R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   I thought this board was different... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/60922-i-thought-board-different.html)

Turbo Joe 01-23-2005 11:22 AM

I thought this board was different...

"Futureal",

I for one, think it's lame for you to close the thread. If you don't like how it's going, then maybe your friend should explain himself...or if he can't, deal with the consequences.

If this forum isn't the proper one to discuss racing etiquette and/or "professional" behaviour at the track, then you should move it to the proper one, not censor the discussion.

I've been on plenty of boards where the owners and mods let their personal relationships/deals shape the content. If this is one of those boards...that's too bad indeed, and a loss for the hobby.

pops 01-23-2005 11:26 AM

Re: I thought this board was different...

Originally posted by Turbo Joe
"Futureal",

I for one, think it's lame for you to close the thread. If you don't like how it's going, then maybe your friend should explain himself...or if he can't, deal with the consequences.

If this forum isn't the proper one to discuss racing etiquette and/or "professional" behaviour at the track, then you should move it to the proper one, not censor the discussion.

I've been on plenty of boards where the owners and mods let their personal relationships/deals shape the content. If this is one of those boards...that's too bad indeed, and a loss for the hobby.

Give it a rest, no body should have to explain themselves to you. :rolleyes:

Desolas 01-23-2005 11:28 AM

I'm glad he closed the thread, and he should delete this one. It's his forum, and he should moderate it as he sees fit. That thread was bodering on becoming a general flame fest.

The discussion should have been about etiquette, and pro-driver etiquette. Instead it turned into a attack about a specific class (drifting.) The entire point of etiquette was missed, it just was a hammer on Chris and hammer on drifting thread.

This forum unforunately is not different than the rest, it is still populated by people who cannot have a reasonable discussion because they miss the point and easily wander off topic.

It would have been cool if people would have taken the actual issue at hand, etiquette and discussed that, as I think that's one thing that has been missing lately at a lot of tracks is basic etiquette enlightenment and enforcement.

Speaking of etiquette, good forum etiquette dictates that if your message is to one person, you should PM them.

Turbo Joe 01-23-2005 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Desolas
Speaking of etiquette, good forum etiquette dictates that if your message is to one person, you should PM them.
Oh yeah...we're not supposed to be discussing moderator behavior in public either. :nod:

It's all good to puff/fluff people up when they behave well, but heaven forbid you discuss their bad behavior.

FW-05RR 01-23-2005 11:58 AM

I think this thread is going to be closed too

Charlie O 01-23-2005 12:47 PM

So pro drivers get even more preferential treatment, when there bad rap thread closed, when futureal dosn't like it, BS this is america!!! freedom of speach the first ammendment, backed by the 2nd, if Tosolini had any manners or etiquete in the first place he wouldn't have said that to that guy, and he could have made peace on the thread by an apology or explaination, closing a thread because people are speaking there mind is totally wrong.:flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

RCGaryK 01-23-2005 01:18 PM

You're right, you under the 2nd ammendment you have the right to say anything you'd like. But Shane pay's for the server space and runs this board. Do I think the thread should have been closed? Doesn't matter, it's not my board. Remember that ToS you agreed to when you signed up for?

There was a similar bash thread started a few months back. The person didn't have all the facts and was found to be wrong soon after and the thread was closed. Did the original person ever start another thread to admit they were wrong? No. Because it's easier to bash as much as you want and get people to jump on the bandwagon than to admit you were wrong in the first place.

And even if this thread stay alive, it Should get moved to the chat thread. It has very little to do with On-Road racing anymore, if it even did in the first place.

Mabuchi540 01-23-2005 01:21 PM

I think you'll find when all is said and done.....

that nowhere does it say on this site that it's a democracy. He can do what he likes just like the admin can do on a dating site I belong to does when his forums get out of hand.

dakrat 01-23-2005 01:24 PM

sometimes mods are not the smartest people. while ago i did a past asking for peoples opinion on bk2 and the ft b4. the mod deleted my post saying " this will start a flame" . wtf?

RCGaryK 01-23-2005 01:29 PM

Those types of threads do tend to degrade down to a pissing match, so I can see that thread getting torched. It all depends on how it's phrased too. If it's just a "Which is Better", that doesn't accomplish anything. But if you say "I run on a smoother track and am more of a finesse driver, which chassis is more suitable to these conditions", that is productive

Jack Smash 01-23-2005 01:51 PM

That thread turned into a "drag someones name throught the mud without any proof" thread and should have been locked.

Darkseid 01-23-2005 02:05 PM

I didn't follow through the whole thread, just the beggining of it. But if it happened, and the guy was there to hear it....how much more proof do you need? A recording!:lol:

That being said, I think threads like those only have a limited lifespan anyways. They just can't go on for long before our society...with its EXTREMELY short attention span...goes off topic.

What I'm saying is...<short attention span kicks in>.....uhhhh, what was I talking about again:confused:

:lol:

Poppa Ray 01-23-2005 02:08 PM

Simple values

" Praise in public, counsel in private" I grew up with these core values and they were reinforced during my years of military service. Simply put if you want to sing someones praises go ahead, if you have a problem with someone you take it up WITH THAT PERSON and not in public!!!!!!!!! No exceptions! And before I hear anyone cary on about their right to abuse freedom of speach I'll agree you do have the right to express yourself. But it is a universal truth that opinions are like backsides, everyone has one and decent people do not insist everyone see theirs!

Darkseid 01-23-2005 02:13 PM

Those are good core values in theory. But with things like "public" trials, "public" news organizations that air everyones dirty laundry, and "public" forums...its just not reality. Part of societal justice in the modern era is having "public" scrutiny about it.

I wasn't there, so I don't know whether the original event happened or not. All I know is that when you start a thread like that, you know your going to take heat from sheep who will defend someone just cause they're a celebrity. So i highly doubt someone would do it without some factual basis to back it up.

I'm kinda in between on an issue like this. I do believe that threads like that should be posted IF it actually happened. I just don't believe that people should expect them to stick around very long.

Turbo Joe 01-23-2005 02:32 PM

I just talked to someone who was ON THE STAND when it happened...and who didn't post here. On the locked thread, there was another racer who talked to Tosolini last night about it (he was showed the damage to Tosolini's bumper)...neither seemed to dispute the basic facts as asserted here.

I heard that the drifters were being a pain in the ass. Several other racers left or stopped running while they were out there. Tosolini did hit the guy a few times trying to get around him...and then one last time REALLY hard on the straight.

My friend said that he smacked the guy a few times trying to get around him.

Is it "bashing" to expect the professional in question to explain his behavior?

I don't think it would have been too hard to ask the drifters for 5 minutes of track time.