Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bertrandsv87

pan cars in parking lots

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Default pan cars in parking lots

Anybody out there run a par car on asphalt? I'm a basher and I have this old rc10l I wat to play with but all I have is foam tires for it. Anybody know of some rubber tires I could run on it?
Old 03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

You might be able to find some capped tires used on concrete oval cars. Try this link... http://www.windtunnelracingproducts....acturers_id=53
Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

the old Road Hawg tires use to do the trick for bashing - but I haven't seen any for pan cars in over 15 years.

For racing we use FOAM tires on asphalt - but you have to have a very clean, and pretty smooth surface...and if you want the best traction, after cleaning, spray the surface with several two liter bottles of ROOT BEER or GRAPE SODA to get it tacky.

w/o doing this - it's almost impossible to enjoy bashing w/ a pan car because they just spin out...

(Something else to assist is put a large wing on the rear of your car, using POD mounted wing mounts and a heavy piano wire to the wing.)
Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

back when I first started in pan cars we used to practice with them all the time in a shopping mall parking lot with no cleaning or prep of the asphalt. Pink rears with Purple fronts seemed to be the hot ticket for low grip at the time. More recently when we have tried we couldn't get any foams to hook up any more. I'm not sure why they no longer work...but at one time it was done quite often.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=oeoeo327;10470687]You might be able to find some capped tires used on concrete oval cars. Try this link....windtunnelracingproducts.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=53QUOTE]

Thanks thats pretty much what I was looking for. All the rear tires are narrow, I'd like to find some wide ones. Not winder than normal just not narrow. Thanks for the link I will probably end up buying from them. Do you know if they are the sold in pairs or single tires, the price seems a little low.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by SWTour
the old Road Hawg tires use to do the trick for bashing - but I haven't seen any for pan cars in over 15 years.

For racing we use FOAM tires on asphalt - but you have to have a very clean, and pretty smooth surface...and if you want the best traction, after cleaning, spray the surface with several two liter bottles of ROOT BEER or GRAPE SODA to get it tacky.

w/o doing this - it's almost impossible to enjoy bashing w/ a pan car because they just spin out...

(Something else to assist is put a large wing on the rear of your car, using POD mounted wing mounts and a heavy piano wire to the wing.)
I thought about the wing but dont think it will help that much, the car pushes really bad right now so I expect a wing adding more down force to the rear would make it worse. I put a 10 turn brushed motor in it and took it to a tennis court but that ended badly. It was super fast but had no grip, I crashed into the fence and the car was jammed half way under it, the body was toast and I broke the right a arm.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
back when I first started in pan cars we used to practice with them all the time in a shopping mall parking lot with no cleaning or prep of the asphalt. Pink rears with Purple fronts seemed to be the hot ticket for low grip at the time. More recently when we have tried we couldn't get any foams to hook up any more. I'm not sure why they no longer work...but at one time it was done quite often.
Yeah I remember seeing pans car at parking lot races all the time but they kinda diassappeared. The car is really fun but unless I can find some grip I'm just gonna kill the car. I've got green and purple foams but they dont hook up at all.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sschreiner5
Anybody out there run a par car on asphalt? I'm a basher and I have this old rc10l I wat to play with but all I have is foam tires for it. Anybody know of some rubber tires I could run on it?
Hi, You can Also try T.M. Racing Tires and you will find foam and capped
pan car tires. regards
Norman2
Old 03-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

best bet for CAP tires is John's BSR tires. John's RED Wide Rears I believe are the softest cap on the market, and I'd want SOFT on the back, maybe a blue or pink on the front.

as far as the old pink and purples working where the new ones don't. My "OLD" pinks were always in the 20-25 range on a durometer, where most of todays pinks are 30-35 (or harder)

My OLD Purples were duro @ 32-35, the newer ones range low to mid 40's. There are a lot of "SOFT" or Double (harder) compounds now.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

I've tried both the soft foams and the BSR capped tires on my 235mm RC10L vintage '93. I've also tried Jack the Gripper and Liquid Gravity LG1 & 2 juice on them. Nothing seems to work. The car just does quick spins with very little throttle applied. I'm using a 905B hi down force body and a modern brush-less motor and ESC (mild wind). The surface is an outdoor basketball court painted with a reddish/orange paint. Our touring cars hook up to it good, but the pan cars have so little grip it's very frustrating. We are in Cancun Mexico so the temps are high all the time.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool

Two things will make you spin for starters: diff too tight and wrong tire shore rating... You will need hard front Tires(40+shore), and medium rears(38shore)...Also you need to make sure your front Tires don't wobble at all or it will make you spinout easily.... I run only twelve ball diffs in my pan cars for better smoothness... Good luck...
GT CRUSING likes this.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default Handling problems

bertrandsv87,

Thanks for the comments. I've rebuilt my diff, and will see what tires I here. At the present time I have BSR Pinks on the rear and BSR Whites on the front. (Foams)
John's duro chart says the the whites are 30-35 duro and the pinks are also 30-35 so I'll go harder on the fronts. I don't have anything softer for the rear.
I do have a pair of Black fronts?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Usually blacks are used on the rear, and purple is what's good in the front. If you run soft fronts, you will need to turn your steering down a bit to compensate for the extra grip...