R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 08:52 AM   #61
Tech Fanatic

I have been an aquaitance of Chris's for alot of years now and cannot even come close to counting how many times he has done kind things for others. I get a kick at watching the pros answer questions from the novices (and me...) with great enthusiasm, and act as if it was the first time they ever heard that question.
I have seen Chris on his good days and bad days and he has contributed far more to the sport than he has taken away.

So Cal is a race track. It is like a Nationals race most of the time, sometimes even on practice days. My personal best run was such a practice day. I hung about ten feet behind Kinwald's sedan for six laps with my 12th scale car. Perfect laps, not normal for me.

Sometimes other uses of the track occur. Someone from the off-road side tries there buggy on the asphalt road track, micro sedans (which are hard to see when I'm doing 40mph down the back straight), and even a few drifting cars lately.

All of these are incompatible uses of any track, cars doing donuts vs. cars doing 40mph.

I have seen the pros wait patiently at SoCal for such uses to finish. Then they go out and lay down some unbelievable laps.

Its pretty hard to miss a car doing donuts on the back straight when your setting up for the tight turn at the end of a 40 mph straight.

Someone goofed. Incompatable track uses. Someone threw his car on the track and didn't realize what was going on. Someone got mad and lost it for a moment. I'm guilty of all the above, by the way, several times over.

I wasn't there on this day. I do understand how this could happen. Incompatable uses have happened before, and will happen again. I do know that both parties are human and are going to make mistakes, both this day and in the future.

I think trashing Chris or the other driver is not going to accomplish much. I bet that both drivers regret what happened, most likely for different reasons. Hopefully this will be resolved between the parties involved.

Last edited by Graphitedust; 01-23-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I didnt read the whole forum just the first page or so but i assume his words were out of frustration if anything i highly doubt any guy has gotten as far as him would intentionally hit another car. But i have to say that running drift cars on the track while real cars are trying to run hot laps in assinine. Send them to the parking lot. Drifting is not racing.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #63
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If they paid to be on the track like everyone else, then they have every right. If they weren't allowed on the track, they wouldn't be there. C'mon "real cars" ?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #64
Tech Fanatic

Guys, please remember a track is for all hobbyists. There is no commandment that you cannot drift an rc car and neither is there one that you cannot drift one on a track.

So before anyone gets too hot headed on the matter and end up appearing as RC racing snobs and elitists. Remember where you all came from... wild eyed kids wanting to have your own RC car to play.

This is a hobby, apart from any destructive reasons, no one should tell anyone else how to play.

Either way, I guess the problem will be solved if the racers took turns on the track with the drifters.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #65

yea baby, three pages of what someone might have said to someone else, now were talking rc
Old 01-23-2005, 10:25 AM   #66
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Bama, I'm not like personal go-out-for-beers friends with Toss, but I know how he is and I've been around him some. He's not normally like that, but at the same time he's not one of those "super patient and understanding" type of guys. I can certainly sympathize because I'm not always patient either. Plus, keep in mind that if Toss was pulling the trigger on the straight at Socal, then he was running about 35mph at the end of the straight and your drifter guy was lucky to be doing 10mph with zero traction, so it's pretty freakin hard to avoid accidents at full till especially with a car that can't even react fast enough to get out of your way.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:51 AM   #67
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

Chris IS a jerk. You don't need to know him just read his interviews he gives in the R/C mags. Or, better yet just listen to him on the driver's stand and laugh about running through cars instead of either going around them or waiting to take someone on a corner.

There's a reason he's been fired from R/C teams in the past. He's cocky, arrogant, and thinks the rules shouldn't apply to him...like drinking at big races right?...oops I opened a Yokomo can of worms there...and I usually say, "Put R/C racer on a resume and try to get a real job." He's nothing special just has the ability to drive an R/C car a little faster and tighter than most.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:19 AM   #68
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

toy cars....
Old 01-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #69

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
"you shouldn't be out here while i'm practing."
It's true, the only thing I could see wrong with him saying it is if he screamed it at the guy, or said it in a very harsh manner. If he just said it, no issue. He's right. If a modified car is out on the track, unless your also running mod it's best to stay off the track until he's done .. you typically only have to wait a few minutes.

That's practice etiquette. If a mod guy comes onto the track after you, you don't have to leave. Finish your run, but let him pass when it's safe, if the guy is being a ass and hitting you when you pass or making comments, then he's breaking etiquette and he's the ass, not you. I've had mod guys come out after me and make comments to the effect that I should maybe not run with the mod cars on the track. I just point out I was there first and they are welcome to wait until I'm done with my run.

We've all hit someone doing a bonehead mistake. I smacked a kid full speed because he stopped mid straight to check his trim. I did a lot of damage to both of our cars, I didn't apologize. Without angst I said "dude, that was a really stupid place to stop." and that was it. His actions deserved the comment, I wasn't being a dick about it, just pointing out the obvious.

If mod is on the track and a drifer comes out, it's obvious he's being the boner. While I don't agree with hammering on him and making him feel bad, there is nothing wrong with pointing out he's an idiot once. He might not know, he might be new, and now he's been told.

