Community
Wiki Posts
Search

** WD-40 as traction additive **

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Lightbulb ** WD-40 as traction additive **

I've been doing some comparisons of traction additive for rubber tires on asphalt type tracks and found that WD40 is working wonders for the traction. So far I've compared it to "Ground Effects" and it has proven to be MUCH better.

Just curious if anyone knows WHY it works so much better. Please feel free to share your own experiences with traction additives as well it's effects on the rubber compound of tires.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

g-spec- how do you use it? do you leave it on for a few mins and then wipe off, or just spray it onto a cloth and wipe the tires?
Old 06-04-2002, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Arrow ??!!??!!

I have heard that Traction compounds have a similar content to WD-40 anyways. But I cannot prove it. But it seems right. I use WD-40 when its time to store my Vector foam tires for long periods (i.e Winter). I have not used it as traction compound yet. This weekend is my first rubber tire race in ages and I'll try it. Dont know how useful it will be on performance onbrushed concrete outdoors though. Probably just make tires wear out faster, but not be any faster!!!
Old 06-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I use WD-40 all the time as a traction additive. Mainly because it last the whole race with out wearing off. The traction you have at the start is the traction you have at the finish.

Ian S- I spray it onto a rag and wipe it onto the tires. To gain lots of traction(or if you have the time) you just wipe it on and leave it to dry on its own. If you don't need that much extra grip(or if your short on time) wipe it on, then a few minutes later, wipe it off with a dry rag.

Between WD-40 and SimpleGreen. Those are the only additives I use on my tires. Well those and my magic pixie traction dust!
Old 06-04-2002, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I just received my July issue of RC CAR, and it has some tire care tips, and it basically says to clean the tires off with motor spray, then spay WD-40 on a rag and wipe the tires before a race. I'm assuming its probably 20-30 min before the start. I havent used WD-40 yet, and I'm curious to try. In the article they even suggest storing the tires in plastic baggies to keep the oil in the tires from drying out. Makes sense since the tires come packaged this way.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

WD40 does soften the rubber as well as foam compound !!
Old 06-04-2002, 09:16 PM
Tech Initiate

From what I've heard, WD-40 is just Kerosene and Parafin wax. If this is true, then it's probably the Kerosene that's softening up the rubber - as most organic solvents are apt to do.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

soak a rubber band in some kerosene, and then try to pull it apart. damned near impossible! kerosene, for some reason, works as a bonding agent i think for rubber.i fattens the rubber up, and moistens it to make it stick better. wd-40, that green stuff, and pretty much any type of oil should work on the tires. I have heard that motor oil, 3in1 oil, and also straight kerosne will work.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

have you tried wheel bearing grease? i smeared it on generously and let it sit for a few minutes. then i took a few practice runs. durring this time most of it spun off and i my traction went from horrible to almost average. it made quite a mess and really added seconds to my lap time. i'm gonna switch to something else.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by seaball
have you tried wheel bearing grease? i smeared it on generously and let it sit for a few minutes. then i took a few practice runs. durring this time most of it spun off and i my traction went from horrible to almost average. it made quite a mess and really added seconds to my lap time. i'm gonna switch to something else.
I will quit RC Car if I need to do these every run !!!
Old 06-04-2002, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

ive heard that wd-40 softens the tires, what i do is apply ground effects to a towel and whipe on and let set for at least 5min it seems to work for me
Old 06-05-2002, 12:46 AM
Tech Elite

Is there an around the house sort of thing (i.e. like wd40) that you can use on foams that gains you traction? Does wd40 work on foams? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by fatdoggy
Is there an around the house sort of thing (i.e. like wd40) that you can use on foams that gains you traction? Does wd40 work on foams? Thanks.
it does but you need a longer time to soften the foam material then the tire treatment compound available.

wintergreen is another alternative.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:43 AM
Tech Master

Try Coppertone SPF-15 sunscreen lotion. Just rub it in the foam and let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it off. It works really well to increase the traction and to condition the foam. Works just as well as those stinky compounds and it doesnt dry out the foam.

I/we used to use it back in '96 for 1/10 electric pan till I quit R/C.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:09 AM
Tech Elite

Do these work for carpet as well? Thanks for the info guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.