Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I believe this type of thing is the root of the problem that most are talking about. Yes racing is pricey, but this is over the top. Buying several motors, or even looking at dozens (where can you even do this, most hobby shops only have 2-3 on hand at any given time) at a time is cheating the spirit of USVTA. This class was meant to be a relatively inexpensive and fair class to race.

I enjoy the class at my local track because we all just have fun. I dont have to worry about tires or motor choice, just some suspention tuning. But I guess that some people just feel that money is no object when it comes to winning.
This is why I run modified. I found it harder to compete in the stock classes because so many people go to any length to run good in this class instead of it being a good novice class for the entry level driver.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
I agree, and I do not do this.
BUT I race against team drivers who have boxes of motors, and I know of one other guy who did buy alot of timing bells to find THE one..

Personally I think the timing should be carved into the metal not a sticker some loser will move
While I want everyone to race classes they enjoy, and whike its not against the rules, it can be exciting and discouraging for the twice a month racer to run against factory sponsored guys. Yes its cool to see the pros go at it and you can learn alot from them, but when there is zero chance of me winning and a really good chance I could cause them to not win by getting in te way, racing begins to loose its luster. I would like to see something similar to nitro and have pro and sportsman classes.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxgregg
This is why I run modified. I found it harder to compete in the stock classes because so many people go to any length to run good in this class instead of it being a good novice class for the entry level driver.
I'm sure you didn't intend it as such, but I have to try to not be offended when people refer to classes that are "low powered" as "novice" or "entry level". Many very accomplished racers simply prefer to race slower cars. I guess I'd say I'm fairly accomplished and I simply have more fun racing slower classes. While it's complimentary to have folks ask when I'll "move up" to blinky or mod, they're simply not classes that appeal to me.

For example, VTA is slow, but I don't believe VTA is an entry level class. The only class that should be considered a "stepping stone" is a "novice" class. Anything else is fair game for drivers of all skill levels, IMO.

Personally, I race in USGT and VTA, i.e. slow classes. I've had some level of success, but rather than move to blinky or mod, I try to recruit fast guys to run USGT and VTA!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I totally understand and I mean no offence to good drivers who like these classes. Everyone has something they have fun driving. I guess I always looked at the stock motor classes as entry level classes when they really aren't.

Originally Posted by Tommy R
I'm sure you didn't intend it as such, but I have to try to not be offended when people refer to classes that are "low powered" as "novice" or "entry level". Many very accomplished racers simply prefer to race slower cars. I guess I'd say I'm fairly accomplished and I simply have more fun racing slower classes. While it's complimentary to have folks ask when I'll "move up" to blinky or mod, they're simply not classes that appeal to me.

For example, VTA is slow, but I don't believe VTA is an entry level class. The only class that should be considered a "stepping stone" is a "novice" class. Anything else is fair game for drivers of all skill levels, IMO.

Personally, I race in USGT and VTA, i.e. slow classes. I've had some level of success, but rather than move to blinky or mod, I try to recruit fast guys to run USGT and VTA!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default VTA racing

If anybody is in the Philadelphia, South Jersey area come out to Wagner Park SJCCR has an awesome venue for VTA racing. We're trying to get some more guys out to run.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...g-but-fun.html
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tommy R
JayL, you really noticed that big a difference with the ceramic bearings (in the chassis) over standard bearings? I was debating this for my TC6, but most of what I read said it was more for longevity than outright speed. Your thoughts?
It is mostly the running of only ONE SHIELD on the bearing that makes the big difference, not the steel/ceramic.

I have found big changes in top speed based on timing, on my track. If you can gain 10ft on the 170ft straight EVERY lap you can lose 7ft in the infield and still be untouchable. On shorter straights I totally agree: less timing can be faster
Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I usually just read this thread but after a few post ago- I just had to say something. At the Nationals 2 weeks ago I got to watch the second heat of VTA run. The TQ was the guy that has been kicking butt at our state races all year long.I watched his lines and that was the difference. He wasn't faster but when you can take the shortest way around the track lap after lap. He was consistant! He can do things my tired old eyes and reflexes won't let me do anymore.I enjoy the class and I measure my success on how well I can get close to what his car can do around the track.
Oh and I'll be racing him again this weekend and the Nationals winner. I'll have fun and I don't worry about someone with something fishy!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I usually just read this thread but after a few post ago- I just had to say something. At the Nationals 2 weeks ago I got to watch the second heat of VTA run. The TQ was the guy that has been kicking butt at our state races all year long.I watched his lines and that was the difference. He wasn't faster but when you can take the shortest way around the track lap after lap. He was consistant! He can do things my tired old eyes and reflexes won't let me do anymore.I enjoy the class and I measure my success on how well I can get close to what his car can do around the track.
Oh and I'll be racing him again this weekend and the Nationals winner. I'll have fun and I don't worry about someone with something fishy!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

It's funny - people think that spec classes aren't all that competitive, when it's the exact opposite. Plus, they CAN be some of the most expensive (unless you take measures, like VTA has)

In Rally, the California Rally Series has both open classes as well as a very tightly controlled one called CRS-2 (2WD, tons of restrictions) - people think it should be the slowest and most boring, but it's the tightest class every time and the class winner took 3rd overall at the last rally - not shabby for a Honda Civic racing against Subies and such.

My point is only that not only are spec classes not necessarily "entry" but they can be the most competitive and most fun of any classes out there.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Amen, Boomer. Preach it!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boomer
It's funny - people think that spec classes aren't all that competitive, when it's the exact opposite. Plus, they CAN be some of the most expensive (unless you take measures, like VTA has)

In Rally, the California Rally Series has both open classes as well as a very tightly controlled one called CRS-2 (2WD, tons of restrictions) - people think it should be the slowest and most boring, but it's the tightest class every time and the class winner took 3rd overall at the last rally - not shabby for a Honda Civic racing against Subies and such.

My point is only that not only are spec classes not necessarily "entry" but they can be the most competitive and most fun of any classes out there.

And that is why I like VTA. Tight racing and very fun. It pushes me to continually tweak my setup and driving to get that extra tenth of a second. The guys I race with are all very competitive and good drivers and I can see my skill improving as I race with them. I ran off-road for the first time in a while and noticed how much more in control I felt on the track.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Has/does anyone ever tried out the Thunder Tiger T4SE for a VTA car? Looking to try and go VTA racing with a brand-new car on a budget
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM;12154552
If you are running an old chassis and the other guys is running a new chassis that is worth time. I perfect TC4 will never be as fast as a perfect Xray T3/T4, Yokomo BD7, AE TC6.1, etc...

[IMG
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Intelligentsia/TC5R/S7304812.jpg[/IMG]
This statement is misleading for the potential newer drivers to the class. You do not need the latest greatest chassis to compete at the front in VTA racing. Case in point, the recent USVTA Nats the top 3 were:

1. Losi XXX-S
2. Tamiya TB03 (quals) / TA05 (Mains)
3. Tamiya 415msx

A properly setup chassis is a MUST, but not the latest greatest.

Jimmy
Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
Has/does anyone ever tried out the Thunder Tiger T4SE for a VTA car? Looking to try and go VTA racing with a brand-new car on a budget
Spec-R S1 $129

Can't get any cheaper than that.

I happen to know someone that TQ'd in Indy with one...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Did I ever mention how much I love this class?

I ran with the Dallas boys (and girl) tonight again and had a blast. I botched the main, but oh well. Still an awesome time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.