Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
See to me that works, its scheme is period correct and the color helps see it. Werent you running a mustang with same scheme at the GORC?

To each their own. Dont take offense to what I was saying. I know tone is hard to read. I was just pointing out to people who allow non legal stuff basically lock themselves in a closet to the rest of the RC/USVTA community. Especially while bringing in new drivers. Only thing it helps is that particular track and actually hurts the USVTA class and rc racing in general. Im not pointing a finger at you, even if it looks that way, just in general the tracks who allow the other stuff. Less people can race actual events just cause someone doesnt like a brand name. I just hope when bringing in new racers to a track that allows more then whats in the rules, they are told about how they wont be allowed to race the bigger races elsewhere. In a way killing the SPIRIT of the class.

As for cars burning up Ive seen Castle, Tekin as well as a few others burn up just as well. Only seen 1 novak burn up. They are all able to do it. Im not particular to any brand personally.

Again Im not picking at you. I dont know you from adam. Just pointing out the limitations it puts on where people can race.
I know what you are saying about the above highlighted comment. Locally we don't have a very big onroad crowd. And we only race onroad 3-1/2 months out of the year. Most guys have a hard time buying a chassis let alone new electronics for that short amount of time. Thats why we decided not to limit the mfg. So people could use their existing electronics. Anyone who does decide to race VTA I make sure to explain they wont be able to run most other places unless you follow the USVTA to the letter. Nothing sucks more than having to buy twice because of lack of information. We have a few though who are running usvta legal cars. Mine is one of them with the exception of the battery (5300mah).

But like a lot of things, what works one place may not work elsewhere. The track owner and I had several conversations about this though and thats what we thought worked best for us, given our situation.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all of your replies, it's good to draw upon all the knowledge and experience you guys have.

Originally Posted by chongo
Have you tried another motor?
Have you called Novak? Warranty maybe.
No I only have one 25.5 motor. I may be able to borrow somebody else's motor this next weekend. Do you have a phone number for Novak?

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Has your GTB2 been used to drive a modified motor? If so did the ESC overheat?
I bought this GTB2 ESC used on eBay. So I don't know what it was connected to in the past. It looks brand new so the guy I bought it from took very good care of his stuff.

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
I just take the screws till they stop with little pressure on the end bell then about 1/8th turn. What I had thought was "snug" before turned out to be too much and what you described is exactly what mine was doing. Put a year on it since without a single issue.
The timing screws are just barely tightened. I can rotate the timing circuit by hand without having to loosen the screws. The car will move if I give it a push start, but it still will not budge from a dead stop.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
No I only have one 25.5 motor. I may be able to borrow somebody else's motor this next weekend. Do you have a phone number for Novak?
Right here is all the info you need. http://v2.teamnovak.com/support
If it's doesn't fall into warranty then the trade in program would be a cheaper option than buying new.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The same thing happened on mine and I found out that the back of the sensor was very close to the endbell cap and would actually arc under load and cause the motor to not start back up. I cut a small piece out of an old decal sheet to fit inside the endbell as an insulator and have had no issues since. Got this information from novak as they had seen a few other problems like this and have started putting a plastic cover on the back of the sensor board to cure it. If you still have issues after trying this then unfortunatley it may be that your esc has gone bad.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
Don't have a good answer for that. Ideally you have racers that don't try to get passed the rules. But everyone knows thats not gonna happen. It's racing. Everyone wants an edge.

BTW, My comment "regardless of what RobK or anyone else thinks" was to simply say your opinion or anyone else's wont change my opinion of the rule. If you allow it at races you run then thats up to you.

If something is in the rule book and its too difficult to police then maybe it shouldn't be in the rule book, or maybe all that is needed is to define what is acceptable use of traction compound and whats not.

