Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

VTA with current rules is so dialed and fun but we are just human and look for the next shiny thing
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
VTA with current rules is so dialed and fun but we are just human and look for the next shiny thing
+1
Don' change the USVTA Rules. It's working great and VTA classes are growing around the world.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Yes the USVTA spec wheels will fit on a Traxxas 4-Tec. I have tried using a 4-Tec in VTA races. It was on par with the HPI Sprint 2. Don't expect a very high performance from the 4-Tec.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
+1 you can run ROAR spec, but if you do that you should let the newbies know that they will have to comply with the National rule set if they want to go to Non ROAR AKA USVTA races. .
This is what I think we will do. However I am looking for reasons and understanding behind why there is a bias against going the ROAR Approved Blinky ESC list route before we do that.

Originally Posted by robk
Gary if this is a big issue, run the ROAR rules, which are vta rules, but any 25.5, any blinky esc, no mah limit and no driver required.
Rob, please tell me that you don't really think that running ROAR rules eliminates the driving aspect of this class. You're smarter than that and I hope you were just being snarky.

I know some of you will ask what the difference is between these escs and blinky mode escs? That is a question I have been considering as well. It's also why there has been a lot of evaluation, which will continue.
I guess this is my greater point. What, in the end, is the difference. It really seems, from the outside, like this is paranoia against one manufacturer's hardware due to something that cropped up 3 years ago. That being said my focus at our new track for VTA is to sing the praises of it being an inexpensive class to run. Tires are cheap and last forever. You're not going as fast so they're easier to driver and you break less stuff when you hit things. The Novak Club system is going to be a focal ESC/Motor combo. These are all good things for the newbies.

However, in our case where this is the first decent on-road track in the area in years and no-one is running on-road, we also need to get the Off Road guys to buy in and see on-road as a viable option through VTA. We don't have a USGT or 17.5 class for people to run and, honestly, I don't know how much we want to promote multiple classes in the beginning. The more classes you have the more you dilute your turnout. In our case, again trying to build from the ground-up, going with the ROAR standards instead of VTA will make it easier for guys, who have to buy a car since they're off road guys, to come and run. This is one of the reasons guys are looking to run sedan and not so much at 1/12-scale or the World GT class... those both require different 1S packs than what these guys already have for their standard 1/10-scale cars. Again, I guess my focus is lowering the barrier of entry and making it as easy as possible for as many people to run the class when it comes to a higher-dollar purchase such as an ESC.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
However I am looking for reasons and understanding behind why there is a bias against going the ROAR Approved Blinky ESC list route before we do that.
Just my 2¢ -

Which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Last edited by Marv; 10-17-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This is what I think we will do. However I am looking for reasons and understanding behind why there is a bias against going the ROAR Approved Blinky ESC list route before we do that.
the speedo issue is based off people 'accidently' leaving boost on, or leaving it in the 'wrong' mode - be it a legit accident or to cheat...

the speedos that are on this list are NOT programmable, nor do they offer different 'modes' that they can be placed in..they are simply a blinky speedo with simple adjustments

and for a class like this, it needs to stay this way...I'm sure you've been at a race where someone 'accidently' left their speedo in the wrong mode or the preception that bubba over there has their speedos programmed different...I know you've been around for a long while and I'm sure you've seen this at least a few times..

the list takes this out of the equation - sure, it doesn't kill the this speedo is better then that speedo game, but it removes the 'he's cheating because his is not in blinky mode' bullcrap

so if you feel ROAR-spec VTA is what you need at your track, then go for it..but as a whole (all across the US), the USVTA rules work pretty damn good

but that's just my 2 cents
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can someone explain why the 1550 wt.?
seems way heavy-just askin'
xtra 125 gr on a cyclone s is wearin stuff out quick.especially tires-
Old 09-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wwddww34
+1
Don' change the USVTA Rules. It's working great and VTA classes are growing around the world.
+1

What drew me to USVTA in the first place was knowing that everyone had the same power plant/fuel system under the hood so to speak. If the rules had required the same chassis, I would have understood that too.

To me the goal of USVTA was similar to an I.R.O.C. race. I knew that all I needed to do was practice and improve my driving skills and learn how to set up my car to be competitive. I didn't have to have infinite knowledge of motors/ESCs/Tires, etc.

I know better now, but at the time, I didnt' even like seeing other VTA racers using tire warmers and $400 chassis (I bought my TC3 for $60). It seemed like they had an advantage over me because were spending more money than me.

Our local track runs a Tamiya TT-01 class. Box stock. I like it too for the same reasons.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hesh
LSRCC in Duluth~ Thats us up here~ out 17.5 1s vta has been our biggest class the last 2 years, and down in the cities they run 21.5 2s...

That being said, /topic change
belt drive versus shaft drive /debate on
pros? cons?
Hey Hesh,

Jason from up in thunder bay.

Personally I like Shafty as I find it has less rolling resistance and the "torque steer" issues that the belt drives came out to cure are not a problem in low power situations.

Now a really loose belt driven car is close to a shafty it takes more work to get it there.

But again that's just my opinion from what I experience up here.

But I can out acceleration most of the belt driven cars out of the corner
Old 09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Rob, please tell me that you don't really think that running ROAR rules eliminates the driving aspect of this class. You're smarter than that and I hope you were just being snarky.
Gary,
I have no idea what you mean the "driving aspect". I am simply telling you that if you think that USVTA speed control rules are a barrier to entry, the ROAR rules are probably what you need to look at. Or just tell the guy to allow blinky escs. It's not going to be a problem, this program is somewhat successful.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GasGod
you're not going to wear anything out...my tires from the USVTA nationals from 2 years ago were still good this winter, and still have plenty of runtime left in them..

i didn't like it either, but the cars actually handle better...
Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

IMO it is to keep the TC3's and other heavier, older (and inexpensive!) chassis competitive with the lighter, newer $$ ones.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Gary,
I have no idea what you mean the "driving aspect". I am simply telling you that if you think that USVTA speed control rules are a barrier to entry, the ROAR rules are probably what you need to look at. Or just tell the guy to allow blinky escs. It's not going to be a problem, this program is somewhat successful.
I think he mistook your "no driver required" as part of the roar description rules, thought you meant no driving skill required instead of no driver figure required.

Just a guess
Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

let's see...we've had the

motor arguement
the speedo arguement
the weight arguement
driver requirement arguement

where's the battery arguement guy?? need that for the perfect way to end the week
Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.