Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Apparently it came with the body and I was told it was legal because according to USTVA rules it offered "no advantage whatsoever"..
Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serzoni
Apparently it came with the body and I was told it was legal because according to USTVA rules it offered "no advantage whatsoever"..
TC wings are illegal....the trunk spoilers are legal...and on the HPI 1970 Boss, the spoiler is legal

here are some pics...Ive put the Camaro and Cud spoiler on my Mustangs before for looks...these are all legal
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mvc-994s.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-usvta-scale-nationals-2011-003.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-img_2054.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-imgp2816.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-we8b41%7E1.jpg  

Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
TC wings are illegal....the trunk spoilers are legal...and on the HPI 1970 Boss, the spoiler is legal

here are some pics...Ive put the Camaro and Cud spoiler on my Mustangs before for looks...these are all legal
There's something I'd like to see clarification on. I'm reading the "Body provided deck lid spoilers allowed" rule to mean that only the spoiler included with a particular body is allowed. That would make putting a Cuda spoiler on a Mustang fastback illegal. It's the way I believe most tracks around here have translated it as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
There's something I'd like to see clarification on. I'm reading the "Body provided deck lid spoilers allowed" rule to mean that only the spoiler included with a particular body is allowed. That would make putting a Cuda spoiler on a Mustang fastback illegal. It's the way I believe most tracks around here have translated it as well.

Exactly. Why not just remove the spoilers/wings altogether if some offer an advantage and some don't? It was my understanding that only scale spoilers were allowed, not gianormous ricer wings.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Some legal bodies have the spoiler molded in (J71). So it would be tough to eliminate them. You are correct about the wings. The only question is whether you can take the spoiler from one body kit and use it on another.

On small tracks with a lot of grip, spoilers don't make much of a difference. But on larger or medium to low grip tracks (Leisure Hours Raceway - Joliet, IL) spoilers do offer some advantage. So you will see very few people racing any Mustangs unless they are real fans. Personally, I'd like to see the spoiler rule as Darkside described it, because it might make the field of car bodies more diverse. But I've just never seen the rules interpreted that way.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I always thought that 68 Camaro Spoiler was poorly attached and easily destroyed.

Anyone come up with some good mounting options? I always leave it off so i don't have to worry about dragging it around the track for a few laps.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
I always thought that 68 Camaro Spoiler was poorly attached and easily destroyed.

Anyone come up with some good mounting options? I always leave it off so i don't have to worry about dragging it around the track for a few laps.
Leave some extra lexan on the front of it and use that to bolt it down to the body...this way its secured in the front as well as the rear. Just dont trim it out on the trim line on the front edge you will see how you can use that little extra to bolt it down and it wont come off as easy.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Don't use any bolts or screws because they will just cut through the plastic. Instead use a dab of Shoe Goo on 4 spots inside the spoiler; a dab on each end of the spoiler and a dab on the spots where you would typically put the screws through. Since I started using this technique I've had none of my spoilers come off during a race.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Good tips, thanks!!!

I'll have to do some experimenting. I'm running on a larger track now, but i didn't feel like i was missing anything by NOT having a spoiler
Old 03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I use the stock rear screws, then a piece of chassis film over the top of the spoiler stuck to the spoiler AND the body, or a sticker instead of film
Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by beemerfan

where is this?...Ive raced many tracks and have run that Mustang w/ the Camaro/Cuda spoiler many times...

Originally Posted by Serzoni
Exactly. Why not just remove the spoilers/wings altogether if some offer an advantage and some don't? It was my understanding that only scale spoilers were allowed, not gianormous ricer wings.
no TC wings....but the scale spoilers...it doesnt offer any advantage other than looks imo...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Leave some extra lexan on the front of it and use that to bolt it down to the body...this way its secured in the front as well as the rear. Just dont trim it out on the trim line on the front edge you will see how you can use that little extra to bolt it down and it wont come off as easy.
ditto...Ive been doing this for years and its works perfect...I use the same one over and over again...rather I run a Mustang or Camaro
Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
where is this?...Ive raced many tracks and have run that Mustang w/ the Camaro/Cuda spoiler many times...

no TC wings....but the scale spoilers...it doesnt offer any advantage other than looks imo...
just because you don't drive well enough to tell the difference doesn't mean there isn't an advantage. the spolier does make an advantage

and I'm the one that showed you to leave some on the front of the spoiler to bolt it down I believe.... I also leave a T section on the back to double stick, to give it extra rigidity that is required for some of the beating and banging that happens in VTA. I'll see if I can take a picture of mine.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
just because you don't drive well enough to tell the difference doesn't mean there isn't an advantage. the spolier does make an advantage

and I'm the one that showed you to leave some on the front of the spoiler to bolt it down I believe.... I also leave a T section on the back to double stick, to give it extra rigidity that is required for some of the beating and banging that happens in VTA. I'll see if I can take a picture of mine.
I drive well enough to put you a lap down...now what...lol
Old 03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Like the others say, I leave a strip on the front of mine, but I cut a slit in the body and tuck that strip into the body and under the trunklid so you don't see the extra strip and just shoe-goo it and it looks clean. You could also do that to the back of the spoiler so you don't have to worry about the screws breaking through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.