Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3731Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 05-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Originally Posted by jdob View Post
This is what we need times a bazillion! I don't care if they only make one wheel style/color available in pre-mounted form - that's what I would race! Everybody and their brother needs to e-mail HPI and ask for some pre-mount VTA wheels/tires!
Frankly, this is a good opportunity for racers to make a few bucks if they are good at gluing tires. They would need a few bucks for start up capital first.
I was thinking about doing this 2 years ago. Only problem is I can't find cheap labor that are smart enough to learn how to glue the tires to the wheels without gluing their fingers to the tires and leaving finger prints all over the sidewalls of the tires.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ASM View Post
Myron - we certainly hope you'll have time to fit the USVTA Asphalts Nats down here in FL into your schedule!!
i wish...I will be in Orlando at the end of the month....doubt I can do it twice but, you never know...
Old 05-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Quiet in here lately.

Spotted in a random eBay description for a Novak 25.5, under the things that make you go hmm category...

"works great comes with another rotor that is a torque cheater rotor (don't run it. its not legal) and a cobalt rotor ( legal status unknown ) i ran it. they didn't ask so I didn't tell"
Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Vta question. I have been running my tamiya trf417 in 17.5 stock touring. Gearing was 86t 64pitch spur with 49t pinion. My question is, what should i go down to with this spur for a speed passion 25.5? Just picked up the motor, tires and wheels and camaro body to run vta with this car. Any help would be awesome guys. May run tomorrow night if i can get it figured out.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat View Post
Quiet in here lately.

Spotted in a random eBay description for a Novak 25.5, under the things that make you go hmm category...

"works great comes with another rotor that is a torque cheater rotor (don't run it. its not legal) and a cobalt rotor ( legal status unknown ) i ran it. they didn't ask so I didn't tell"
I wonder how many used VTA motors are bought and sold w/ cheater rotors.

The only big race that I have been to, that had motor tear-downs, was the Indoor Champs in Cleveland. They measured rotors and stator resistance.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

come to the Southern Nationals, we will tear it down for you..lol....
Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

NA.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Ok so, I bought my motor straight from Novak, so I am going to assume it has the correct rotor in it. And I know the rules state no modification of the motor that requires disassembly, but (trying to as slowly as possible open this can of worms so it doesn't explode...) could there be a clarification on what is the " legal" rotor? I would like to 12.3 that comes with the ballistic. However, if the rules state OEM, then some could interpret that to mean Novak rotors and it could open the door for arugumemts to allow the 12.5. - 14mm rotors. I think a specific size should be listed. Also please don't just say the stock one that came with it. This would disallow those that want to replace a worn rotor, unknowingly bought a used "cheater" motor, or would be difficult to tech.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

"12.3 mm rotor diameter only (no "tuning" rotors are allowed, only stock Novak rotors allowed)"

So the larger rotors are a no, and the tuner 12.3's are a no... isn't the stock 5941 rotor the only legal option left by default? I never thought this was fuzzy or a gray area in any way (if you run USVTA rules.)
Old 05-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

finely got my vta car finished and will try to race it tomorrow, haven't raced anything for around 15 years so it may be bad, if you see anything on the car in the picture that should be changed let me know, had to add weight but did not know where to place it , so i spread it around
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-xxx-s-vta-3-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-xxx-s-vta-7-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-xxx-s-vta-6-.jpg  
Old 05-14-2015, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

That a very nice Losi XXXS, quickta.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat View Post
"12.3 mm rotor diameter only (no "tuning" rotors are allowed, only stock Novak rotors allowed)"

So the larger rotors are a no, and the tuner 12.3's are a no... isn't the stock 5941 rotor the only legal option left by default? I never thought this was fuzzy or a gray area in any way (if you run USVTA rules.)
Thanks, I thought the rules specified the diameter of the rotor, but of the three spec rotor Novak offered on their website as of the last time I visited only the stock and legal replacement rotor was not referred to as a tuning rotor.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 05-15-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
That a very nice Losi XXXS, quickta.
thanks
Old 05-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by quickta View Post
finely got my vta car finished and will try to race it tomorrow, haven't raced anything for around 15 years so it may be bad, if you see anything on the car in the picture that should be changed let me know, had to add weight but did not know where to place it , so i spread it around
Looks nice, but be prepared for the car to be very loose unless you have broken in the tires a LOT! If you happen to have an old tire truer from your past racing, put each tire on the truer. Then hold an old cloth towel against the spinning tire. I do this until the tire starts to smoke. Stop the truer and slather the tire with traction compound. Let cool. I repeat this two more times for each tire (this is basically Paul Lemieux's method except he puts the traction compound on before he heats the tire - I found that too messy). Wash the tires with Simple Green and let dry and they are usually ready to race. If not, I wash the tire again with Simple Green again and slather with traction compound and let sit in a plastic bag overnight.

Have fun.

BTW Where do you race VTA in VA?
Old 05-15-2015, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

How is your battery strap attached to the chassis on the xxxs? If it wraps underneath, you may need to consider another method to attach it. It will drag the track (especially on carpet) and cause issues. Other than that, the xxxs is a very capable USVTA car. It looks good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.