Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I find it interesting how much emotion is displayed over the possibility of the Tekin RS-Spec making the list. There seems to be a lot of anti and pro Tekin sentiment. For me it's a matter of patience and trust. I trust Robk because he has been diligent at the helm and has made careful moves to bring the class to what I think is the best it has ever been. So I trust him to pass the Tekin RS-Spec if it is worthy, and deny it if it's not. I also trust Tekin. Even after that Vegas blinky fiasco. I guess it's because Jim has been in here himself and knows why the RS and Pro were not put on the list. I trust that he was more careful in the creation of the RS-Spec and that there is no Jeanie in the bottle.

I can afford to trust Tekin. Robk can not. So we wait, even if we are antsy for an answer.
The Tekin RS-Spec isnt even listed on the ROAR list of approved ESCs just the Gen 2 is listed with 238. So ROAR doesnt even have it listed as being approved yet....just sayin

Burn us once shame on you.....burn us twice....not with out a proper checking of all options.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
What is wrong with me that I think this is backwards from how it should be? I think VTA should be the big class and TC should be the side dish.
me too...lol... but im happy to have it all the same
Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kevin K
The Tekin RS-Spec isnt even listed on the ROAR list of approved ESCs just the Gen 2 is listed with 238. So ROAR doesnt even have it listed as being approved yet....just sayin

Burn us once shame on you.....burn us twice....not with out a proper checking of all options.
You would think that Tekin would be squeaky clean after Vegas. I understand that you can't give them the benefit of the doubt. It's a much tougher situation to have to ban it after the Tekin fans have already made their purchases. Should it eventually prove to be incompatible with the class. I'm still holding on for it to make the list. Hope that's not naive.

Curious that ROAR has not approved it yet.

Hot Shots has been running ROAR VTA. I wonder how that has been going. I know that there is at least one RS-SPEC in the mix.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 01-29-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

The data logging feature on the Tekin is pretty cool. I have already used it to determine I my charger was only charging my batts to about 8.1 volts. After I got a new charger and got a full 8.4v my batts didnt drop off 3/4 of the way into a race.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
USGT is a different animal. It allows for the use of any ROAR 21.5 and ROAR ESC combination that the racer should choose or have and experiment with which combination they like or think is fastest for them.

USVTA evens the field, either perceived or actual by limiting it to one motor mfg and a specific list of esc's. For those that were around during the "open" blinky esc's days, it was a nightmare at large races.
Actually you are wrong about the ESC in USGT! If you check the USVTA rule book, it clearly states that the ESC for the USVTA sanctioned USGT class must be either one with ROAR approved Spec Software (i.e., blinky) or one of the approved ESCs (from the Trans AM list). So I don't buy the perceived cheating concern of having a blinky ESC on the list if there is no performance advantage- it just too easy to catch if someone goes non spec either before or after a heat (but its most obvious on the track).

Fortuanately the clubs I race at around here don't mind if I use my Tekin RS Pro in blinky in Trans AM at their club races, they just blow by me anyway! But I cannot use it for any USVTA sanctioned Trans AM events and that I understand. I'll just run USGT.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
Actually you are wrong about the ESC in USGT! If you check the USVTA rule book, it clearly states that the ESC for the USVTA sanctioned USGT class must be either one with ROAR approved Spec Software (i.e., blinky) or one of the approved ESCs (from the Trans AM list). So I don't buy the perceived cheating concern of having a blinky ESC on the list if there is no performance advantage- it just too easy to catch if someone goes non spec either before or after a heat (but its most obvious on the track).

Fortuanately the clubs I race at around here don't mind if I use my Tekin RS Pro in blinky in Trans AM at their club races, they just blow by me anyway! But I cannot use it for any USVTA sanctioned Trans AM events and that I understand. I'll just run USGT.
The reason both roar approved and the trans am list appears in the usgt rules is that not all trans am speed controls are listed anymore being discontinued or whatever.

If you don't think there is any concern about problem software in usgt you are wrong. I have no illusions. However its a class designed to be between standard sedan classes and vta. We also allow any roar motor in usgt. There is only one motor maker in vta. Vta is more buttoned down less choices and a simpler program. Usgt is meant to appeal more to the racer who was doing sedan already and is looking to go faster than vta.

This format is working. It will not be changing. I hope you see that it is not meant to exclude anyone or antagonize anyone.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Kudos to RobK, Kevin, and all of the deciders for VTA and USGT. Thank you for your diligence in assuring the most level playing field that you can.

Scott
Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

+1
Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

+2

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Kudos to RobK, Kevin, and all of the deciders for VTA and USGT.

Scott
Thats the Jedi council. I wonder who all is really on that. Is Myron on there? Or is he just an advisor to the board?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

+3
Absolutely! Myron is the man who introduced me to VTA.He has a lot of weight in what goes and what don't in USVTA, not sure if he is a fellow Jedi tho.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

did you just call fat
Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
did you just call fat
No Way!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

He looks a little pale in that pic, might outta run some outdoor races to get his complection back

I actually met him online when I was still a dirt dobber. The way he talked about USVTA made me buy a TC4 / Novak Edge / 25.5 setup and drive over 2 hours north to Thunder R/C. Been hooked every since
Old 01-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robk
The reason both roar approved and the trans am list appears in the usgt rules is that not all trans am speed controls are listed anymore being discontinued or whatever.

If you don't think there is any concern about problem software in usgt you are wrong. I have no illusions. However its a class designed to be between standard sedan classes and vta. We also allow any roar motor in usgt. There is only one motor maker in vta. Vta is more buttoned down less choices and a simpler program. Usgt is meant to appeal more to the racer who was doing sedan already and is looking to go faster than vta.

This format is working. It will not be changing. I hope you see that it is not meant to exclude anyone or antagonize anyone.
Thanks for the explanation. I hoped if I kept pushing, someone would finally post something that made sense. I suppose some smart person could write their own software that added timing and make it still blinky. All I can do is show them the blinky lights and hook up my ESC to my computer and verify the software version I'm using is what ROAR specifies. Again all this discussion is about club racing, not the nationals. There are other ways to cheat, even with the "listed" ESCs, if that is what you want to do, that at the club level would be very difficult if not impossible to tech. Keep up the good work. Always loved Trans AM but it (and just about everything else on road) got too fast with the boosted ESCs (that's why I have a Tekin). With the 25.5 and non boosted ESCs but no FDR limit, which was a PITA to Tech, Trans AM now is about the same speed as it was when it first started - just about right.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

I wonder how many of our guys are in Orlando.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.