Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by xrayroooahhhh
My kind of testing!!! I like that shell.....I guess what I was getting at if you only change the body style (keep chassis set up exactly the same) would the car handle and produce exactly the same lap times?

Why I ask....I like toooo many of the body styles to settle on just one.....if I slammed a different one on is the car going to drive like a tank or just keep rollin'

Come on I know someone out there has actually tested this!!!!

R
I know for a fact, since I drove these bodies before, that the Pegasus "Big Fish" Cuda, Pegasus SS Camaro, Parma Boss Mustang, Parma Hemi Cuda, and the Parma 69 Camaro will make your car feel like you are driving with a parachute attached to the car. Other than that, all the HPI bodies and Protoform J71 bodies feel the same when your driving. The HPI AAR Cuda and HPI Dodge Challenger are wider than the other Vintage bodies, but they still feel about the same as all the others.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Not looking for any advantage.....simple question snoopy.....have you ever changed body styles and did you have to adjust the set up on the car (aside from changing height on body posts)?

R

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
This comes up about once every ten pages. Just pick your favorite brick.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Sweet.....I will have a "herd" before long!! Any experience with the Mcallister Mustang?

Thanks

R

Originally Posted by wwddww34
I know for a fact, since I drove these bodies before, that the Pegasus "Big Fish" Cuda, Pegasus SS Camaro, Parma Boss Mustang, Parma Hemi Cuda, and the Parma 69 Camaro will make your car feel like you are driving with a parachute attached to the car. Other than that, all the HPI bodies and Protoform J71 bodies feel the same when your driving. The HPI AAR Cuda and HPI Dodge Challenger are wider than the other Vintage bodies, but they still feel about the same as all the others.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Sweet.....I will have a "herd" before long!! Any experience with the Mcallister Mustang?

Thanks

R
My friend Bill (aka. GP40X) bought a McAllister Mustang and I put it side-by-side with my Parma Boss Mustang and they were identical. Even the thickness of the plastic was the same. So I can only assume that the McAllister Mustang will make your car feel like its "parachute driving" just like the Parma body did.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Not looking for any advantage.....simple question snoopy.....have you ever changed body styles and did you have to adjust the set up on the car (aside from changing height on body posts)?

R
I recommend sticking to one of the 12 bodies in this picture...
Old 07-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

My friend Bill (aka. GP40X) bought a McAllister Mustang and I put it side-by-side with my Parma Boss Mustang and they were identical. Even the thickness of the plastic was the same. So I can only assume that the McAllister Mustang will make your car feel like its "parachute driving" just like the Parma body did.
??????? The McAllister mustang is no where identical to the parma body. The parma has huge fender flares and the McAllister has much more rear quarter panel. Besides the fact that the McAllister is a 69 and parma is a 70. If I'm not mistaken the parma has a hood scoop as well where the McAllister has the smooth hood. The McAllister body does just fine in vta. The Pegasus mustang also does very well. I have seen both run up front in larger vta events.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Here's a pic of my friend's McAllister Mustang...

and here's a pic of the Parma Mustang...

The overall dimensions (i.e. length, width and height) are the same. The hood scoop is missing from the McAllister version and there is more of a "chin spoiler" on the McAllister version than on the Parma.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
??????? The McAllister mustang is no where identical to the parma body. The parma has huge fender flares and the McAllister has much more rear quarter panel. Besides the fact that the McAllister is a 69 and parma is a 70. If I'm not mistaken the parma has a hood scoop as well where the McAllister has the smooth hood. The McAllister body does just fine in vta. The Pegasus mustang also does very well. I have seen both run up front in larger vta events.
+1. Anyone that looks at these two bodies side by side and believes they are identical needs to look a little closer. The Parma is longer, narrower, and has less height. The McAllister has much smoother lines.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mustangs-001.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mustangs-002.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mustangs-003.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mustangs-004.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mustangs-005.jpg  

Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Identical bodies???
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mustangs-006.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mustangs-008.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mustangs-009.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mustangs-010.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Originally Posted by beemerfan
Identical bodies???
+1. Anyone that looks at these two bodies side by side and believes they are identical needs to look a little closer. The Parma is longer, narrower, and has less height. The McAllister has much smoother lines.
Well there you have it. What about the HPI BOSS 302 Mustang? Got one of those to put next to the Parma and McAllister?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Well there you have it. What about the HPI BOSS 302 Mustang? Got one of those to put next to the Parma and McAllister?
If I did you know it would already have been in the picture. I "can't" try one until the Parma is gone. I don't let myself have more than one year and make of the same kind at a time. The HPI '70 Boss Mustang is way more scale looking, but it wasn't available when I painted the Parma '70 Boss Mustang. The darn thing is so durable that it went two seasons with me and may never wear out now that I don't race it much anymore.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

whats the excuse now?....GREAT BUY!!!!!

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...?p=12280&c=ESC

Cirtix Stock Club Race ESC...$46.00
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-2010227124514sp-12280-r11.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Body Tests.

I have run, in no particular order, HPI 68',69' Camaro's, HPI 70 Boss, and Pegasus Mustang's.

They do all handle differently for me on the same car with the exact same setup.

The 69' for me seems to have the biggest understeer while the pegasus is the most consistent. The HPI 68 Camaro and Boss drive the most similar to each other.

We seem to be seeing more J71's on the asphalt this year,probably due to the lower front end and full wrap around spoiler/splitter that tends to lend itself to more steering as well as considerably more body flex (similar to a pegasus).
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

what a blast we had this sunday VTA just keeps growing in florida now
we have some real racers and tracks helping it out
have some pics will post asap
and the VTA MAFIA gained some new members

Final USVTA Leaders
Dave Franklin 497*
Pete Pepe 495
Scott Meeks 390
David Keen 384
Pete Pepe Jr 380
Greg Gormin 98
Abner Telebrico 97*
David Fair 97*TB
Warren Parsons 97
Richard Carpenter 96
Daniel Medina 93

this was our first $$$$$$ race
top 3 got green lol
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
whats the excuse now?....GREAT BUY!!!!!

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...?p=12280&c=ESC

Cirtix Stock Club Race ESC...$46.00
The Reventon's must (finally) be right around the corner if they are blowing these out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.