Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3727Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 11-22-2018, 02:42 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Now some require way different FDR and timing to perform similar. Example the MC2 at 40 deg needs a FDR of 4.3, where my Reedy needs a 3.3 FDR at 40 deg.
Based on what I've seen in my first year in this hobby, I firmly believe that aside from driving skill, this is the key. Honestly, it's hard to accept that this is true and it requires extra effort and experimentation to figure it out.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the more you guys complain about stuff the more you hurt the class....

No thanks to Can-Am... 12.5 rotors and 100 or less IR are illegal, check the motor

Novak Boss and Novak SS, is the same motor... the only difference was the timing … but most figured it out on the SS

The "arguments" only come about when somebody loses.... 100% legal racers and competition DONT COMPLAIN!!!!…..they learn to get better within the rules
Old 11-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm not sure about anybody else but complaining or better discussing different opinions won't hurt the class for me, people typing on this forum won't sway me that easily my mind is not weak. It is surprising to me that the gearing varies that much between motors...
Old 11-22-2018, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is getting out of hand. I race the same guys every week in different classes and get beat by the sane guys. I've got the same batteries and motors. Will the crying ever quit- NO, See ya'll.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A couple of thoughts...

- My main reason for commenting on VTA minimum weight was to offer a different opinion, not because I thought anyone was suggesting the minimum be lowered. I should also add that at my local track we have people who are new to VTA racing cars like the Traxxas 4-tec 2.0, Associated Apex, Tamiya TA-07, etc.. All of these cars in stock form are a bit heavier than a lot of the higher end chassis. However all of the people racing these cars are having a lot of fun in the class AND their cars look pretty good on the track. They are even doing well with Protoform pre-mounts. I just wanted to remind people that the current weight is a good compromise even for people that choose to enter this class with some of the current/recent RTR kits.

- Unfortunately there is no way to have absolute parity between different motors, even if it is the same brand. There was an attempt to even things out years ago by limiting FDR with the Novak motors, but it ultimately didn't work. After the FDR rule was dropped and more motors were added, I really haven't felt that I'm getting "out-motored" by anyone. If I see anyone being blown away down the straights (going slow), I make an effort to talk to them and make sure there isn't something mechanically wrong with their car (broken parts, not using traction compound, speed control issues). After that I talk with them about gearing/timing/motor temps. I also make sure to let them know that each type of motor may require different gearing to work best (which Myron mentioned in a post above). I've seen so many new people to this class not realize that you should/can change timing on these motors and how much a difference it can make.

- I enjoy this class for one basic reason - you can spend as much or as little as you want on it and be reasonably competitive. Do I expect to podium the a-main at a national event with my multiple years old motor and batteries? Of course not. But with a little bit of effort I know I can still MAKE the a-main in a field of 50+ cars if I gear my motor correctly, get my setup right, and drive a clean race. I don't know of any other class of racing that exists like this, which is why it is fun for me.

So to end this post at the end of Turkey Day where I'm writing this, I'm thankful for all the helpful people who have raced in this class. If you see someone struggling or not having fun at your local track, help them out. They will probably be thankful too.
RKeasler, jiml, DARKSIDE and 5 others like this.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Are you guys really racing with that many people? I think I may have to drive up north for a quick vta action last race I was in we only had 5 people
Old 11-23-2018, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

What are the specific motor rules please? 100 IR I did not see posted so that is something to use.
Sorry to Rock the boat, but I just wanted facts about what the upper limits of motor specs and spirit of rules.
Thanks and God Bless,
Old 11-23-2018, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Speed Chaser View Post
Are you guys really racing with that many people? I think I may have to drive up north for a quick vta action last race I was in we only had 5 people
VTA is the biggest class at the local track...
Old 11-23-2018, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
VTA is the biggest class at the local track...
Same here. We race at the Fuzz in new port richey Florida, we get 8 to 16 racers a weekend, By far the most enjoyable racing, Everyone gets along and have fun racing each other, We really dont focus on being analitical about the rules, Just focus on good competitive racing. It has worked thus far.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

This discussion about motor rules brings up memories from years ago. same O,same Old. 30, yes 30 years ago I won a 10 minute race and one of the racers accused me of cheating: There was NO WAY I could beat him by 20 laps in a 10 min race. This was back in the days of NiCads. On the straight I backed off throttle in order to have plenty of juice left at the end. This guy would pass me on the straight, but was 40 feet behind me at the apex........................ and this continued for every corner. My answer to his claim?????????????? Swap motors and race again. Funny thing was that he declined.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Default motors

Just a thought. How about just going to the new hobby wing locked timing 25.5 motor Justock esc and 1 battery Rule And fixed spur and fdr. Across the board so everyone is the same.

Last edited by fermanracer; 11-23-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fermanracer View Post
Just a thought. How about just going to the new hobby wing locked timing 25.5 motor Justock esc and 1 battery Rule And fixed spur and fdr. Across the board so everyone is the same.
vta is fine where it is, each track can make/adjust its own rules for whats best for them.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

yeah VTA is the largest and most growing here at Apex Home of the USVTA Southern Nationals.... we popped 21 last club race...and had at least 5-8 guys out
Old 11-23-2018, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
yeah VTA is the largest and most growing here at Apex Home of the USVTA Southern Nationals.... we popped 21 last club race...and had at least 5-8 guys out
Awesome to hear, One day ill hitch a ride with ASM and run with you guys at the nationals. i hear there are some nice fast guys up there.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fermanracer View Post
Awesome to hear, One day ill hitch a ride with ASM and run with you guys at the nationals. i hear there are some nice fast guys up there.
Yes there are some fast guys up here. I'm not one of them But I'm improving. And the guys are all pretty helpful. All around good guys and a great facility. By all means, whether you like onroad or offroad, come to Apex and have a blast.

Last edited by BruceR.; 11-23-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: I have fat fingers and make typos :)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.