Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyujmn
Im running Gens Ace 5000mah/50c batteries. They're older packs, had them for almost a year now. Not puffed at all. Still balance charges perfectly to 4.2v each cell, and after a run, they'll be within .01v of each other, like 3.98/3.97. So the packs themselves are in good condition. Im just noticing that I get really slow after a while. No matter what I do, I can't stay at the same pace. On my local track, I'll be doing 14.1-14.3 consistently and then I'll notice that my times go down to 14.7/14.8 every lap after about 4 mins. At the end of 8 min mains, I'll be averaging 14.9s every lap.
Have you experimented with simply dropping teeth on the pinion? Maybe you're just over geared.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Default New to VTA

Hi guys,
I have a TRF417 here, stopped and I decided to build a VTA, even though we don't have this category here in Brazil, the idea is just to have fun.
I was looking at bodies, tires and wheels and got a couple of questions:
- Size body? 190 or 200mm
- Tires and wheels? 26 all the way or 26 in the front and 31 on the rear?
I plan to run on asphalt, what compound would be better?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry
Just saw the whole thing in the first page, which I did not look before posting.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fabricio
Hi guys,
I have a TRF417 here, stopped and I decided to build a VTA, even though we don't have this category here in Brazil, the idea is just to have fun.
I was looking at bodies, tires and wheels and got a couple of questions:
- Size body? 190 or 200mm
- Tires and wheels? 26 all the way or 26 in the front and 31 on the rear?
I plan to run on asphalt, what compound would be better?
Thanks in advance.
200mm
26f, 31r

www.usvintagetransam.com

Go here and look in the rules. It tells everything that is legal for USVTA. If its your 1st, and no one else has one there, the best thing to do is build one that is truely USVTA car IMO. That way you will get the full experience of the class, and maybe get more people to follow. You won't regret it!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fluffy622
Cool video Todd! Where did you get that video recorder at? It takes pretty good video compared to the others that i have seen.

I think restarting the race when the first lap isn't clean is a GREAT idea! Have you mentioned it to Brad yet? Let me know, and we can mention it on Friday before racin starts.
I won't be racing on Friday. The band plays this weekend on Friday and Saturday. The camera came from hobby king.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone have any idea when we can expect to see some HPI VTA stuff back in stock in local hobby shops and/or major distributors? Most places are out of stock and expected due dates seem to just keep geting pushed back farther and farther. I've found some tires and rims but am looking for the 68 Camaro body and the painted interior driver set.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey folks,

I plan on posting this in the Hobbywing thread, but since it's a VTA car, I'm hoping someone here may be able to shed some light on this issue.

The problem involved my Hobbywing Justock ESC. Basically, if I apply the brakes entering a corner, there is often times a delay before the car will accelerate again. The delay isn't terribly long, but it's long enough that it resulted in me getting rear-ended at the last race! (Not the other driver's fault, obviously) It's maybe a 1/2 second or possibly longer.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into a similar situation and how they addressed it. Maybe I have a setting screwed up? Here's the specs of my car/electronics that might be of some help:

- Futaba 4PL radio
- Novak 25.5T motor
- Savox 2157 servo
- 5000 mah battery (40c or 65c)
- Associated TC6 chassis

Thanks!
Tommy
Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Hey folks,

I plan on posting this in the Hobbywing thread, but since it's a VTA car, I'm hoping someone here may be able to shed some light on this issue.

The problem involved my Hobbywing Justock ESC. Basically, if I apply the brakes entering a corner, there is often times a delay before the car will accelerate again. The delay isn't terribly long, but it's long enough that it resulted in me getting rear-ended at the last race! (Not the other driver's fault, obviously) It's maybe a 1/2 second or possibly longer.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into a similar situation and how they addressed it. Maybe I have a setting screwed up? Here's the specs of my car/electronics that might be of some help:

- Futaba 4PL radio
- Novak 25.5T motor
- Savox 2157 servo
- 5000 mah battery (40c or 65c)
- Associated TC6 chassis

Thanks!
Tommy
Do you have reverse engaged?? I noticed that my justock has a delay when going reverse to forward. It's designed to protect the drive train from damage.

When you brake, do you often press the brakes more than once? If so, that might be what's causing it. When I get home tonight, I'll test mine thoroughly as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Do you have reverse engaged?? I noticed that my justock has a delay when going reverse to forward. It's designed to protect the drive train from damage.

When you brake, do you often press the brakes more than once? If so, that might be what's causing it. When I get home tonight, I'll test mine thoroughly as well.
Try that out and let us know. I'm running two Justock's in oval class, set to forward/brake only with the program card as well as max brakes, and haven't encountered what you have described. Mine are about 6 months old.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Tech Addict

I do have forward/brake/reverse all activated. Reverse is in there 'cause we often lack marshals during practices and it comes in handy from time to time. I plan on doing some more bench testing tonight and will report back.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DougH
Anyone have any idea when we can expect to see some HPI VTA stuff back in stock in local hobby shops and/or major distributors? Most places are out of stock and expected due dates seem to just keep geting pushed back farther and farther. I've found some tires and rims but am looking for the 68 Camaro body and the painted interior driver set.
Did HPI get bought or merge with another company? hmmmmm What will VTA do without any tires?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
I do have forward/brake/reverse all activated. Reverse is in there 'cause we often lack marshals during practices and it comes in handy from time to time. I plan on doing some more bench testing tonight and will report back.
I think that's probably it.

Hobbywing escs reverse by pressing reverse twice. When you go from reverse to full forward, there's a very minor delay. It took me ages o figure out what happened too. I used to always reverse backwards into our startin points and would always start after everyone else, even though I'd press full throttle.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes they have a new distributor- and I guess it will take awhile to get caught up with the tires. I got a spare set when I heard everything was going down with the deal.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

I think that's probably it.

Hobbywing escs reverse by pressing reverse twice. When you go from reverse to full forward, there's a very minor delay. It took me ages o figure out what happened too. I used to always reverse backwards into our startin points and would always start after everyone else, even though I'd press full throttle.
Well, I just did a test on the bench and I can go from throttle to brake to throttle with no delay whatsoever. I even tried partial throttle and brake positions and had the same results. So is it something that only happens under load?

Here's a thought. My Savox 1257 is a known power hog. Usually when I get this delay it's entering a corner. I wonder if maybe the ESC is browning out when braking and turning simultaneously? I've got a glitch buster. Maybe I'll install that for Sunday's race to see if that helps any....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.