Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Good fun all around.
Thanks for the update that was awesome!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Sorry the work computer double post. Usually V.bulletin will block the repeat.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
So which of the two motors have you guys had better luck with from a temp/longevitiy stand point? I know a motor can blow if you push it too hard no matter what but just curious.

DarkSide...chime in here.
Doesn't matter, learn to drive!

It seems more personal preference. Myron runs a Ballistic, Melvin (who can give Myron a run for his money when he doesn't forget his car) swears by the SS. Ballistic is more friendly when it comes to being rebuildable (replacing failed components). Both seem to have similar heat tolerances. Not sure about Myron's temps, but Danny was coming off at 180 (no fan), Daniel at 200 (heat sink and fan, but forgot to plug in the fan), and myself at 135 (with fan). Daniel and I were both geared at 3.76, Danny at 3.51, Myron around 3.7.

I will tell you that on the dyno, the RPM and KV numbers are signifigantly higher for the ballistic, but the amp draw is also much higher. My impression is that both are similar, but you will be gearing them very different (Melvin gears his SS as low as 3.1). It just seems their torque and rpm curves are in different places, but do not seem to be much faster or slower then each other once you dial in the timing and gear.

I have not heard of timing board failures in SS motors, but I have in the ballistics. Not sure what others have seen.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Doesn't matter, learn to drive!

It seems more personal preference. Myron runs a Ballistic, Melvin (who can give Myron a run for his money when he doesn't forget his car) swears by the SS. Ballistic is more friendly when it comes to being rebuildable (replacing failed components). Both seem to have similar heat tolerances. Not sure about Myron's temps, but Danny was coming off at 180 (no fan), Daniel at 200 (heat sink and fan, but forgot to plug in the fan), and myself at 135 (with fan). Daniel and I were both geared at 3.76, Danny at 3.51, Myron around 3.7.

I will tell you that on the dyno, the RPM and KV numbers are signifigantly higher for the ballistic, but the amp draw is also much higher. My impression is that both are similar, but you will be gearing them very different (Melvin gears his SS as low as 3.1). It just seems their torque and rpm curves are in different places, but do not seem to be much faster or slower then each other once you dial in the timing and gear.

I have not heard of timing board failures in SS motors, but I have in the ballistics. Not sure what others have seen.
So which one has more pull coming out through the corner.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
So which one has more pull coming out through the corner.
I hate to be cryptic, but both. I have not seen Myron and Melvin run together, and those 2 guys are pretty equal (both will hate me saying that), and both pull like mad out of the corners. I think both can be equal given the proper gearing and timing adjustment. The ballistic seems to have a wider range of adjustment for timing (so you might be able to set it up for more torque or top end), but my gut says the SS motor has a litle more torque naturally.

Really, unless you are on a budget and looking for an SS because of cost, I would recommend the ballistic. Replacable stator and timing board alone makes it worth it in the off chance you fry either. The timing actually has marks so you can see how much you are adjusting it. It also lets you change stators if you decide to go to USGT or something else down the road without buying an entire new motor.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

From what Iv'e read in posts on other threads "The motor doesn't matter......learn to drive!!!"

Actually the motors are so close in output you would be better off spending the time finding the correct gear ratio and timing setting for your driving style and track size/lay out than pondeing over which of the two 25.5 motor has more punch out of the corner.

Or just lubricate all your bearing with unicorn blood like Myron does

Last edited by Hexonox; 06-14-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Hexonox
... Or just lubricate all your bearing with unicorn blood like Myron does
If you are going to that extreme then you also have to put Vaseline on your motor wires to get 1 second faster. If you want another 1 second off your lap times then you have to install a purple aluminum heat sink on your servo.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/florida-...23rd-24th.html

just a reminder

Sorry I'm putting this up so late
But Kissimmee race way is going to be holding a roar regionals
And the USVTA class will be a promoter or invite class
Just wanted you guys to know USVTA is growing in Florida
Old 06-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hexonox
Or just lubricate all your bearing with unicorn blood like Myron does
I saw him Wednesday night down at Hot Shots and he had already switched from unicorn blood to Pixie Dust. He said he gained 2/10ths just from that.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I saw him Wednesday night down at Hot Shots and he had already switched from unicorn blood to Pixie Dust. He said he gained 2/10ths just from that.
Thank goodness..he hasn't found out about the xtra zoot fom dust bunnys...heh heh heh
Old 06-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

you guys are awful...lol

thanks for having me..I really hope my visit shed some light on some things...I dont mind the drive as long as it benefits the US VTA racers and clubs. You guys are why I do it...and will continue to do so as long as the class is around...and with clubs like Hotshots in GA...the US VTA class is gaining ground...thanks to Brad and Joe and all the Hotshot racers for supporting the VTA and GT classes

http://hotshotrc.com/wordpress/
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-banner1.jpg  
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy the VTA class. This class has brought me back out to the track in the last 2 months after not really doing much Racing over the last 10 years. I bought a JRXS Type R to use in VTA from a fellow rctech member, and recently purchased another to use as a complete spare ans to have for anyone else who wants to give it a try to pick up and run with. Though I have a ways to go with getting smoother while on the stand, I have been able to finish top 3 or 4 each time. One of my biggest problems so far is getting the timing and gearing correct as these guys at our track are just about to touch the 2.99 mark on FDR. I have a couple of fans to throw on it for the next race, and hope that keeps the motor from falling off a little late in the run.

My current VTA car. A JRXS Type R with a spool up front and a PRS Spur adapter.

The Spare VTA Car. A JRXS Type R with a one way and flying Fox layshaft.

Me changing battery the first day back out to the track.

Kurtis
Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cegpcola
Just wanted to say that I really enjoy the VTA class. This class has brought me back out to the track in the last 2 months after not really doing much Racing over the last 10 years. I bought a JRXS Type R to use in VTA from a fellow rctech member, and recently purchased another to use as a complete spare ans to have for anyone else who wants to give it a try to pick up and run with. Though I have a ways to go with getting smoother while on the stand, I have been able to finish top 3 or 4 each time. One of my biggest problems so far is getting the timing and gearing correct as these guys at our track are just about to touch the 2.99 mark on FDR. I have a couple of fans to throw on it for the next race, and hope that keeps the motor from falling off a little late in the run.

My current VTA car. A JRXS Type R with a spool up front and a PRS Spur adapter.

The Spare VTA Car. A JRXS Type R with a one way and flying Fox layshaft.

Me changing battery the first day back out to the track.

Kurtis
You wouldn't by any chance know someone that wants to buy a JRXS (not the type R) as a roller for VTA do you? I have one that is in good shape that I'm trying to sell.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Not sure on the JRXS, as they are a little more difficult to get Lipos in then the type R. That is the only real downfall to the chassis design on either one. If it was a type R, I might be interested as you can never have enough parts. I will keep my eye out and send them your direction if I come across someone needing a decent chassis though.

Kurtis
Old 06-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

where do you race at? Kurtis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.