And no I'm not saying the rules need to be changed. Just clarified. Someone new should be able to read the rules and have no question as to what's allowed and what's not. I had my wife read that specific rule, she doesn't race, and her thought was the same as mine.
I guess I have to put it this way: the rule was, from what I understand, meant to limit some practices which are dangerous and stupid, for example, lighting tires on fire to soften them. However, you have to realize that within racing there are rules like "the spirit of vta" or from the Tamiya races "if it is not specifically allowed, it is illegal". The point of these rules, and the tire rule, is to give the organizer some leeway to rule as they see fit. Let's say somebody was cutting the inside of the tire with an exacto knife and that made them more compliant, but they fell apart in 3 races....this rule allows somebody to say "you can't do that". It's not grinding or sanding, but something that was unforeseen.

The other thing is that part of this stuff is learning to race. There are things people do to make their cars better which is not obvious but is part of race preparation. Part of racing is thinking about how to make your car better within the rules.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
Ok. Here's some "fuel for the fire". What do you guys think about this fresh VTA paint job?
Originally Posted by wwddww34
What is that on the hood of the car? They look like tentacles from hell!
No Sharpie, that's the burn marks after you cause someones gas tank to explode when you drive through them in the Chicane

BTW, ya got PM

Last edited by GP40X; 11-12-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Looks like a reverse mullet , party up front and VTA in tha back
Roflmao
Sorry I just had to stir the pot

That car blew my hair back

Ok I'm out of beer and jokes
Don't get all bent I'm just playin

Last edited by rcpaintinpete; 11-12-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey guys, I have been racing vta (and touring cars in general) for two months and have been developing some strange tire wear. There is a standing ridge forming on the inside of my rear tires where I have the red line marked. Any ideas what is causing this?
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-tirewear.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anr211
Hey guys, I have been racing vta (and touring cars in general) for two months and have been developing some strange tire wear. There is a standing ridge forming on the inside of my rear tires where I have the red line marked. Any ideas what is causing this?
That is common. It's the beginnings of the "ring of death"
Tire wear is a result of camber but if you are running -2* you're good.
I've driven with rears to the point of the inside tread disappear completely.
Just start planning for a new set of rears tires
Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

hey, I know it's early but any dates being kicked around for The 2013Northern Nationals?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C&B RC
hey, I know it's early but any dates being kicked around for The 2013Northern Nationals?
I believe Myron said it was going to be the same week next year.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C&B RC
are you talking about the Scale Nats, at The Track at Harbor Hobbies
near Chicago?...thats around 1st weekend in April...Eric would have the excat date....or check the IL thread, he might have something posted already

the 2013 USVTA Southern Nationals in Music City,USA will be in Sept 19-22

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 11-13-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chongo
Right here is all the info you need. http://v2.teamnovak.com/support
If it's doesn't fall into warranty then the trade in program would be a cheaper option than buying new.
thanks for posting that....I didnt know about a trade up program
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rescue119
thanks for posting that....I didnt know about a trade up program
The only thing that hurts that program is the $15 shipping charge. If you only are buying one thing, it may be less to just buy a new motor. Just double check. The way around it is to send in several items to Novak to combine shipping. The form allows up to 4. Team up with your buddies is what I did.

They offer refurbished too: http://v2.teamnovak.com/products/ind...bebee49f37b8c4
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Hideeho
I'm a big fan of black & white, enforceable rules. As it sits the tire treatment rule is neither of those. There are 2 ways to deal with the rule, either clamp down or loosen up. The clamp down would be to completely do away with tire treatments all together. The enforcement would be not allowing people to put it on @ the track & allow race organizers to toss out any tire that seems to have been softened at all. The other alternative would be to open it up & only disallow things that are unsafe (fire). This will eventually lead to folks softening tires to the point you only get 1 race out of them. To combat that situation you can put a minimum tread rule in place. This can be anywhere from "There must discernable tread all the across the carcass of the tire at the completion of the race" to "at the completion of the race the tread depth must be a minimum of XXcm at any point on the tire."

Personally, as a current non-racer who will eventually find a track to race at, I feel the 1st rule more follows "the Spirit of USVTA" & would forcibly promote better driving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.