Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Also, since this is your first set of HPI vintage wheels..., if you get the chrome or the matte chrome, most guys remove the chrome from the part of the wheel that will be glued to the tire.

Otherwise, after you glue them and run them, the chrome will lift off of the plastic along with your tire. Thus the reason I only get black and white wheels anymore.

The guys that get the chrome and spend the time gluing them properly, end up with a better looking car...
Old 10-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
Also, since this is your first set of HPI vintage wheels..., if you get the chrome or the matte chrome, most guys remove the chrome from the part of the wheel that will be glued to the tire.

Otherwise, after you glue them and run them, the chrome will lift off of the plastic along with your tire. Thus the reason I only get black and white wheels anymore.

The guys that get the chrome and spend the time gluing them properly, end up with a better looking car...
+1
Old 10-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by .crispy

That was also my intention when glueing the tires, cause i like those mat chrome wheels (3815&3820) a lot.
I'm thinking about painting the 5-spokes in black, that should give the wheels/car a better and more realistic look.
I also prefer the HPI 1968 chevrolet camaro body set, the looks of this body is all about being a muscle car.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I hope y'all don't mind me posting this, but am upcoming medical procedure is kind of forcing the sale of my Xray T4 VTA car. Hopefully soon I'll be in the market to replace it, but for now it has to go (maybe my USGT, too).

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-vta-artr.html
Old 10-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by addicted2blue
That was also my intention when glueing the tires, cause i like those mat chrome wheels (3815&3820) a lot.
I'm thinking about painting the 5-spokes in black, that should give the wheels/car a better and more realistic look.
I also prefer the HPI 1968 chevrolet camaro body set, the looks of this body is all about being a muscle car.
Before you paint, HPI does sell 5-spokes in black (not sure about availability). Check out this link on their website for vintage wheels (http://www.hpiracing.com/en/product_...ct_group_10TWV)

Also be aware that there are different HPI vintage tires - racing tread, performance tread, racing slicks, & drift slicks. Here in the US we race VTA using the Vintage Racing tread tires. Here is a link on HPI (http://www.hpiracing.com/en/product_...ct_group_10TTV)

Last thing, check out the rules for the USVTA here (http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html). Maybe you can convince some people in the area of your country to start the class there. If you are going to be playing on a large outdoor track, you could also start an "Outlaw" VTA class using ROAR 21.5 motors.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 10-05-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Before you paint, HPI does sell 5-spokes in black (not sure about availability). Check out this link on their website for vintage wheels (http://www.hpiracing.com/en/product_...ct_group_10TWV)

Also be aware that there are different HPI vintage tires - racing tread, performance tread, racing slicks, & drift slicks. Here in the US we race VTA using the Vintage Racing tread tires. Here is a link on HPI (http://www.hpiracing.com/en/product_...ct_group_10TTV)

Last thing, check out the rules for the USVTA here (http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html). Maybe you can convince some people in the area of your country to start the class there. If you are going to be playing on a large outdoor track, you could also start an "Outlaw" VTA class using ROAR 21.5 motors.
It's just for fun, as i sometimes do like to drive a slower car.
Will run the car with a 21.5T and for tires i will order 4793&4797. (i think they are the most commen tires used for VTA races)
Over here there isn't enough intrest to start a new class with a 21.5T motor&blinky ESC, but you'll never know.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tommy R
I hope y'all don't mind me posting this, but am upcoming medical procedure is kind of forcing the sale of my Xray T4 VTA car. Hopefully soon I'll be in the market to replace it, but for now it has to go (maybe my USGT, too).

"Very competitive" - what an understatement! Tommy demolished the VTA field, including me, in the latest Texas EOS race in San Antonio. He was 2 seconds a lap faster (big track) than the next fastest car. His motor tested exactly 45 degrees timing on my motorlyser.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks, John! You're way too kind.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

What spur/pinion do you run with the xray?
Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
Guys have to quit looking at motors as being "NOVAK" motors, and instead get it in your head that it's the
USVTA "Spec" Motor by NOVAK.

Kindly THANK Novak for making a motor that Nobody else would when it was wanted, and their reward is "Exclusivity"
I completely agree! I love my trinity motors but when it comes to USVTA I am all about NOVAK. The USVTA rules were put in place to keep the class honest and close. I Know for a fact many people do not like NOVAK however I think its pretty awesome Bob Novak and his team stepped up to the plate to provide spec equipment for such an awesome class. Seriously, they even put VTA on the can! How can you not love that dedication? I have said it at least 100 times this year, "if it wasn't for USVTA, I would not have come back to racing on-road again." I have begun racing USGT and 17.5 TC as well but still prefer my VTA ride. The other classes show one extreme truth though.........NOT ALL MOTORS AND SPEEDOS ARE CREATED EQUAL! I know tuning is a major factor in all R/C racing but USVTA keeps everyone true to SPEC Racing

Sorry about this old quote just throwing my 2 cents in and USVTA maybe slower but by no means is it a NOOB class! Its an awesome class that's keeping on-road racing alive!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Race19s
What spur/pinion do you run with the xray?
96t spur and whatever pinion gets me to a 3.6-4.0 ratio (depending on the layout).
Old 10-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

