Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I tend to run VTA (when I get to run it) the way any Broke / Low Buck 2nd or 3rd tier team would run -

Using other teams take off equipment w/ an old outdated car.

All of the tires I've ever run on my VTA car were ones that guys w/ a bigger budget discarded...but I still saw life in them. (The one and only set of NEW tires - I've been sitting on for like 4 years have never been glued...I'm saving those for the RIGHT race...)

I wish I had the budget to have a NEW Modern Car/Chassis - The Latest Greatest NOVAK motor, and about 10-12 sets of Really Good tires to choose from. (and a semi-truck and trailer to take ALL my stuff to the track - with a full pit area in the trailer, with a living quarters...so I could just travel from race to race all year long)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

And even with that, Joe, it wouldn't be any major advantage, maybe not ANY advantage. I was competitive with my 14 year old XXX-S, until some puke stole my stash of vintage parts along with my Venom bag a couple years ago. I raced it like 30+ weekends, and my total expenditure was a set of caster blocks, three sets of tires, one body, and one Novak ballistic 25.5/Edge combo (I had the chassis, radio, and battery lying around, and I only use one battery). I am building a new VTA car because I want to have a Tamiya, but I don't expect it to be any faster.

I think new tires on asphalt are worse until you get them scrubbed in real good. On carpet, it's the opposite - once the tire gets scrubbed in, the car traction rolls.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
That's what I do! Team Rodarbal (my son and I) are running VTA with a couple five year old Schumachers. If we weren't running these we probably would be running Associated TC3s. Basically, I'll run whatever I have the most spare parts for. LOL. Never had the latest greatest, but I do buy new tires and mount them on recycled wheels.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the rule has become a bit self governing and there is no sense getting upset about it. On asphalt it makes little difference and on carpet they become a traction roll machine when they get bald. It is a bit pointless to invest in the man power to enforce that rule when it handles its self. It doesn't mean the rule is bad. We dont want folks doing wierd things to the tires for that extra edge. I dont even balance mine. Wobble baby!

Originally Posted by SWTour
I tend to run VTA (when I get to run it) the way any Broke / Low Buck 2nd or 3rd tier team would run -

All of the tires I've ever run on my VTA car were ones that guys w/ a bigger budget discarded...but I still saw life in them. (The one and only set of NEW tires - I've been sitting on for like 4 years have never been glued...I'm saving those for the RIGHT race...)

I wish I had the budget to have a NEW Modern Car/Chassis - The Latest Greatest NOVAK motor, and about 10-12 sets of Really Good tires to choose from. (and a semi-truck and trailer to take ALL my stuff to the track - with a full pit area in the trailer, with a living quarters...so I could just travel from race to race all year long)
You probably should at least experience a new pair of tires. If you are always used to racing on hand me down tires, it might mess up your game to be on a new set for an important race. You would want every thing to be what you are used to.
As far as the tracktor rig with all the new gear in it. Yeah we all have our lotto winner dreams. Thats what I would do with mine too. Plus build an awesome track. Asphalt + grass infields. Like the one at the Eastbourne Electric Car Club.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 01-07-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
That's what I do! Team Rodarbal (my son and I) are running VTA with a couple five year old Schumachers. If we weren't running these we probably would be running Associated TC3s. Basically, I'll run whatever I have the most spare parts for. LOL. Never had the latest greatest, but I do buy new tires and mount them on recycled wheels.

Thats how I run, and the beauty of, USVTA. Not the latest and greatest, but a new set of tires every now and then. I have become good at recycling the wheels using acetone.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The tire rule very much makes sense.
1. Everyone has the same tires.
2. It is useless to grind the tread on carpet due to traction rolling, and on asphalt all you are doing is reducing their lifespan.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
The tire rule very much makes sense.
1. Everyone has the same tires.
2. It is useless to grind the tread on carpet due to traction rolling, and on asphalt all you are doing is reducing their lifespan.
Yeah. Thats how you say it.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Legal USVTA Tires:
Fronts - 26mm D compound - HPI #4793
Rears - 31mm D compound - HPI #4797

For anyone browsing the thread and seeing all the discussion on the HPI Vintage D compound USVTA legal tires, here are a few take away points.

- New out of the package tires may need to be scuffed in if running on low grip surfaces
- New tires or old tires do not offer any significant advantage on carpet
- Worn-out and/or ballooned tires can be a factor in traction rolling on carpet surfaces
- Full tread or worn out tread can be compensated for by setup changes.
- The initial cost of the wheels/tires is offset by how long a set of tires last for the average racer (asphalt will wear front tread faster)
- It is up to the the track director/tech person/ race promoter to enforce tread rules

Some other useful info
- VTA wheels can be colored using fabric dyes that work with nylon
- VTA wheels can be painted (results may vary)
- VTA wheels are very durable and can be re-used (there are various methods to remove tires)

----------

I race on a limited budget and I get at least 16 weeks (4 months) of weekly carpet racing out of a set of VTA tires. When the tires are new I may need to add a bit of rear toe or minor chassis changes to add grip. As the tires wear or grip levels come up on the track, I will make minor changes to take traction away.

