Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I’m currently running a Motiv MC3 in my VTA car and I’m very happy with it. One of the faster cars down the straight, but I can gear it very tall and still have great accel out of the corners. I’ve also yet to see it touch 130° after even an 8minute main. So I’m very pleased with that so far. I’ve also had great success with the ORCA Blitreme motors in USGT and other stock classes. I like those motors a lot as well. They seem to be just as quick as R1, Motiv, or Trinity, but fly under the radar. Those motors I gear much lower, they like to rev!
Old 02-03-2020, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I’m currently running a Motiv MC3 in my VTA car and I’m very happy with it.
I ran the MC2 for the entire 2018 season, was very happy w/ it as well.
--
I tried an XFactor this time around, its a good motor, just doesn't seem quite as fast as the R1 and "certified plus" from what i've seen.

W/ the Xfactor certified plus, i've read conflicting info. A few sources say it uses a 23m rotor, others say it uses a 25mm rotor ...so some confusion there.
R1 always is a solid choice too. I hate buying new motors, its always a leap of faith!!
Old 02-05-2020, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
W/ the Xfactor certified plus, i've read conflicting info. A few sources say it uses a 23m rotor, others say it uses a 25mm rotor ...so some confusion there.
The 25.5 Xfactor uses the 12.3 x 25mm silver rotor. The certified plus just means it's the top 5% stator/rotor along with aluminum screws, ceramic bearings and a special black endbell.
eR1c likes this.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Don't get too hung up on the motor wars. Word on the street is a spec VTA motor is in the works.
Buckaroo and eR1c like this.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mooby64
Don't get too hung up on the motor wars. Word on the street is a spec VTA motor is in the works.
There were some great times when we all ran the Novak Boss 25.5T in VTA.
Buckaroo and eR1c like this.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mooby64
So wait... we are going back to the "One Motor" rule?
Old 02-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CSeils
So wait... we are going back to the "One Motor" rule?
Hope so.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Spec motor and spec tire and limited body rules is what MADE VTA great.

The closer we get back to that, the happier I'll be. There we ZERO motor and battery and tire and body wars.

It was fast enough, it was cheap enough, it was easy enough for ANYONE, and it was downright the most fun all weekend (even for the spectators).

Likely as not, the spec motor and spec tire is going to save USGT as well from the rabbit hole that it's going down.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

why'd they get rid of the one motor rule in the first place? i don't really care what the rule is either way, but they had the rule, did away with it, and now there is talk of bringing it back?

this question coming from someone fairly new to VTA and on road racing all together. just curious.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe
why'd they get rid of the one motor rule in the first place? i don't really care what the rule is either way, but they had the rule, did away with it, and now there is talk of bringing it back?

this question coming from someone fairly new to VTA and on road racing all together. just curious.

Novak closed their doors, so the only option was to open the motor class to ROAR approved motors. HPI closing their doors limited the body choices severely, and it looked like the class was dead in the water until ProLine picked up making the tires and rims.
eR1c and thirtydaZe like this.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:28 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe

Did Novak go out of business first or did the rule change? I’ve only been in the race side of hobby for around 4 years
Old 02-05-2020, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Did Novak go out of business first or did the rule change? I’ve only been in the race side of hobby for around 4 years
Novak went out of business first.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:49 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Novak shut its doors and wasn't long before supply issues would happen with the 25.5 motors.

I'm not really keen on this one motor rule. Nearly every instance I've seen this applied has eventually failed shortly after. And surprise, surprise.....its because the motor is no longer made. Only a temporary measure unless the manufacturer can guarantee they will keep making the same exact design with the same exact quality controls in place for 5+ years. Does not make financial sense from a business perspective for the manufacturer unless they have a monopoly on more classes and that the classes continue to grow (to keep selling new motors).

Old 02-05-2020, 01:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Novak shut its doors and wasn't long before supply issues would happen with the 25.5 motors.

I'm not really keen on this one motor rule. Nearly every instance I've seen this applied has eventually failed shortly after. And surprise, surprise.....its because the motor is no longer made. Only a temporary measure unless the manufacturer can guarantee they will keep making the same exact design with the same exact quality controls in place for 5+ years. Does not make financial sense from a business perspective for the manufacturer unless they have a monopoly on more classes and that the classes continue to grow (to keep selling new motors).
If the motor is discontinued, we change the motor. ... Just like the tires.
Our club loves the USGT spec motor. I am looking forward to a spec motor in VTA.
Buckaroo likes this.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Spec motor and spec tire and limited body rules is what MADE VTA great.

The closer we get back to that, the happier I'll be. There we ZERO motor and battery and tire and body wars.

It was fast enough, it was cheap enough, it was easy enough for ANYONE, and it was downright the most fun all weekend (even for the spectators).

Likely as not, the spec motor and spec tire is going to save USGT as well from the rabbit hole that it's going down.
I'd be okay w/ a spec motor/tire and even battery. Would save a lot of people a lot of money and would help level the field.
Buckaroo and proliteandsc like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.