Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Like Tree1665Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Reply

Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 PM
  #4846  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Originally Posted by bertottius View Post
I'm going to be headed out there for this race. I went to the ROAR regionals here in NJ but only 2 VTA cars showed up so, I came home. So, I'm taking a road trip to Indy. Hopefully there will be a good showing there. Are you going Darkside?
We usually have three heats of six on a regular old Friday. I think I counted about 24-28 if all of the regulars with a VTA car showed up at the same time.

I would HOPE that all of the regulars and local part-timers show up plus a fair chunk of out-of-towners.

That being said, I will miss my home Trophy race. Going to be on vacation...
.crispy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM
  #4847  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 33
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Here are some videos of last weekends VTA action at Nor Cal Hobbies, VTA is growing fast in Northern California. Note we ran the main in the oppositte direction as qualifications, this was announced as the cars were lined up for the main. Nobody had a single lap of practise in that direction and it was still a pretty clean start

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...HHDd3U-z0swMC2
DougH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM
  #4848  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (49)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
We usually have three heats of six on a regular old Friday. I think I counted about 24-28 if all of the regulars with a VTA car showed up at the same time.

I would HOPE that all of the regulars and local part-timers show up plus a fair chunk of out-of-towners.

That being said, I will miss my home Trophy race. Going to be on vacation...
That's been typical of Jackson as far as VTA goes. Many of the guys from MRH that run VTA, don't travel. Very few of the locals at Jackson run VTA, as they take 17.5 and mod as their main classes, getting ready for major events (one of them was running mod and 17.5 for that race). There were 3 of us that ended up running, it was still fun but it'd be great if more showed. Many more guys ran at the Horsham race in December.
oceanhighz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 PM
  #4849  
Tech Master
iTrader: (22)
 
bertottius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Barrington, NJ
Posts: 1,041
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by oceanhighz View Post
That's been typical of Jackson as far as VTA goes. Many of the guys from MRH that run VTA, don't travel. Very few of the locals at Jackson run VTA, as they take 17.5 and mod as their main classes, getting ready for major events (one of them was running mod and 17.5 for that race). There were 3 of us that ended up running, it was still fun but it'd be great if more showed. Many more guys ran at the Horsham race in December.
I figured as much. I had my 17.5 car all together but couldn't get my ESC to work. It was 1:30 AM and so I figured I would just show up with the VTA and see what happens. No biggie. I'll drive to Indiana to run lol. Are you talking about the Slowbirds race? I plan on making that this coming year. Ray Murray always puts on a good show.
bertottius is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 PM
  #4850  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (49)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Was actually talking the Toys for Tots Charity race at Christmas time, last year we had about 20 entries. I've never been able to make Ray's slowbird race at Horsham, both years I was busy that weekend. Sunday's are tough being so far away before work the next day. When carpet season gets kicking, MRH is a fun place to race for a change of pace if you're going to Horsham. I like both, just happen to live 20 minutes from MRH, whereas the year before I was living in Philly on the weekends with my wife while she was in med school so Horsham was my place that year.
oceanhighz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:34 PM
  #4851  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 126
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Thinking of getting into vta. My ? is how much car do i need as a beginner(race 1/8 nitro buggy now). Is the $149 tc4 club racer good out of the box or would it need too many upgrades? Tc6.1 is really nice looking but $400 is a lot more to pay. Also i have a ko propo rsx response servo, will this be good for tc steering or do i need low profile? Any advice appreciated, thanks
boxstang40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:00 PM
  #4852  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
GryphunRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 306
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DougH View Post
Here are some videos of last weekends VTA action at Nor Cal Hobbies, VTA is growing fast in Northern California. Note we ran the main in the oppositte direction as qualifications, this was announced as the cars were lined up for the main. Nobody had a single lap of practise in that direction and it was still a pretty clean start

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...HHDd3U-z0swMC2
very cool.

Doug..since you are in the next town from I, you plan on going to Delta raceway when they get the new on road track complete? I just bought a TC chassis and am gearing up for the VTA class there.
GryphunRacing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:05 PM
  #4853  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (22)
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,714
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by boxstang40 View Post
Thinking of getting into vta. My ? is how much car do i need as a beginner(race 1/8 nitro buggy now). Is the $149 tc4 club racer good out of the box or would it need too many upgrades? Tc6.1 is really nice looking but $400 is a lot more to pay. Also i have a ko propo rsx response servo, will this be good for tc steering or do i need low profile? Any advice appreciated, thanks
I see a lot of club racers and TC3s for that matter. There is also the Sakura cars in that price range, and the spec r car as well.

Your servo should be fine.
robk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:07 PM
  #4854  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (39)
 
egalsim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 859
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by boxstang40 View Post
Thinking of getting into vta. My ? is how much car do i need as a beginner(race 1/8 nitro buggy now). Is the $149 tc4 club racer good out of the box or would it need too many upgrades? Tc6.1 is really nice looking but $400 is a lot more to pay. Also i have a ko propo rsx response servo, will this be good for tc steering or do i need low profile? Any advice appreciated, thanks
You could run a used $50 tc3 and still win. I've seen losi xxx-s cars kick butt.
egalsim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:39 PM
  #4855  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 126
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the info. Also on batteries amain has the eco 5000 30c for $35 and protek 5000 35c for $59. Both r amain brands and hard case roar approved so is there any reason to buy the more expensive battery?
boxstang40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 PM
  #4856  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canal Fulton, OH
Posts: 597
Default

Originally Posted by boxstang40 View Post
Thanks for the info. Also on batteries amain has the eco 5000 30c for $35 and protek 5000 35c for $59. Both r amain brands and hard case roar approved so is there any reason to buy the more expensive battery?
SMC ROAR-approved 5000mAh (inboard, Traxxas, or Dean's) for $29.99:

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...ory&path=67_78
JimmyMack12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 PM
  #4857  
Tech Master
iTrader: (8)
 
DarthRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,100
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12 View Post
SMC ROAR-approved 5000mAh (inboard, Traxxas, or Dean's) for $29.99:

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...ory&path=67_78
I bought me one of them 40C packs for my VTA car. Every bit as good or better than the Reedy pack I have of the same specs.
DarthRacer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:31 PM
  #4858  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (94)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norcal
Posts: 916
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by GryphunRacing View Post
very cool.

Doug..since you are in the next town from I, you plan on going to Delta raceway when they get the new on road track complete? I just bought a TC chassis and am gearing up for the VTA class there.
I'm gearing up for the Delta onroad track too! I picked up a Sakura Zero S that's set up for VTA. They laid the asphalt down already. Shouldn't be too much longer until its ready!
eddiemoney13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 PM
  #4859  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
GryphunRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 306
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by eddiemoney13 View Post
I'm gearing up for the Delta onroad track too! I picked up a Sakura Zero S that's set up for VTA. They laid the asphalt down already. Shouldn't be too much longer until its ready!
Awesome. I picked up a TC6.1 Worlds (although it will be overkill for VTA but whatevzies).

Also believe its going to draw a large crowd as their is a big need around the east bay for another venue (besides norcal hobbies).

Almost perfect if someone built a track right off the 680 in San Ramon or even Dublin area.
GryphunRacing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 AM
  #4860  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 33
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I can't wait for Delta to finally start running indoor again. Anyone remember racing on the indoor carpet track they used to have at the fairgrounds?

I remember when we ran the Spec10 class, somehow that car exactly suited me and I was one of the fast guys when we ran that class. Now I'm at the back of the pack but still having fun.
DougH is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service