My car isn't setup for high grip situations such as large races (Southern Nats). In situations like that, I will glue up a new set of tires and use them over the course of the event. By the mains, the tires have just the right amount of traction for the setup I like to drive. Basically I'm using newer tires to take away a bit of traction, but I could just as easily do that with setup if I wasn't unwilling to change my car.

I've walked around the pits at some of the bigger VTA races and looked at the tires on the A-main cars (sometimes I even make the A-main). I've seen everything from new, old, worn-out, and ballooned up tires on the cars. The obvious differences are setup, driving style, and tire prep (such as how someone cleans and/or adds traction compound to a tire)

In the past I've looked for the best setup/gearing/battery/tire to go faster. What I've learned is that there isn't any magic solution. You just have learn what setup changes your car needs for any given race event and not be afraid to make changes. If all else fails, go back to the kit setup and start again.

The reason I enjoy USVTA is because no matter what setup I've had on my car, it has normally been relatively competitive everywhere I've raced.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For those looking for a little nostalgia of the beginnings of the USVTA, here are some links from the very first, Reedy Style, Nationals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THblp...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--3zG...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0rgS...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFF0S...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUkEy...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Great info Indy

Whats drawing me to vta are the rules. No motor of the month, batteries or what ever else you can think of. The start up cost "might" be more... but I started in short course so 40 for tires I can use for months and only having 1 set is nothing. SCT bodies run twice as much as VTA bodies and your lucky a SCT body lasts the first night with out a 12yo lawn darting over a triple into the next lane into your truck... Yeah Ive been there....
Old 01-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kbmoss
Great info Indy

Whats drawing me to vta are the rules. No motor of the month, batteries or what ever else you can think of. The start up cost "might" be more... but I started in short course so 40 for tires I can use for months and only having 1 set is nothing. SCT bodies run twice as much as VTA bodies and your lucky a SCT body lasts the first night with out a 12yo lawn darting over a triple into the next lane into your truck... Yeah Ive been there....
Hey! Im in my forties man.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Hey! Im in my forties man.
Lol you know what I meant.... I had a brand new rator flotek which was 40 when they came out and another 60 in paint. $100 gone the first night bc a 12 yo liked to see his truck fly....
Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
Frankly, I'm tired of trying to determine the intent of every rule. The "intent" of the tire rule. The "intent" of the driver figure rule. It is either a rule or it isn't.

Some of the main VTA dudes here say they run them until they pop. The "intent" is not that clear is it?
I have to admit, I get a kick out of all this 'interpretation'. The rule is the rule. If you want to run bald tires, run them unless there is a local or race rule requiring tread. If you want to run a tootsie pop for a driver, run it. who cares? its a toy car. Have fun and channel some of that arguing about the intent of the rules into just having fun.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikel33
I have to admit, I get a kick out of all this 'interpretation'. The rule is the rule. If you want to run bald tires, run them unless there is a local or race rule requiring tread. If you want to run a tootsie pop for a driver, run it. who cares? its a toy car. Have fun and channel some of that arguing about the intent of the rules into just having fun.
I agree, but I also find it funny how people overlook what they don't want to see!!! The beauty of VTA is that you don't haved to have the latest and greatest stuff to be competitive. My friend Paul (aka SLOTMACHINE) won the VTA championship at the 2010 ROAR Indoor Nationals at The Track in MD with an old outdated chassis, a used motor he bought off of ebay, a barrowed battery, and if I recall correctly a set of tires he recovered from the trash can. At that time, the ROAR rules were 'interpreted' by the race director (perhaps using the rational if slicks aren't allowed then some tread is needed) as requiring the tires to have some visible tread across each tire; however, that didn't prevent traction rolls (carpet surface) - a problem easily fixed with a little CA glue on the sidewalls and up to one groove of the front tires.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
I agree, but I also find it funny how people overlook what they don't want to see!!! The beauty of VTA is that you don't haved to have the latest and greatest stuff to be competitive. My friend Paul (aka SLOTMACHINE) won the VTA championship at the 2010 ROAR Indoor Nationals at The Track in MD with an old outdated chassis, a used motor he bought off of ebay, a barrowed battery, and if I recall correctly a set of tires he recovered from the trash can. At that time, the ROAR rules were 'interpreted' by the race director (perhaps using the rational if slicks aren't allowed then some tread is needed) as requiring the tires to have some visible tread across each tire; however, that didn't prevent traction rolls (carpet surface) - a problem easily fixed with a little CA glue on the sidewalls and up to one groove of the front tires.
Ur friend must be a VERY talented racer, most of us here have a hard time being consistent with new stuff, not even close to wining a ROAR Championship with stuff out of a garbage can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.