Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

#ApexVtaMafia that's all I got..Thank you
Old 11-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

VTA was our biggest class this weekend at the Fuzz, we had some great close racing ... getting ready for the big Turkey Shootout this weekend at Minnreg, will be running VTA on the oval saturday and road sunday

jiml likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by glennhl
Nope. This is what we have used in the past. Not sure about the future.
Weight: 1350 grams
VTA Bodies
HPI or Protoform Vintage Tires
No limit on battery capacity
25.5 Motor blinky ESC

I tried to get them to increase the weight to the VTA rules of 1450 and they wouldn't do it. It's best with our club just to go with the flow and not rock the boat. We do not want to drive people away.
Walking through the pits I rarely find anyone adding weight to there VTA cars at club races, we generally have very limited tech at local club level events. I find myself adding around 50-60g to my budget 3racing cars with mostly budget electronics to make 1450g ... I think a 1400g limit would be more then sufficient as this is where most VTA cars will fall ready to run.
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Fun laid back monday night VTA racing on the oval @ Quaker, had a small turnout but some great racing

Old 11-21-2018, 06:05 AM
Tech Champion

#USVTANation they are offering Vintage Trans-Am for the event....LETS DO IT!!!!!

https://www.rcsignup.com/events/disp...nt.cfm?id=6739
Old 11-21-2018, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Mark Your Calendars!!!!

The Windy City RC 3rd Annual Winter Classic is set for January 18th to 20th, 2019.

This year were proud to announce that Hobbywing North America is the title sponsor for whats sure to be another great race. Updates will be posted soon.....

Lone Drifter likes this.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Since it has been brought up recently, I would like to share my perspective on minimum weight in the VTA class...

I've been mainly running a TC3 or TC4 in VTA since the class went exclusively to 21.5 motors years ago (and currently 25.5 motors). Since these are tub chassis cars, I've never had a problem making minimum weight, even when it was 1550 grams. As time progressed as well as chassis & battery designs, it eventually made sense to alter the weight rule. However, I was and still am opposed to the minimum weight being 1450 grams, as 1500 grams would be a better weight for ME. But I also realize that I don't represent the majority of people who race in this class, nor do many people at big events race a car as old as mine. The weight change was good because it make it easier for people with chassis from this decade to properly setup their cars without adding/buying excessive amount of weights.

So you may ask why bother bringing this up at all? It is because I like to remind people that VTA is not just about the fast guys with the latest equipment at the biggest races. In my opinion VTA is about a racing experience. Part of that racing experience is that you don't have to have the latest and greatest equipment to enjoy this class, whether at a national event or a local club race/meeting. I feel like the current set of USVTA rules has created a class where we have parity between new/expensive chassis and old/budget chassis. Eventually as newer chassis are developed and better batteries are released, the weight rule will need to be looked at again, but hopefully not at the expense of making it more difficult to compete with older and/or heavier equipment.

One last thought; while there may be a more vocal group who would like to see lighter minimum weight in whatever class they are racing, there is also a more silent group that is happy with the current weight (and some of us who would like to see it heavier).
Kevin K, jiml, DARKSIDE and 6 others like this.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Since it has been brought up recently, I would like to share my perspective on minimum weight in the VTA class....
My post was in no way directed to the gods in an attempt to change the minimum weight on the usvta website. It was a clear response to a quote on raising it from 1350 to 1400 as that is where the majority of vta cars will fall rtr, not all tracks run tech at club races and not all tracks follow usvta rules ... no fun to have a 1450g car at a track where most vta cars don't have any weight in them, but hey we are grown men playing with toy cars for nothing more then bragging rights, you start complaining too much and people will stop showing up, been there seen that.

1550g ?? hell no, my $110 xi sport with a $25 servo, $50 esc and $40 battery comes in around 1380 rtr, I am not adding 170 grams of lead to my car just because there is that ONE racer at the track still running a 20+ year old car ... again been there done that, I gave up on my TC3 & TC4 back in 2013, switched to a XI SPORT and never looked back.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Motor rules

25.5 motor is the rule and a 12.3 rotor has to be used. Now does that stop someone from getting a $150 dollar custom 25.5 motor with ceramic bearings and a 12.3 rotor. You talk about the spirit of the class, so are you upper level VTA drivers using these high end motors?
Thanks and God Bless
Old 11-21-2018, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Stickit1Racing graphics knocking it out of the park again!

They didn’t have the 3Racing graphic but worked with me and was able to add it to their line up. They also have made the USGT/USVTA number plates for me before. The next round of bodies will look awesome.
massenb203 and JC3 like this.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

I just love drivers worrying about a custom motor and ceramic bb and rotors. It does not matter if you cant drive! Not all motors are the same and worrying about what someone has is not worth it. Driving and set-up .Every manufacture has there own why of selling there motors. the problem is drivers putting a different rotor 12.5 in the can - then you have a problem.
Even if you go to hand out motors they are not all the same.Been there and done than many times before.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

did I miss something?.... 1450 weight?.... ROAR 25.5 motors with 12.3 rotors?.... Best driver in the #USVTANation ?
Old 11-21-2018, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jsaves
Motor rules

25.5 motor is the rule and a 12.3 rotor has to be used. Now does that stop someone from getting a $150 dollar custom 25.5 motor with ceramic bearings and a 12.3 rotor. You talk about the spirit of the class, so are you upper level VTA drivers using these high end motors?
Thanks and God Bless
Not me... but Ive seen them and there isn't anything special...its smoke and mirrors. Yes better bearings will have an effect....tight sensor board deviation yes. Stout rotor Yes.... wait...oh nevermind
jiml likes this.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:50 PM
Tech Addict

Well not the response I was looking for as an answer.
I can drive and I can put together really clean races with stock motor, batt and esc. I thought this class is about drivers and driving and set up, but when a person can pull you down the straights with this “motor” and out of corners better it is not about driving or set up any more. I have my stock reedy motorlysered to its peak efficiency and still get beat by .3 per lap. Not because the person is driving better lines either, but getting out horsepowered.
So the question again, is this what this class is doing at bigger races, custom motors?
I think this is a fair question.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

no

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.