Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

been told HPI tires gave more grip than PL on asphalt, at track i race at PL tires are the VTA spec only tire now, so far pre-softening works best prior to race day, which consists of putting tires in bags, spraying WD, PB or LW and sealing bag along with placing them in the sun. so far using foam, TC, and buggy traction compounds seem to have little or no effect, saucing the tires prior to a race, even wiped clean for us has proven to be a big mistake. first 4-5 laps are near slip and drift mode.

if you don't do a 1 year phase out, people will go to every corner of the earth to find and hoard them and racers will still have them 6 years from now.
NutDriver and funked1 like this.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

smh
ASM likes this.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well, at this point no one can deny that the Protoform VTA tires are different than the HPI VTA tires. If we are running on a surface other than high bite black carpet, we will need to come up with new break-in procedures to get optimal performance. We have already seen plenty of people posting positive suggestions/tips on how to get more grip on asphalt or older gray carpet. Keep up with all the suggestions. This helps keep the VTA racing community strong.

However we shouldn't forget that there was a bit of a learning curve with the HPI VTA tires as well. You couldn't just glue up a set of HPI VTA tires and expect to get great performance unless you were running on very high bite gray carpet. It also doesn't take too much effort/internet search to find people complaining about wearing out HPI fronts on asphalt due to lack of front grip (sliding the front end).

It might be a bit early to talk about phasing out the old tires just because people haven't figured out the new tires on all surfaces. Let's give everyone a chance to work out what tire prep works best on specific racing surfaces. We might discover that with the right prep, the Protoform VTA tires work better AND last longer on all racing surfaces.
ASM, theproffesor and mariob62 like this.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

I just got my TC4 RTR, and Ive noticed that the 5 spoke rims, black or chrome, are not in stock just about anywhere. As it seems most stuff for wheels etc from HPI... Also waiting on bodies.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

If your dead set on HPI wheels and/or body, you are in for a long and expensive wait. I would suggest going with the PF tires and PF 8 spoke wheels for now. I am and PF will make a few more wheel sets soon. They have a lot going on and I am just glad somebody picked up where HPI left off. Bodies are pretty much the same. PF makes 4 really good choices as does McAlister. Pick your poison and have fun!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Your best bet for HPI Vintage wheels/tires will be places like eBay or Amazon. Just do a search for HPI VINTAGE on either site and you should find some options. Here is an example of a search I just did...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=hpi+vintage
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ntage&_sacat=0

----------

As far as new product, Protoform Racing now makes wheels/tires/premounts that are legal to race in USVTA. They also have bodies.

McAllister Racing also have a selection of bodies.

Here are the links...

Vintage Trans Am: PROTOform | RC Bodies & Accessories
McAllisterPage Title

You can buy direct from both manufacturers if you prefer.
mariob62 likes this.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 10-23-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Well, at this point no one can deny that the Protoform VTA tires are different than the HPI VTA tires. If we are running on a surface other than high bite black carpet, we will need to come up with new break-in procedures to get optimal performance. We have already seen plenty of people posting positive suggestions/tips on how to get more grip on asphalt or older gray carpet. Keep up with all the suggestions. This helps keep the VTA racing community strong.

However we shouldn't forget that there was a bit of a learning curve with the HPI VTA tires as well. You couldn't just glue up a set of HPI VTA tires and expect to get great performance unless you were running on very high bite gray carpet. It also doesn't take too much effort/internet search to find people complaining about wearing out HPI fronts on asphalt due to lack of front grip (sliding the front end).

It might be a bit early to talk about phasing out the old tires just because people haven't figured out the new tires on all surfaces. Let's give everyone a chance to work out what tire prep works best on specific racing surfaces. We might discover that with the right prep, the Protoform VTA tires work better AND last longer on all racing surfaces.
I never had a problem with front wear with HPI Tires on asphalt .
When the fronts finally had the ridge of death , the rears would be just about gone too.
Im one of those Old guys who hate spools and never put more then 30k oil in the diff.maybe that is why.
If we have to use all these chemicals to soften the PF tires to where they are usable, they may wear quicker then the HPIs. The PF tire really became available after asphalt season so we will see what happens in the spring. Ill just wait and see
Old 10-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
smh
yeah. I know.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Has anyone listed set-up changes you've tried to get the tires to work on non-black carpet surfaces? Even using tire warmers with tire-tweak or something else before your heat?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:27 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Well, we're all now basically in the same boat more or less and has been said, the idea will be to share what we learn. I have a couple of ideas to try for traction compounds, one that used to clean tires with dating back to about 2002 or so. We used it on HPI v-groove tires. The other....I'll let you know....lol.

Also, I can tell you this, on tradionally low or medium grip asphalt tracks, SXT, Tweak, Paragon and the like have never proven to provide more grip than just a good simple cleaning, or using Buggy Grip. Saucing was always slower, especially in the first 1/3 of the race. Using this line of thinking, I don't traditional sauces are going to work except on black carpet. Just my opinion....
Old 10-23-2017, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Maybe Ill try some Hoppes or Shooters Choice on them
funked1 likes this.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:12 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

is the tc4 club racer a good start for this class?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

RobK had said that he'd used the Red V2 version of Mighty Gripper. Exotek Racing carries the V3 version. Has anyone tried it yet?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

So these are my two sets of PF tires.

Both sets were heat cycled, and coated in SXT several times before being ran.

The carpet tires have a full practice day and a half, 3 quals and a main at Apex at the Southen Nats. By third qual were soft enough to lift inside tires if not driven smoothly.

Asphalt has 8-10 10 minute practice runs as well as 3 quals and a main at DC hobbies in Georgia. They are pretty soft after the saucing routine I used. Softer than the carpet PF tires, and almost as soft as the HPI’s I have left (saving those for mains as they only have a couple runs left on them). The tread is as soft the HPI’s but the side wall is still a bit stiffer.

But as you can see, even with all that track time on them, they are showing very little wear. And that’s a plus in my book. Just have to do a bit more ground work. Definitely won’t be buying a pack at the track and running them that day on asphalt.

Edit: I will note that the inside of the asphalt tires are showing some sine of wear, but not much. But the outsides are showing none. I was running -2 camber all 4 corners. If the outside is not wearing, that means it is not contacting the racing surface. No contact = no grip. For my next few runs, I’m am going against the grain and going to try less amounts of negative camber more like a carpet set up. Theory: more contact=more grip also more even wear means a longer lasting tire. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-bcdf0e3c-1244-4eac-86ae-d9ffe25a941b.jpg  
mariob62 likes this.

Last edited by theproffesor; 10-24-2017 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Additional notes
Old 10-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I sprayed my PF tires with cnc belt conditioner and bagged them for a few days. After a couple practice days, they have hooked up very well. I continue spraying and bagging between race days. Our carpet is medium grip, non-crc grey, and we've never reached traction roll. The sidewalls are still a bit stiffer, but I think they are fine overall.
Josh-n-ya and NutDriver like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.