum/georgia-...hotshotrc.html

Hello everyone, we at Hot Shot RC are proud to present the 2012 Georgia On Road Championship, G.O.R.C., Saturday November 3rd!

We already have several sponsors lined up including, BOCA Bearings, Solaris Tires, & SXT Traction Compounds.

Classes will include USVTA, USGT, F1 21.5, TC 17.5 Sportman, 1/12 13.5 Spec.

We will be post registration on RCSignup soon, as well as the race schedule & rules, plus more details on the event.
Please feel free to post any questions for the event here on this thread.
So everyone, lets get those race cars together and ready to race!

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13500520829372
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-gorc_flyer.jpg  
Old 10-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
Originally Posted by Marv

RLJ Molding, LLC

I think youd have a nice little market for them as long as their not over sized like the 70 camaro body.
Marv, I got a response from Rick Jordan, owner of RLJ Molding. He said that they are overloaded with mold work right now for their own projects and don't see any openings for the next few months. He also said that the demand for their RJ Speed '68 Chevrolet Camaro bodies and '65 Ford Mustang bodies has been very low, so adding yet another VTA body to the list is questionable.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Marv, I got a response from Rick Jordan, owner of RLJ Molding. He said that they are overloaded with mold work right now for their own projects and don't see any openings for the next few months. He also said that the demand for their RJ Speed '68 Chevrolet Camaro bodies and '65 Ford Mustang bodies has been very low, so adding yet another VTA body to the list is questionable.
Considering when you go their website and to their bodies and their camaro and mustang bodies arent even listed for purchase, or even on the downloadable PDF of all their bodies......yeah would make sales numbers low. Personally I dont like the quality of their body designs. No where near the HPI bodies. More like the Parma

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.