Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 04-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Heres the car.
That Chevy II Nova would make a very cool VTA body.

BTW, is anybody interested in a brand new HPI Sprint 2 RTR with 1969 Camaro body?

Last edited by wwddww34; 04-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

For the record, if you don't like the HK batteries, the ThunderPower has a 2700 35c ROAR approved hard case battery I have used, and it is available for about $35. There are also 3300 and 4300 batteries in 35c and 60c as well, but they cost more. I'm just adding this since I know they are in production.

As far as spoilers, you should be using the one that came with the body. I guess I'll have to change that. As far as the Mustang, which has no molded in or add on spoiler, I have been considering for a long time to allow a small lexan spoiler to be used. I know Doug Carter had said long ago he had no problem with adding something like that to keep everybody even. I will get that squared away once I measure some of the other spoilers.

Also, X drive testing will commence tomorrow so this issue can finally be put to bed.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk

Also, X drive testing will commence tomorrow so this issue can finally be put to bed.
Thanks Rob for all your hard work
Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
I got a buddy who has a 69 Chevelle SS....and is looking for a 69 Chevelle RC body to fit his tc3. Any of you guys know where he could find one? Or something that looks close enough?
Try: http://www.rccarkings.net/bodies.htm#rjspeed
scroll down and you will see the Chevy Chevelle.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As far as spoilers, you should be using the one that came with the body. I guess I'll have to change that. As far as the Mustang, which has no molded in or add on spoiler, I have been considering for a long time to allow a small lexan spoiler to be used. I know Doug Carter had said long ago he had no problem with adding something like that to keep everybody even. I will get that squared away once I measure some of the other spoilers.
Im sorry that this little issue has had so much debate over the last few pages. I am sorry that every little detail requires your mediation and that nothing seems to work its self out. I hate that the spoiler issue is now causing you to have to do homework, but I appreciate that you are willing to do the math. That and all of the other things you do for this class and RC in general. Thanks for all you do.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

For the record, if you don't like the HK batteries, the ThunderPower has a 2700 35c ROAR approved hard case battery I have used, and it is available for about $35. There are also 3300 and 4300 batteries in 35c and 60c as well, but they cost more. I'm just adding this since I know they are in production.

cool...also for the Southern Nats I went with 10mm height for the spoilers on the HPI 1970 Boss...

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 04-04-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
cool...also for the Southern Nats I went with 10mm height for the spoilers and HPI 1970 Boss...
I measured the Cuda at 12.8mm and the Javelin closer to 12.4mm. Depending on if I squint or tilt my head like a dog.

I have heard random reports of racers getting more punch out of lower capacity and lower c rating batteries when used in VTA. Has anyone experienced this? I wonder what might cause this phenomenon. It seems to go against conventional wisdom.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I measured the Cuda at 12.8mm and the Javelin closer to 12.4mm. Depending on if I squint or tilt my head like a dog.

I have heard random reports of racers getting more punch out of lower capacity and lower c rating batteries when used in VTA. Has anyone experienced this? I wonder what might cause this phenomenon. It seems to go against conventional wisdom.
I would really depend on the internal resistance of the packs they were trying
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Help me wrap my brain around something...

All things being equal--
A 25.5 motor set to the stock timing mark will have:
More punch off the corner, less top end

-whereas a-

25.5 motor set to a higher timing mark (45 degrees for example) will have:
less punch off the corner and more top end.

Why I'm asking-- I've only ever used the 25.5 SS motor on a tight technical track. Now I have both a SS and a Balistic so i'm trying to figure out what the optimum gearing/timing settings are on a larger, flowing track. I feel that i'm pretty close on my chassis setup and driving skills but i've never had to think about motor timing.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc

I can attest to this, although not tested in VTA. When I run Thunderpower batts in my truck, SC10, I seem to run better/faster when using 40c 5000mah batts compared to 65c 4300mah batts. All things being equal, no gear change, fully charged batteries, 17.5 blinky class truck.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

http://events.rcsignup.com/events/di...nt.cfm?ID=2625

I do apologize for the lateness of this as well as the not having the spec tires sooner. This is and should not be any reflection on anyone other than myself for not having them sooner.

We will have a "special" run-in/practice time for USGT on the spec tires for those coming in on Saturday, time TBD. Set of 4 pre-mounts will be under $20.
per Eric
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE

I do apologize for the lateness of this as well as the not having the spec tires sooner. This is and should not be any reflection on anyone other than myself for not having them sooner.

We will have a "special" run-in/practice time for USGT on the spec tires for those coming in on Saturday, time TBD. Set of 4 pre-mounts will be under $20.
per Eric
hey darkside - the link is bad on both threads
Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
it's the NEW HPI '78 Pontiac Firebird body legal for VTA?
I know some said no but do you think that might change sometime ..
I'm sure hpi put this body out for the vta guys ..
I what a 70 1/2 Baldwin camaro from hpi
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by bronc4now
I know some said no but do you think that might change sometime ..
I'm sure hpi put this body out for the vta guys ..
I what a 70 1/2 Baldwin camaro from hpi
Well considering that the last real U.S. Vintage Trans Am race was in 1972, and that HPI's new Firebird body is a 1978 model, it's not easily conceivable for the '78 Firebird to travel backwards in time 6 years to race in VTA. Heck, that's why Michael J. Fox used a DeLorean DMC-12 to travel back to the future.

So I wouldn't hold my breath for the '78 Firebird body becoming a legal USVTA body.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.