U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Like Tree1502Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 07-09-2018, 06:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default MAH

I'm curious as to why there is a MAH restriction in the official VTA rules. Is there an advantage to running a larger battery
Old 07-10-2018, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Zbegz View Post
I'm curious as to why there is a MAH restriction in the official VTA rules. Is there an advantage to running a larger battery
I tried Orca 8400 in practice, didn't see any difference in performance. The 8400 is heavier, so less weights needed to meet minimum, but times were the same.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
Glenn VTA isn't a entry level class for me it is where the senior citizens race with young guys and have a real chance to do well. I have setup station and have years of experience setting and you racing RC cars. I don't have the reactions any more for 17.5 and USGT is getting out of my wheel house. I can drive VTA make it tough on good drivers in other class when they race VTA. If VTA is entry the guys I race with in California are far from entry level. VTA is momentum racing people wonder if the fast guys are cheating because their cars are faster mostly consistency in braking and corner exit speed that allows a good driver to gear up a little higher, run the timing in the right spot have a chassis setup for VTA that takes VTA from a entry level class. Sorry that's reality of VTA. It's a fun class very close competition and you have to pay your dues to do well in.
Yes, I'm an older guy who has raced RC starting in 1982 (1/12 scale). But what you are saying kind of cements what I said. You are older and your reactions have slowed down just like mine have. And yes, I am more competitive in VTA than I am in 17.5 expert, but mainly because the VTA cars are slower and I can run a more consistent line. But if the fast guys from 17.5 were to enter VTA, they would still beat me like they do in 17.5 but not by as much. And also if a beginner shows up, what class do you want them to start in? In our club the choices are Mod, 17.5, USGT, and VTA. I believe the newbies are better off learning how to drive in VTA, again, because it's slower and easier to drive. Thus, I like to think of VTA as an entry level class, however, that doesn't mean there aren't some very good drivers in the class.
DARKSIDE, mleemor60, eR1c and 2 others like this.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

We have a novice class.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We have a novice class.
you are lucky. Most places, from what Iíve seen and read struggle to keep a class like that running consistently.
glennhl and JC3 like this.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

vta
vta racing at deans in new port richey florida last sunday
ASM, Joe Maxey, qcrc and 6 others like this.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fermanracer View Post

vta
love this
Joe Maxey likes this.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

you are lucky. Most places, from what Iíve seen and read struggle to keep a class like that running consistently.
most new r racers want to race balastic missles not slow VTA cars from what I've seen.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

most new r racers want to race balastic missles not slow VTA cars from what I've seen.
Thatís correct. I know I did. Iíd spent years running course layouts solo that I could reach speeds in mid 30ís, maybe hit 40mph on the straight. But that was as a solo. It took me watching multiple times and then finally trying to realize that mid 20ís can look fast in a confined space with multiple vehicles running.
It would be great to get to them to that point. Loose most when they start hearing costs. Even when done on a budget. Iím still the new driver in my group. Iím in year 2. Rest are in year 20 and longer.
Itís not easy. But itís up to us to explain to those interested thatís itís not all about speed. Thereís far more to it.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 AM
JC3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

That’s correct. I know I did. I’d spent years running course layouts solo that I could reach speeds in mid 30’s, maybe hit 40mph on the straight. But that was as a solo. It took me watching multiple times and then finally trying to realize that mid 20’s can look fast in a confined space with multiple vehicles running.
It would be great to get to them to that point. Loose most when they start hearing costs. Even when done on a budget. I’m still the new driver in my group. I’m in year 2. Rest are in year 20 and longer.
It’s not easy. But it’s up to us to explain to those interested that’s it’s not all about speed. There’s far more to it.
I had pretty realistic expectations when I started 6 months ago. The driving was harder than I expected I must admit. Car setup and prep is just as much fun and challenging as I thought it would be. I didn't expect how addictive and rewarding the hobby would be as well as how nice the people are. You do indeed have to be careful not to get caught up in the 'stuff' aspect of the hobby or the cost will get you good! I've had that discussion with several people. $20 here and $100 there really adds up after a while.

I launched head on into racing. Ran as a backmarker, frequently crashed out or broke, and ruined a couple of nicely painted bodies on the TC4 along the way. Graduated to a TC7.1 and am slowly finding pace, line, and position. Still struggling with driving in traffic and smart passing. Making more sense of setup changes. I think you just have to take your lumps and get out there, race, and learn the hard way. I get a bit better with every race day I have. I'm still in the back but not last and finishing every race. Feels really good.

Like you, my club is the same, most are old timers and one guy is a former Fantom factory driver running in VTA. Fortunately, they are great guys and are willing to help. Definitely far more to it.
Billy Kelly and massenb203 like this.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I had pretty realistic expectations when I started 6 months ago. The driving was harder than I expected I must admit. Car setup and prep is just as much fun and challenging as I thought it would be. I didn't expect how addictive and rewarding the hobby would be as well as how nice the people are. You do indeed have to be careful not to get caught up in the 'stuff' aspect of the hobby or the cost will get you good! I've had that discussion with several people. $20 here and $100 there really adds up after a while.

I launched head on into racing. Ran as a backmarker, frequently crashed out or broke, and ruined a couple of nicely painted bodies on the TC4 along the way. Graduated to a TC7.1 and am slowly finding pace, line, and position. Still struggling with driving in traffic and smart passing. Making more sense of setup changes. I think you just have to take your lumps and get out there, race, and learn the hard way. I get a bit better with every race day I have. I'm still in the back but not last and finishing every race. Feels really good.

Like you, my club is the same, most are old timers and one guy is a former Fantom factory driver running in VTA. Fortunately, they are great guys and are willing to help. Definitely far more to it.
The ďold timersĒ in my group are still all in there late 40ís. Even they over estimate speeds until I showed them for my gps and speed gun. That was one of my first suprises. They knew gearing, FDR, and lap times. But had never really considered actual speed.

My expectations were mixed when I first started. At the time there was a almost 50/50 mix. 5 experienced drivers, 4/5 of us that were ďrookie racersĒ but had been in hobby for 5-10 years. I didnít expect that 13 months later Iíd been the only ďnew guyĒ still running. With this mix I figured our races would basically end up split in two. Fast guys running top 5, the rest of us having our own race within a race. And for race or two it was. Then 3 quit. Then it was the fast guys, me 3-4 laps back, and another a lap or two behind me. He was capable of faster individual laps. But not as consistent.
My mistake first month or two was focusing on the straight way speed, not braking and acceleration. Once figure that itís beeen a slow bit of improvement each week.

Itís just my opinion but I think too many get caught up in setups at first. Canít complete a race but what to know ď whatís the hot setupĒ. Looking for the ďproĒ setup. Fortunately we have lots of open practice time between races. First year might get 100 racing laps over the day. But Iíd get 200+ in practice.

Sorry for gettingvof thread topic. Maybe we need a new thread for these kinds of discussions. A ď what right and wrong with racingĒ. Or something along those lines.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fermanracer View Post

vta
sure ... take a picture when im NOT there
Old 07-11-2018, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

pic challenge....if you run VTA this weekend...post up a group pic and club/track....
theproffesor and angrymelon like this.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone have the new Protoform 1969 Z-28 shell? If so, could you please post a bunch of pictures of it? I'd really like one of the top of the car. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2018, 06:47 AM
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by St. George View Post
Does anyone have the new Protoform 1969 Z-28 shell? If so, could you please post a bunch of pictures of it? I'd really like one of the top of the car. Thanks!
If I'm not mistaken, there appears to be two in the photo above. The blue one definitely but not sure about the white one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service