Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Like Tree1563Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Reply

Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
  #4441  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chi-Town West Burbs
Posts: 1,509
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
Here's some new stuff...

My LHS has stocked a couple of these fully RTR 1969 Camaros made by Vaterra. It's similar to the HPI Sprint 2 RTR Camaro, only it costs less. Also the Vaterra is a shaft driven car, not belt driven like the Sprint 2.
This car is similar to a tt-01, with a nice body. It comes with a brushed motor and a NIMH battery.

The body WILL NOT fit on a USVTA set-up chassis. I believe it is 190mm.
mooby64 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:36 PM
  #4442  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pembroke, ON Canada
Posts: 826
Arrow

Originally Posted by mooby64 View Post
This car is similar to a tt-01, with a nice body. It comes with a brushed motor and a NIMH battery.

The body WILL NOT fit on a USVTA set-up chassis. I believe it is 190mm.
Brushed to keep cost low, but i think you can fit a VTA 200MM body on it.
i know its lipo ready!
Not sure if its Brushless ready but im going to guess yes.
still a Awesome looking car.

Here the stats&specs from vaterra http://www.vaterrarc.com/Products/De...rodId=VTR03006
Lets see if the beautiful car is VTA legal!
Schs2013 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 PM
  #4443  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (30)
 
Racer X79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Waterford, Wi
Posts: 407
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

A local Hobbytown had a Vaterra '69 Camaro on display. The body is very nice and plenty wide to fit VTA rear tires under it. The bumpers are chrome plated and bolt on, and the rear taillight section/lower rear quarter panel section is a seperate piece, like the HPI 2010 Camaro body. The person at Hobbytown looked up the body p/n and said they would be available painted and clear but didn't have a date when they'd be in stock at Horizon. The chassis is very basic but it looked like it was nice quality, and it looked like there was plenty of room for a brushless set up.
Racer X79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 PM
  #4444  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pembroke, ON Canada
Posts: 826
Default

that cool they only have twin hammers on display where i shop.
Schs2013 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 PM
  #4445  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,560
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
Brushed to keep cost low, but i think you can fit a VTA 200MM body on it.
i know its lipo ready!
Not sure if its Brushless ready but im going to guess yes.
still a Awesome looking car.

Here the stats&specs from vaterra http://www.vaterrarc.com/Products/De...rodId=VTR03006
Lets see if the beautiful car is VTA legal!
So the question: "is the Vaterra VTR03006 VTA legal?"... Let's break it down section by section as listed in the official USVTA Rules.
  1. Body: Not Legal. Vaterra's 190mm '69 Camaro body is not USVTA legal. It must replaced with one of the 18 legal USVTA bodies for this car.
  2. Driver Figure: Not Legal. Vaterra does not include a driver figure with their car.
  3. Tires and Wheels: Not Legal. The tires and wheels must replaced with HPI 4793 and 4797 tires and HPI Vintage wheels.
  4. Chassis: USVTA Legal.The Vaterra chassis is 4WD and 1/10 scale, so the chassis is legal for USVTA.
  5. Motor: Not Legal. Vaterra has a Dynamite 15-Turn brushed motor in the car. It must replaced with one of 2 Novak's 25.5T brushless motors (either p/n 3625V or p/n 3425V).
  6. ESC: Not Legal. Vaterra has a Dynamite Tazer Brushed ESC in the car. It must replaced with one of the 18 USVTA approved ESC's.
  7. Battery: Not Legal. Vaterra includes a 1800mah 6-cell NiMH battery with the car. It must replaced with a 5000mah LiPo battery to be USVTA legal.
So IMHO with the Vaterra RTR Camaro, you are paying around $220.00 for a USVTA legal 4WD chassis. To make the Vaterra a fully legal USVTA car you will need to buy approx. $300.00 more.
wwddww34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 PM
  #4446  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pembroke, ON Canada
Posts: 826
Default

Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
So the question: "is the Vaterra VTR03006 VTA legal?"... Let's break it down section by section as listed in the official USVTA Rules.
  1. Body: Not Legal. Vaterra's 190mm '69 Camaro body is not USVTA legal. It must replaced with one of the 18 legal USVTA bodies for this car.
  2. Driver Figure: Not Legal. Vaterra does not include a driver figure with their car.
  3. Tires and Wheels: Not Legal. The tires and wheels must replaced with HPI 4793 and 4797 tires and HPI Vintage wheels.
  4. Chassis: USVTA Legal.The Vaterra chassis is 4WD and 1/10 scale, so the chassis is legal for USVTA.
  5. Motor: Not Legal. Vaterra has a Dynamite 15-Turn brushed motor in the car. It must replaced with one of 2 Novak's 25.5T brushless motors (either p/n 3625V or p/n 3425V).
  6. ESC: Not Legal. Vaterra has a Dynamite Tazer Brushed ESC in the car. It must replaced with one of the 18 USVTA approved ESC's.
  7. Battery: Not Legal. Vaterra includes a 1800mah 6-cell NiMH battery with the car. It must replaced with a 5000mah LiPo battery to be USVTA legal.
So IMHO with the Vaterra RTR Camaro, you are paying around $220.00 for a USVTA legal 4WD chassis. To make the Vaterra a fully legal USVTA car you will need to buy approx. $300.00 more.
Still a good looking car.
And i just recompared Stats and specs so its better to get the HPI one. and Hpi has no driver figure so how is it all legal? or its a sticker you add?
Schs2013 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 PM
  #4447  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,560
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
Still a good looking car.
And i just recompared Stats and specs so its better to get the HPI one. and Hpi has no driver figure so how is it all legal? or its a sticker you add?
Nobody ever said that the HPI Sprint 2 RTR is all USVTA legal. You get a legal HPI '69 Camaro body, a set of 4 legal HPI Vintage tires/wheels, and a 4WD chassis that's also legal. With the HPI Sprint 2 you still have to replace the motor, ESC, and battery to make it fully USVTA legal.

Last edited by wwddww34; 03-25-2013 at 12:10 AM.
wwddww34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 PM
  #4448  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pembroke, ON Canada
Posts: 826
Questions??

Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
Nobody ever said that the HPI Sprint 2 RTR is all USVTA legal. You get a legal HPI '69 Camaro body, a set of 4 legal HPI Vintage tires/wheels, and a 4WD chassis that's also legal. With the HPI Sprint 2 you still have to replace the motor, ESC, and battery to make if fully USVTA legal.
What i Meant is that its closer to legal than the Vattera.
Schs2013 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 AM
  #4449  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Tornado Alley
Posts: 308
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

My LHS is carrying the Vaterra too. I took a look at it and the chassis is pretty non adjustable as is. One would have to put some work into it to race it I would think. I think a Sakura Zero S would be as cheap or less to get on the ground fully ready.
nubie-wan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 AM
  #4450  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (40)
 
Rodarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 979
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

So when a 1/10 scale "Late '60s to early '70s American pony car Vintage Trans-Am body" is released to market, what is the process for it to gain USVTA approval? To me the Vaterra body should meet the criteria. It seems that by default when a body is newly released it is automatically illegal because it's not on the approved list.
Rodarbal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 AM
  #4451  
Tech Master
iTrader: (22)
 
bertottius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Barrington, NJ
Posts: 1,035
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Forgive me if it was aready asked but, which of the speedos has the best drag brakes. I've had trouble getting any brakes at all into the Edge ESC.
bertottius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM
  #4452  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Originally Posted by bertottius View Post
Forgive me if it was aready asked but, which of the speedos has the best drag brakes. I've had trouble getting any brakes at all into the Edge ESC.
Really? I never run more than three blinks. At the higher settings you let off the gas and the car stops almost immediately.
.crispy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 AM
  #4453  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 66
Default

Originally Posted by bertottius View Post
Forgive me if it was aready asked but, which of the speedos has the best drag brakes. I've had trouble getting any brakes at all into the Edge ESC.
Little or no brakes Ina Novak edge is many times due to improper calibration of the ESC and radio. It is fairly common to improperly perform the calibration sequence and the ESC seems happy and throttle controls seems fine but brakes are near nothing even when turning the brake and drag brake settings up all the way.

Try re-calibrating your ESC.
tgr2000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 AM
  #4454  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (19)
 
alloyslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 538
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I run the Edge and I have no problem with the brakes ( Futaba 4pl ). I cranked the drag brake all the way up once and it would make the motor squeal when I let off the throttle, like I was applying brakes. As TGR said, try recalibrating the radio/esc together.
alloyslash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 PM
  #4455  
Tech Master
iTrader: (22)
 
bertottius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Barrington, NJ
Posts: 1,035
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

thanks guys. ive tried to recalibrate it and it dodnt work. can anyone post some intructions on the proper way to do it?
bertottius is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service