how to hold down batteries on my 12l4?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how to hold down batteries on my 12l4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Default how to hold down batteries on my 12l4?

what are you guys using to hold the batteries down with? i don't want to use tape because it's a pain to thread around the batteries after every swap. is velcro the key? and if so, where do i get some straps at? thanx guys.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

There is no better way than tape. You'll get the hang of it.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

You don't want to use velcro because velcro will give and when it does the batteries will come scooting out the side of the car.

Use tape. Talk to some of the guys that run the 12th scale or 10th scale pan cars at your local track. 1 inch diameter or a little under than is ideal. You'll need the tape with the fabric lines in it. (Forgot what it's called, silly me. )
Old 01-23-2005, 09:51 AM

BATTERY STRAP!! ADURRR (if u dont have one..make one or sumthing...lolz)

u can also always use tape...MAKE SURE IT WONT MELT-
Old 01-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by RedScorp
You don't want to use velcro because velcro will give and when it does the batteries will come scooting out the side of the car.

Use tape. Talk to some of the guys that run the 12th scale or 10th scale pan cars at your local track. 1 inch diameter or a little under than is ideal. You'll need the tape with the fabric lines in it. (Forgot what it's called, silly me. )

its called strapping tape. ive been using scoth strapping tape on my l3 with no problem. as long as u smooth the edges of the battery slots, you cant tear the tape. its cheap too
Old 01-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Use trapping tape. You can get it at most office supply stores or homie depot. Make sure you put two pieces of tape on each side and make sure it is neat. Dont let it rub on the ground. File the Areas where the tape wraps around. And dont forget to CA glue your batery trays in.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the best way is strapping tape. RIPMotorsports and I believe Team1 racing both have a very heavy duty strapping tape, with it you don't have to double up on the tape and I can actually reuse it for like 3 rounds before replacing it.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

I just use fiber strapping tape from..well i forgot from where, either home depo or target or something. It is a little wide(probobly a little more than an inch), but it is cheap, and it works.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Lance72RC
the best way is strapping tape. RIPMotorsports and I believe Team1 racing both have a very heavy duty strapping tape, with it you don't have to double up on the tape and I can actually reuse it for like 3 rounds before replacing it.

team1 racing is the best ive used so far.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

lol...its called fiberglass tape
Old 01-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

Generally the Pan car forum is a good place to ask questions. Fortunately as it seems, enough pay attention in here to give a helping hand. =)

Strapping tape was the name that was so elusive to me earlier. Thanks. hehe
Old 01-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Tech Initiate

thanx alot guys, you've been a help. i guess i'll just have to get used to taping my packs. thanx again.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Homemade battery straps...

I found a couple battery straps for sale on a few Hobby shop websites and decided to make my own.

Get two 3/4"-1" links from a chain as the buckle for your straps.

then I took 8-9" strips of strapping tape that were cut to fit inside of the chain links.

tape the strapping tape through the link a couple inches on one side, like you are making a belt. Tape the other piece of strapping tape going through the link the other direction, so the tape is facing itself and sticks together. So there are basically 4 pieces of the tape going through the link itself and reinforced for a couple inches and then the rest of the strap has 2 pieces of tape that are stuck together for added strength.

Now, put your batteries in the car and put the strap around the batteries and chassis, pull the end of the strap back up through the buckle and measure how long the strap really needs to be for your application and trim it at that point.

Take note of how long the pieces of velcro will need to be on the parts of the strap that overlap at the top of the battery, usually a couple inches at most.

Take the strap back off, and apply the 2" hook side of velcro to the end of the strap on one side. Leave about 1/2" of space and place the 2" fuzzy side of velcro to the same side of the strap.

I positioned the strap where I wanted it on the bottom of the chassis and then put a 2 1/2" strip of strapping tape on the inside of the chassis towards the strap at the bottom just to further secure the strap in place.

I've raced several times with many severe accidents and have not had my batteries come lose one time with these straps.

Here are links to some pics.

Battery Strap pic 1
Battery Strap pic 2
Battery Strap pic 3
Battery Strap pic 4
Battery Strap pic 5
Old 01-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

That adds weight though. Not to mention that velcro inherantly looses it's "velcro" ability too the more it's used.

Also, it's easier for velcro to come undone if you hit something that tape on tape will.

Nice idea though.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Why don't you just use normal fiberglass reinforced tape again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.