Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I like the single motor rule for any class that is "spec".
...says everyone until THEIR favorite brand isn't selected as the spec motor

Spec motors have been a part of RC since forever. No one moaned and groaned "in the day" when your entry fee bought you a spec motor...you just took it back to your pit and did whatever your prep to it was that month. Now folks bellyache about spec anything like you'd stolen their girlfriend, scratched their truck and kicked their dog.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...says everyone until THEIR favorite brand isn't selected as the spec motor
We had that problem in my oval series a few years ago when we introduced Brushless to Oval - and locked in w/ NOVAK. Then All of a Sudden guys wanted MOTOR SPONSORS -

Now - there's no more Oval Series, and no more Oval racing in So Cal - (Careful what you ask for...and more careful once you GET IT)
Old 10-17-2015, 06:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
I have not. I asked a month or so ago if we'd be getting more number plates and was told we would. Haven't heard anything since.
Some numbers went out earlier this week, more going out today and we have ordered more numbers for those who have signed up recently. Sorry about the delays.

Rob
Old 10-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scottrik
.Spec motors have been a part of RC since forever. No one moaned and groaned "in the day" when your entry fee bought you a spec motor...you just took it back to your pit and did whatever your prep to it was that month. Now folks bellyache about spec anything like you'd stolen their girlfriend, scratched their truck and kicked their dog.
Yes, we did moan and groan. Tons.

Handout spec motors tended to be for a specific event and always seemed to be the crappiest motors that were available so we tuned them to within a hair's breadth of their life and then burned them up that weekend. If there was anything left of the motor at the end of the weekend, we hadn't run it properly.

Nothing has changed in that arena.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes, we did moan and groan. Tons.

Handout spec motors tended to be for a specific event and always seemed to be the crappiest motors that were available so we tuned them to within a hair's breadth of their life and then burned them up that weekend. If there was anything left of the motor at the end of the weekend, we hadn't run it properly.

Nothing has changed in that arena.
NOT only did Racers complain, so did event organizers who had to BUY those motors, many of whom got stuck with from a handful, to several boxes of Extra motors trying to anticipate how many motors were actually needed for an event.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I don't post in the VTA thread much as the class is really stable and there is a minimum of squabbling. I point people to the USVTA web site for rules, not ROAR. Having one motor for this class/series is just fine. I've never had a problem with a Novak as long as I run it to their settings window. Sure, some are dogs out of the box. Send it back if it's wrong, it is your money.

That being said, I believe that ROAR is trying to set up a 25.5 motor spec. Not to kill this class or control it. As the other thread about changing carpet racing in the US has truly beaten the topic to death, it doesn't need to be covered here. 25.5 is about to become the base TC motor and needed a standard to be built to. Period. As VTA stands apart from TC racing, and should, it is only fair to let them use our motor.

I've got my VTA cars ready, just need some practice.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Here's my opinion. Think of it what you'd like. This is the USVTA thread, not the ROAR VTA. As long as the USVTA says Novak, I don't care what other companies do. ��
Old 10-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sometimes it works...if you willing to make it...

DARKSIDE Promotions and Team Associated presents the

2015 U.S.VTA Southern Nationals in Music City U.S.A.

Classes:
Novak and HPI presents Pro Invitational Class
a. must have TQ'd or finished in the top 5 of one of the following events running U.S.VTA rules: Scale Nats(Chicago) Southern Nats(Nashville) Summit Nats(Ft Wayne) Halloween Classic(Cleveland) Snowbirds Nats(Orlando) or the U.S.VTA National Points Series
b. sponsored or unsponsored
c. Pre glued HPI VTA wheels and tires as handout
d. handout Novak VTA Boss 25.5, built by Charlie and/or Bob Novak. Built to be as equal as possible. One motor per racer
c. battery will be tech for capacity with the ICharger. Rule is 5000 mah. Must use the same battery, limit 2.
e. simple points system 1-10, lowest amount of points wins. tie breakers will be times and laps
f. limited to 10 racers
g. random sort and starts using all 3 types: rolling, lemans, inverted
h. 6 rounds at 10 min each
Old 10-20-2015, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

And the Pro Invitational races at the Southern Nats was some of the closest racing you will ever see. Myron, is there video out there of this run group?
Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Here's my opinion. Think of it what you'd like. This is the USVTA thread, not the ROAR VTA. As long as the USVTA says Novak, I don't care what other companies do. ��
Amen.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Weight?

It took 130 grams of lead and shoe goo, my my VTA is at legal weight now.

Ready for some racing.

Last edited by Fastforward; 10-24-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Add weight in the center of the chassis as much as you can, and then add on the edges of the chassis to balance left and right. Remember to do this and check frequently with the body and tires on. A 50/50 left right balance is more critical than the front rear balance. After its balance left and right, if you need to add more weight, add it so the car is around a 50/50 to 60/40 split rear to front.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by howardcano
There is always the possibility that ROAR has announced rules for 25.5 motors without their main concern being VTA. It could be laying the foundation for use in other classes.

I also think that USVTA should stay Novak-only. Yes, there are less expensive motors out there. But after using the same motor for nearly five years, and still being competitive, the cost is a non-issue for me.
Now that USVTA has dropped the 45 degree rule, I don't have any big objection to keeping the NOVAK motor as THE motor for USVTA. Now anyone can run their motor at 50+ degrees of timing; not just the fortunate few who happened to get a motor with a misplaced timing label.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default FDR

What's a good starting FDR for a 40X90ft. carpet track?
Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i love how this class uses 25.5 because it teaches you how to choose your line and how to carry speed through corners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.