R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Prepping a BLACKTOP surface?

Hey guys, I'm fortunate enough to have a basketball court with the hoops removed in my complex and I'm looking to set up a track on it!

I need to know some of the prep steps needed to make it ready...

The blacktop has no cracks, will need to power wash it but what should i spray over the lanes?

Thanks for the input!

Daryl
☆ Coral Springs RC Track | Mills Pond RC Track | South Florida|
BlackStarRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

sugar water

mix 5# powdered sugar to 5 gallons of water, spray on the lanes.

you can also use grape soda, which ever would be cheaper.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Tech Master

Default SWEET lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
sugar water

mix 5# powdered sugar to 5 gallons of water, spray on the lanes.

you can also use grape soda, which ever would be cheaper.
ok thats simple!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

I guess the ants will be great for drifting over LOL.

Sorry all I can think of is a race track of dead ants.
Thorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Ants usually are not a problem as the asphalt is too hot for them. But if your worried just hose off the track at the end of the day...doesn't take long to wash it away.

Also depending on what cars you'll be running you might just want to try power washing it and trying it without a spray. Touring cars may get enough grip without it. Sure grip will be better with a spray but it might not be needed. But if you are going to run foam tire cars like pan cars you'll need a spray.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Good day!

We use pop and ants are not a problem but near the end of the season wasps are. We get hundreds of dopey wasps on the track and they do get in the cars.
I will not send Pay Pal as a gift or add fees to the price so DO NOT ASK!
BCbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Tech Master

Default thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Ants usually are not a problem as the asphalt is too hot for them. But if your worried just hose off the track at the end of the day...doesn't take long to wash it away.

Also depending on what cars you'll be running you might just want to try power washing it and trying it without a spray. Touring cars may get enough grip without it. Sure grip will be better with a spray but it might not be needed. But if you are going to run foam tire cars like pan cars you'll need a spray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCbud View Post
Good day!

We use pop and ants are not a problem but near the end of the season wasps are. We get hundreds of dopey wasps on the track and they do get in the cars.
i will be running rubber tires on it, maybe even some VTA... so ill clean it run the cars and then if needed get the soda pop!!! lol
Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We use root beer at my track...
Old 03-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We use cheap grape soda. Works well.

No matter what you choose, someone will not be happy.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

nobody mentioned CLEANING the surface First

If you have water available - Blow it off (dirt and dust) and wash it too if possible...

Depending on how you lay the track out - adjust what/where you spray (I usually go heavy on corner exits, and light on entrances... and AS NEEDED on straights.

Root beer was alway my choice, but grape soda and sugar water were good too. (root beer has enough fizz to drill a hole in the lid to spray - but a hudson sprayer still works best.)
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

A leaf blower would save you a lot of time.
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
BadSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Our facility is right between a bulk materials handling area for a concrete mixing plant and a dirt offroad track. No matter what way the wind blows, we get sand and grit all over the track all week, and sometimes throughout the race day.

We use a high power backpack leaf blower to blow off the track before we spray is with soda. We have found that a smooth, even coat all over the track works best to even out traction. That way if some cars get together anywhere on the track or anyone gets off of the race line, you never have to worry about a variable surface. Doesn't really matter as much through the straights, but there's NOTHING worse than variable traction through all sections of a turn.

Soda/sugar water prep works because it's sticky/tacky and pulls rubber from the tires and collects the shed/worn off rubber and sticks it to the track. It's that subsequent rubber-on-rubber action that builds traction, especially as the day goes on and the track gets hotter. To a point, wherever you spray more prep, you're going to build more traction faster, less prep lower traction. That's why traction builds so fast in the corners where there's the most scrub and rubber laid down. It's also why the groove turns a darker color.

Be careful not to spray too much sugar water/soda prep, though, as the humidity level could make the track slimy and slick instead of tacky throughout the day. We mix 70% soda and 30% water and do 3-5 thin even coats. I'd start with two coats and see if you need more. Depending on the size of your track overall, you'll probably want to have each coat dry before adding the next.

The downside of cheap and easy is that if the humidity level comes up before you lay down a good base of rubber groove, sugar water/soda prep'd tracks will get slimy and slick as the prep rehydrates.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Tech Master

Default awesome info

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
nobody mentioned CLEANING the surface First

If you have water available - Blow it off (dirt and dust) and wash it too if possible...

Depending on how you lay the track out - adjust what/where you spray (I usually go heavy on corner exits, and light on entrances... and AS NEEDED on straights.

Root beer was alway my choice, but grape soda and sugar water were good too. (root beer has enough fizz to drill a hole in the lid to spray - but a hudson sprayer still works best.)
thats what i needed to know! '

Thanks
Old 03-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
Tech Master

Default thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Our facility is right between a bulk materials handling area for a concrete mixing plant and a dirt offroad track. No matter what way the wind blows, we get sand and grit all over the track all week, and sometimes throughout the race day.

We use a high power backpack leaf blower to blow off the track before we spray is with soda. We have found that a smooth, even coat all over the track works best to even out traction. That way if some cars get together anywhere on the track or anyone gets off of the race line, you never have to worry about a variable surface. Doesn't really matter as much through the straights, but there's NOTHING worse than variable traction through all sections of a turn.

Soda/sugar water prep works because it's sticky/tacky and pulls rubber from the tires and collects the shed/worn off rubber and sticks it to the track. It's that subsequent rubber-on-rubber action that builds traction, especially as the day goes on and the track gets hotter. To a point, wherever you spray more prep, you're going to build more traction faster, less prep lower traction. That's why traction builds so fast in the corners where there's the most scrub and rubber laid down. It's also why the groove turns a darker color.

Be careful not to spray too much sugar water/soda prep, though, as the humidity level could make the track slimy and slick instead of tacky throughout the day. We mix 70% soda and 30% water and do 3-5 thin even coats. I'd start with two coats and see if you need more. Depending on the size of your track overall, you'll probably want to have each coat dry before adding the next.

The downside of cheap and easy is that if the humidity level comes up before you lay down a good base of rubber groove, sugar water/soda prep'd tracks will get slimy and slick as the prep rehydrates.
yeah here in south florida we get some humidity but a whole lot of sunny racing days! like today!!! going to go blow it off and run some test!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

power wash the whole surface first, then put down your layout. Spray with grape soda (.99 cents for 2 litres) then rinse it all away end of race day.

Dont forget an air compressor to clean off the cars after every run. To many tracks forget this!