Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
46
30.67%
HPI
104
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3699Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 07-07-2022, 05:00 PM
  #15106  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 454
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Vertebreaker View Post
Keep checking around. We picked up a couple of these bodies back in May at around $45 and it seemed like quite a few places had them in stock so I don't know if HPI is making production runs of them again or not.
Thank you. I believe I saw them at Stormer...
Actually, I was talking about a "real" T/A Challenger. Probably my favorite Muscle Car from that era... hehe
Robio is offline  
Old 07-07-2022, 05:01 PM
  #15107  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 454
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Out of stock.. not production
Thank you. I thought that was the case. A friend said they were discontinued at a few places and I hadn't checked for myself... my bad
Robio is offline  
Old 07-31-2022, 05:54 PM
  #15108  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Scionara05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Queens nyc
Posts: 1,290
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

With all the old school jdm legends like the r31 skyline or a 240 Datsun bodys is there any way to get them to be legal to race. Would love to run a jdm legend car from the 70s or 80s
Scionara05 is offline  
Old 07-31-2022, 06:20 PM
  #15109  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 345
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Scionara05 View Post
With all the old school jdm legends like the r31 skyline or a 240 Datsun bodys is there any way to get them to be legal to race. Would love to run a jdm legend car from the 70s or 80s
Ultimately its up to your club to allow exceptions.
as far as roar, doubt it will change any time soon. But I agree, I'd rather run a cool Japanese 60s body too.
NutDriver likes this.
rc_user is offline  
Old 08-03-2022, 09:19 AM
  #15110  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 9,570
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

https://www.rcsignup.com/events/disp...t.cfm?ID=11691
DARKSIDE is offline  
Old 08-03-2022, 09:38 AM
  #15111  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,520
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rc_user View Post
Ultimately its up to your club to allow exceptions.
as far as roar, doubt it will change any time soon. But I agree, I'd rather run a cool Japanese 60s body too.
As far as I know most tracks use the USVTA rule set and not the ROAR rule set for VTA
NutDriver likes this.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 08-03-2022, 09:42 AM
  #15112  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Scionara05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Queens nyc
Posts: 1,290
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mrreet2001 View Post
As far as I know most tracks use the USVTA rule set and not the ROAR rule set for VTA
so how can we go about petitioning to open up body's from Japan as well. They don't have any better aero then what's available now. Just there 190 not 200mm.
Scionara05 is offline  
Old 08-03-2022, 09:52 AM
  #15113  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,520
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Scionara05 View Post
so how can we go about petitioning to open up body's from Japan as well. They don't have any better aero then what's available now. Just there 190 not 200mm.
If you are hellbent on completely changing the look and feel of the class, then go ahead and contact the officials at USVTA. The contact information was on the page I linked to.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 08-03-2022, 09:54 AM
  #15114  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 9,570
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

rear rims/tires on 190 mm bodies... imo, will be an issue
Rick Vessell likes this.
DARKSIDE is offline  
Old 08-03-2022, 10:10 AM
  #15115  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,520
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
rear rims/tires on 190 mm bodies... imo, will be an issue
I mean while we are looking to throw the whole look and feel out the window .... let's let them run different wheels and tires too.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 08-03-2022, 10:13 AM
  #15116  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (26)
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,964
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Scionara05 View Post
so how can we go about petitioning to open up body's from Japan as well. They don't have any better aero then what's available now. Just there 190 not 200mm.
If I could be so bold, I doubt that there is not much of a chance to have a change made to the national rules. What I would encourage instead is to see if the race director at your local track would allow it and go from there. If the class flourishes with your proposed changes, you would have a better chance for a bigger change.
ASM, Scionara05 and Billy Kelly like this.

Last edited by NutDriver; 08-05-2022 at 03:02 PM.
NutDriver is offline  
Old 08-03-2022, 10:15 AM
  #15117  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,520
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
If I could be so bold, I doubt that there is much of a chance to have a change made to the national rules. What I would encourage instead is to see if your race director would allow it and go from there. If the class flourishes with your proposed changes, you would have a better chance for a bigger change.
USVTA doesn't even allow the "under 2.5L" class cars to run. Cars that actually ran Trans Am races and were from the correct time period.
robk, Rick Vessell, Raman and 1 others like this.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 09-22-2022, 06:59 PM
  #15118  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 35
Default Tire treatment

Any good tire treatments for HPI VTA tires running on asphalt? Car is working good, but always want to go faster. I've avoided "saucing" lately due to the problem of making the tires too soft and swollen with very low traction. Also any treatment for the Protoform tires? I've tried FX II, Liquid Wrench (blue and yellow), WD40, and some private blends. There is some improvement, but the Protoforms have a long way to go to work on asphalt. BTW Just bought a new set of HPIs from Michaels Hobbies. The rear tires are slightly smaller diameter than either the Protoform or the old production HPIs. I'll get the calipers out tomorrow.
PwrWrench is offline  
Old 09-26-2022, 06:16 AM
  #15119  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,520
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by PwrWrench View Post
Any good tire treatments for HPI VTA tires running on asphalt? Car is working good, but always want to go faster. I've avoided "saucing" lately due to the problem of making the tires too soft and swollen with very low traction. Also any treatment for the Protoform tires? I've tried FX II, Liquid Wrench (blue and yellow), WD40, and some private blends. There is some improvement, but the Protoforms have a long way to go to work on asphalt. BTW Just bought a new set of HPIs from Michaels Hobbies. The rear tires are slightly smaller diameter than either the Protoform or the old production HPIs. I'll get the calipers out tomorrow.
I find it interesting that you are getting less traction when they get soft. A softer rubber should mean more traction and on carpet swollen VTA tires can give us too much traction.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 09-26-2022, 07:46 AM
  #15120  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (66)
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 3,623
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by PwrWrench View Post
Any good tire treatments for HPI VTA tires running on asphalt? Car is working good, but always want to go faster. I've avoided "saucing" lately due to the problem of making the tires too soft and swollen with very low traction. Also any treatment for the Protoform tires? I've tried FX II, Liquid Wrench (blue and yellow), WD40, and some private blends. There is some improvement, but the Protoforms have a long way to go to work on asphalt. BTW Just bought a new set of HPIs from Michaels Hobbies. The rear tires are slightly smaller diameter than either the Protoform or the old production HPIs. I'll get the calipers out tomorrow.
reach out to the racers in Southern Florida on Facebook. Coral Springs racers, Valkira raceway. They have done extensive testing on both types of tires.
theproffesor is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.