96t spur and whatever pinion gets me to a 3.6-4.0 ratio (depending on the layout).
I have 92T spurs, 45 will get me 3.88. Is there a reason to run higher T spurs and lower Pinions?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Loco4G63T
I completely agree! I love my trinity motors but when it comes to USVTA I am all about NOVAK. The USVTA rules were put in place to keep the class honest and close. I Know for a fact many people do not like NOVAK however I think its pretty awesome Bob Novak and his team stepped up to the plate to provide spec equipment for such an awesome class. Seriously, they even put VTA on the can! How can you not love that dedication? I have said it at least 100 times this year, "if it wasn't for USVTA, I would not have come back to racing on-road again." I have begun racing USGT and 17.5 TC as well but still prefer my VTA ride. The other classes show one extreme truth though.........NOT ALL MOTORS AND SPEEDOS ARE CREATED EQUAL! I know tuning is a major factor in all R/C racing but USVTA keeps everyone true to SPEC Racing

Sorry about this old quote just throwing my 2 cents in and USVTA maybe slower but by no means is it a NOOB class! Its an awesome class that's keeping on-road racing alive!
Sorry but after reading this post I didn't know whether to stand up and salute the Novak flag or just go into the corner and throw up!!! True Novak stepped up to the plate with the 25.5 motor (ATTA BOY BOB)! BTW how many years ago was that? Oh but I raced VTA before USVTA decided to go with a 25.5 motor that didn't exist instead of continuing to use the 21.5 motors that were already available. Nothing wrong with those 21.5 motors, it was the advent of the boosted ESCs that caused the early VTA class to get too fast. So from my perspective the 25.5 motor fixed a problem that USVTA created. But as far as spec racing goes the Novak 25.5 VTA motors provide far from a level playing field as intended. For example 1) they are almost impossible to tech for legality without a complete tear down (verified that with the NOVAK people). For our EOS races that allow any 25.5 motor I use a tuning rotor and there is no way to tell it unless you tear the motor down for inspection. (BTW I have that motor marked so I don't use it in a USVTA event). 2) the placement of the timing labels are subject to tampering with (or if that is too hard just swap out end bell assemblies with one that has the timing sticker in a better location for your motor (see Mr 75MHz post earlier this Spring). 3 even if you don't intend to cheat, the timing labels are placed inaccurately - I've seen Novak Ballistic motors with 45 degrees on the label that test as high as 58 degrees timing on my Motorlyser, others had less than 45 degrees, and a few were spot on. Maybe you think that is a level playing field for spec racers? I don't, perhaps because I can see on the dyno how much a few degrees of timing affects the performance of these VTA motors.

As far as the motor/ESC wars you allege, we regularly have at least 10 USGT cars each weekend. I did a survey of the motors being used and found there have been at least 6 different OEM motors in a field of 10. All cars were running within 1 sec a lap on a big outdoor track at one of the biggest race series here in Texas (EOS). So to me there doesn't seem to be a "you have to have this motor to win". With correct timing and gearing, just about any 21.5 motor can win (even the $50 TrackStar is consistently at the top each week - holding its own against some big buck hand built motors). However, you had better be a very good driver and know how to set up your car (but aren't those the very skills we want to develop with spec racing)?

I admit I didn't check ESCs. However, in blinky mode with ROAR approved non timing software I don't see a big performance issue there and apparently neither does USVTA since they have opened up the ESC rule for USVTA (there are certainly advantages to using my Tekin Gen 2 ESCs instead of my HobbyWing Just Stock ESC, but improved on track performance isn't one of them).

So I don't buy either of your premises: As much as the USVTA zealots want to keep sticking their heads in the sand and pretending there aren't problems, Novak motors are not providing a good spec racing environment for the reasons I mention above; nor are the motor wars you prophesize occurring at least in USGT. I'm sure some fool(s) will go out and buy a $150+ hand built certified motor thinking it will make them more competitive - the real secret they don't want to hear (or admit) is they need to drive better with the motor they have. That and Paragon Black have been the same for the nearly 33 years I've been racing RC cars.

I know I'm going to be labeled as a Novak hater after this post, I'm not! While IMO the motor has serious warts from a spec racing perspective (i.e., level the playing field), it's actually a pretty good motor when it works correctly. If USVTA dropped the 45 degree timing rule, the Novak Ballistic motor would only have one serious problem that being the tech tear down to ensure its legal. The 45 degree rule penalizes those who have motors with less than 45 degrees timing and rewards those that have more than 45 degrees when the timing label says 45 degrees.

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-07-2014, 03:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

That 2 cents seems to be worth more than others. Damn inflation.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I will say this though, if your going to salute the Novak Flag, I will salute with you. If your going to vomit, I guess I'll be the one to hold your hair back 8 ) LOL.

Anything man made will not be perfect. Great response and I'm not one to judge I just appreciate the class for what it simply is. 8 ) Everything you said makes perfect sense I just don't see the need to chase perfection. The cost controlled part of the VTA racing is a big plus when its kept simple. I buy all my cars used for this reason. 8 ) I'm just a guy that enjoys racing and only looking for some clean laps with my buddies. ROAR VTA allows all those choices which is great for the guys that have their own requirements. It's all gravy IMHO. Just letting you guys know I'm a Trinity Motor FAN BOY for the record and Love me some Tekin speedos 8 )

Really awesome response though and appreciate your dedication to on-road. Guys like you help guys like me to be more knowledgeable of the hobby we all love so much. Thanks "D".

Last edited by Loco4G63T; 10-07-2014 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Gramatical error

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.