Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3731Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 12-25-2018, 07:43 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Most people will say that aero/bodies don't make a difference at vta speeds. While i have seen all sorts of different vta bodies doing very well, that isn't to say that they don't have different handling characteristics.
For example, i found the PF T/A to have little steering but was very stable, likely due to how far rearward the windshield is located. The McAllister Camaro has a huge amount of steering due to the big splitter and forward windshield. The J71 is very neutral. I also found the hpi 67 camaro to be neutral, but it was heavy. The McAllister bodies seemed lightest of the bodies that i've owned.
with that said, how do other bodies compare? I'm curious about the McAllister Cougar, Mustang, the new PF offerings, etc.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DBM View Post
Most people will say that aero/bodies don't make a difference at vta speeds. While i have seen all sorts of different vta bodies doing very well, that isn't to say that they don't have different handling characteristics.
For example, i found the PF T/A to have little steering but was very stable, likely due to how far rearward the windshield is located. The McAllister Camaro has a huge amount of steering due to the big splitter and forward windshield. The J71 is very neutral. I also found the hpi 67 camaro to be neutral, but it was heavy. The McAllister bodies seemed lightest of the bodies that i've owned.
with that said, how do other bodies compare? I'm curious about the McAllister Cougar, Mustang, the new PF offerings, etc.
My McAllister Cougar body weighed in at 119 grams painted and McAllister Cuda was 105 grams and the parma cuda weighed in at 139 grams.

Cougar

Parma Cuda

McAllister Cuda
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

VTA is making a comback at our track. I put together a 17.5 car for this year and got tired of it quickly. VTA is just pure fun. Cars look great and the motor is fast enough to keep you out of trouble.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:13 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by massenb203 View Post
My McAllister Cougar body weighed in at 119 grams painted and McAllister Cuda was 105 grams and the parma cuda weighed in at 139 grams.

Cougar

Parma Cuda

McAllister Cuda
Thanks for the info on their weights. How was the handling balance of each body?
Old 12-26-2018, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I keep forgettting I had a Parma 'Cuda body. I do not like it much. It looks crazy tall in comparison to the rest of the cars, and it's durability isn't something to write home about.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info on their weights. How was the handling balance of each body?
The McAllister Cuda was the best. It was more stable than the other two bodies.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I've been running the PF '69 Camaro, it is not very aerodynamic, kinda like a brick in the front and I've had a lot of push with the car. The other issue is the body is very narrow and I have a lot of wheel rubbing inside the body, I've had to raise the body up quite a bit, which then creates more issues. I just picked up the PF '71 Camaro to try, just have to get the ambition to paint and mount it. Quite a few people are running the PF '68 Mustang body and say they like it, I see it has a lot more clearance in the fender wells than what I'm currently running.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run a protoform transam dbl stick the front bumper on and driver 107 grams with my normal non "spirit of vta" paint. You are right on the aero it doesn't matter so much that some correct setup can't adjust the feel. we are all pushing bricks at a speed slow enough to not lose or gain much down force. unless you're outdoors on a pavement track than possible that aero can make some difference to handling.

Last edited by nashrcracer; 12-27-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 12-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Getting away a bit from the great body debate...how is everyone mounting their drivers in their cars? I bought the HPI Trophy Truck driver and passenger, but struggling a bit on how exactly to mount it so that it looks right and doesn't add too much additional weight.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rtebbe View Post
Getting away a bit from the great body debate...how is everyone mounting their drivers in their cars? I bought the HPI Trophy Truck driver and passenger, but struggling a bit on how exactly to mount it so that it looks right and doesn't add too much additional weight.

Thanks in advance!
sho goo or double sided tape...

Old 12-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

not much better, but its painted with a little bit of period correct in it.... The Smokey Enduro was a great one for you and still gave you your sig paint and was very VTA...I cant seem to find the pic
Old 12-27-2018, 03:51 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What options are out there for longer front body posts? I'm going from PF Mustang to a McAllister Mustang and the front posts are about 1/2" too short. To get it to work, I'd have to cut the front wheel wells into the hood! The stock AE's don't cut it.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:32 PM
Tech Champion

with the PF Mustang, for the TC7 series ...I added about 5mm shims under the front body post, along with longer screws. I didnt think the McA Stang needed shims
Old 12-27-2018, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I run the PF Mustang and have been using AE Pan Car posts. AE#8522. I have to trim the bottom of posts into a small hexagon shape as the TC6.2 that I run has hex shaped slots in the bottom plate.

AE #31625 also works for me. I realize I am running 6.2's, but I hope this gives you some ideas.

PM me if you have questions. GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-27-2018, 07:03 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post

I run a protoform transam dbl stick the front bumper on and driver 107 grams with my normal non "spirit of vta" paint. You are right on the aero it doesn't matter so much that some correct setup can't adjust the feel. we are all pushing bricks at a speed slow enough to not lose or gain much down force. unless you're outdoors on a pavement track than possible that aero can make some difference to handling.
Antioch Illinois?

from the few bodies that i've used, I'd rate them as follows:

McAllister Camaro: steering 5 stability 1
PF J71: Steering 3 stability 3
HPI 67 Camaro: Steering 3 Stability 2 but top-heavy
PF Trans Am: Steering 2 Stability 5

i have unpainted: pf mustang, hpi mustang coupe, and hpi gt 350 that I'll likely not get around to trying anytime soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.