Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigtee
there is some cheating going on in vta at my local track vta car driving like touring cars with throttle turn down wtf is going on here what are these cheater doing to these 25.5 motors to get them that fast ? i hear that they are changing the stator and rotor not stock 25.5
I am running an FDR below 4.0 on my TC4 and can pull away from just about anyone on the backstretch. I lose time in the twisty sections though. Motor timing is at 35deg. It may look like cheating to some people.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
I am running an FDR below 4.0 on my TC4 and can pull away from just about anyone on the backstretch. I lose time in the twisty sections though. Motor timing is at 35deg. It may look like cheating to some people.
I'm with Darth, my FDR is under 4.0 as well and does just fine against other racers on the track. If your getting ran over at twice the speed then I can see something being wrong.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

As far as cheating in VTA, what speed controls are the "cheater" cars using? If they aren't using a USVTA legal speed control, there are a number of ways they could be gaining advantages. Before the current USVTA rules, I've caught a few people running a midly boosted car (one even claimed they changed to blinky but the programming on their speed control didn't take).

I've raced enought VTA to know that some people will just get everything right and their cars will just be faster than almost everyone else. By faster, I mean lap times and not necessarily straight speeds. A VTA car geared fairly tall will gradually pull away/catch up compared to other cars on a long straight. However, no VTA car should look like it is shifting into a 2nd gear on a long straight. I would suspect a car like that is using a tuning rotor, which IS illegal per USVTA rules.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is a big lap time spread among VTA racers at my local track. However, there is very little straightaway speed difference.

Why?

Setup: The faster drivers work on their car setup, get their cars to stick hard and steer hard.

Maintenance: The faster drivers check their bearings to make sure they are free and smooth, their shocks are filled right, suspension moved freely, etc....

Driving: VTA cars are really slow. If your car is setup right and maintained right you have to put it in the right place on the track to maintain momentum and corner speed to net the best lap times.

VTA is all about precision in your car setup and in driving. As racers get more serious and faster racers start running VTA it is becoming a very challenging class.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 on what Adrian said. I spent countless hours on mine working on the shocks, suspension, diffs, and any other corner I could find to get mine to run at its optimum and still have not gotten all out of it I can. I don"t have much straight speed to speak of compared to the others I race with but gain a ton of speed in the corners and tight sections of the track. Adrian has seen me spend a whole race night rebuilding every corner on the car to squeck out one more tenth so maybe you need to do some more homework before blasting guys that worked hard to get theirs fast.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Do you guys typically reduce droop in VTA vs. a TC setup?

Dave
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I so agree: I constantly get acussed of cheating as my lap times and race times are much faster than most. It is due to tuning and the nut behind the wheel.

my droop is almost the same as my mod car, it is my roll centers that are FAR different, I raise the lower arms
Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Locally, we have very good parity regarding top speeds in VTA. Of course, lap times will vary quite a bit, but most everyone has very similar top speeds and it's very evident because we typically have a quite long straightaway. It's not often a car is significantly faster, but when they are, it's pretty obvious.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert

Dave
As for me not really, I run about the same droop on both depending on traction and surface. Asphalt vs carpet that is.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Locally, we have very good parity regarding top speeds in VTA. Of course, lap times will vary quite a bit, but most everyone has very similar top speeds and it's very evident because we typically have a quite long straightaway. It's not often a car is significantly faster, but when they are, it's pretty obvious.
it is so so VARY VARY OBVIOUS!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by -Dutch-
Here's a thought:
Post the name of the track and the names of people who you think are cheating and I'll bet that by the end of one week you have most of them waiting for you out side of the track so they can explain to you how they are "cheating". They may choose explain one at a time or all together. All together would be quicker.

After you get out of the hospital you might want to take up collecting Hello Kitty fan swag or something on that level.

Just a note:
If this track you go to is running USVTA rules, then the stators are color coded and the modded rotors have are marked to identify them as well (go to NOVAK's web site and see for yourself) because only NOVAK motors are legal.
Derp.

http://teamnovak.com/products/index....x&cPath=98_116

http://teamnovak.com/products/index....x&cPath=98_111
NO NEED FOR THAT NO NEED TO CALL ANYONE OUT JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT COULD BE GOING ON. AND EVEN IF I WAS TO DO THAT I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF BUDDY AND ANYWAY IT NOT AT ALL THAT SERIOUS TO COME TO BLOWS IT JUST A HOBBY AND IF YOU R A CHEATER AND THATS THEY WAY YOU FEEL TO GET AND EDGE THEN SO BE IT I AM JUST HAVING FUN. WIN OR LOOSE I AM HAVING FUN. BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT IN ANY COMPETITIVE SPORT OR HOBBY CHEATING IS ALWAYS GOING TO HAPPEN.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Personally I think that if it is so obvious that people are cheating, then your local track should be running their tech program a little better. However, I can't stress enough how important chassis set up is. Tenths of seconds add up in a 5-8 minute race. If the track is small enough, it could result in your being a lap down in no time.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Michal101
Hey Darth,

I appreciate the info, but what I meant out of all of the USVTA approved wheel selections (chrome, mat finishes etc) which one works best for painting or using black nail polish without chipping.

Thanks
I meant to reply to this the other day, too. If you opt for the chrome or flat aluminum looking wheels, make sure you remove any of the chrome or coating that is in the glue or lip seating area. I bought a set of chrome wheels and tires pre-mounted from a local racer. He did NOT sand away the chrome. Once a tire pulls away from the rim it will pull the plating from the wheel and it's virtually impossible to get them to adhere properly.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert

Dave
Nope, pretty much run the same amount in all the classes (VTA, USGT, 17.5) and across the 415, TA05, 416 platforms I use to run the various classes.

Of course, always adjusting to the track conditions in any of them (little more / little less).

Jimmy
Old 05-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by shadowracer24
+1 on what Adrian said. I spent countless hours on mine working on the shocks, suspension, diffs, and any other corner I could find to get mine to run at its optimum and still have not gotten all out of it I can. I don"t have much straight speed to speak of compared to the others I race with but gain a ton of speed in the corners and tight sections of the track. Adrian has seen me spend a whole race night rebuilding every corner on the car to squeck out one more tenth so maybe you need to do some more homework before blasting guys that worked hard to get theirs fast.
Not bashing anyone I am just saying that when you see these cars run up against already known fast drivers and they lap the track and even the fast guys are like wtf.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.