Also anyone turning this into a "Chris is a jerk" thread is immature. If your not friends with him you don't know him. I've practiced along side him, got hit by him even, and he seems fine. His conduct on the stand were normal, he didn't scream at anyone, appear outly frustrated when things weren't going his way or anything .. which is not what I can say for many other drivers. Compared to some pro's I've seen he's a model example of decent conduct. Discuss if he broke etiquette or not and get that issue cleared up, just don't come on and call him a jerk, that's a waste of time.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #70
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

RedScorp,

How can you even begin to understand Toso without even knowing him? If you are even anywhere near the level of racing that he is at, then you could share a lot of what he says and take that to heart. If you see what he has said as being short-sighted and arrogant, you're not really understanding. A lot of guys in the upper echelon of racing are applauding him for having enough balls to come out and say those things that are really happening.

And your job comparison? Think about pro atheletes. Are they any more capable to be something like a business manager, accountant, or engineer? No, they are not. Chris is a professional at what he does best: Racing.

As many have said on this thread, this is a job for him, and people interfering with your job is very frustrating at time. I honestly don't blame him for being upset that the drift cars are all over the place when he's trying to get some laps down during testing. I've experienced things very similar myself and it is frustrating. Yes, everyone has a right to use the track just as much as he does, but the drifters should just take some time to be courteous and wait till he's done, then they both can have more fun.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Old 01-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #71
Tech Regular

this thread should be titled "This week on The Real O.C."

this is lame, leave it at the track, no sense in bashing someone, online, especially if it didnt happen to you personally.

this is so SoCal, let it go.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #72
Tech Adept

I got no problem with might have happened, but when people start saying certain types of cars shouldn't even be allowed on a track and relegated to the parking lot, that's what gets me. Just because you aren't into something doesn't mean what you do is more important. Don't forget, sedans started out in parking lots. Try to see that people just want to have fun and don't put them down.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:40 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

We have this problem at a local track.

Guys come to the "RACE TRACK" to drift! They get in everyones way that is practicing to "RACE" then when the racing starts the "drifters" will come over and ask for "help" setting -up their car.

So I for one can say it is VERY frustrating to be running and making changes to see if you are going in the right direction with your car when you can't get a "clean" run in.

Some of you have suggested that Chris and Brian should have waited until the drifting had stopped, Well I am sure they were testing and wanted to do so as close as possible to race conditions i.e. Fresh off the charger packs. I have seen the guys at the local track "drift" for more than 20 mins. on 3300 packs. So waiting prob. was the last thing they were thinking about.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #74
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

well, my take would be .....

i dont really know Chris that well, but have met him a few times, and i always thought he was an asset to the R/C community. sure, he sometimes comes off a little abrasive, but its mainly a persona of sorts, i think... im not really gonna psychoanalyze him, cause i dont know him well enough, and wasnt there in person to see it.

i also had a drift car, and if i was on a "race track", and anyone got on that had a car to race, i would pull off, wether it was a mod, stock, sportsman, etc, no matter who was on first.... the slow-speed nature of the drifters is gonna cause problems, no matter what.

i dont really think that its about who has the right to be on the track, as they are all r/c cars, but i would never put my drift car out in the environment, unless it was only drifters on the track.

Team Novak
Old 01-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #75
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RedScorp Send a message via AIM to RedScorp Send a message via Yahoo to RedScorp

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian McGreevy
RedScorp,

How can you even begin to understand Toso without even knowing him? If you are even anywhere near the level of racing that he is at, then you could share a lot of what he says and take that to heart. If you see what he has said as being short-sighted and arrogant, you're not really understanding. A lot of guys in the upper echelon of racing are applauding him for having enough balls to come out and say those things that are really happening.

And your job comparison? Think about pro atheletes. Are they any more capable to be something like a business manager, accountant, or engineer? No, they are not. Chris is a professional at what he does best: Racing.

As many have said on this thread, this is a job for him, and people interfering with your job is very frustrating at time. I honestly don't blame him for being upset that the drift cars are all over the place when he's trying to get some laps down during testing. I've experienced things very similar myself and it is frustrating. Yes, everyone has a right to use the track just as much as he does, but the drifters should just take some time to be courteous and wait till he's done, then they both can have more fun.
Brian,

Unfortunately you don't always need to KNOW someone to actually know enough about them. Chris is one of those. Now, I'm not trying to bash people here but simply agreeing and responding to certain parts of this thread. I don't know him, but know enough about him to know that I don't like him because of how he acts.

I've stood next to him on the driver's stand and heard him laugh and tell other pros to just drive through the slower cars. But I also know that he has one heck of a temper and thinks the rules don't apply to him. To repeat myself, take the drinking episode when Yokomo fired him for drinking at a big race in the US. While Europe as I understand it allows drinking at big races, the we forbid it over here. Chris was hiding a beer can in a can cooler foamy. He knew the rules but believes he's above them. And to add to it he flames Yokomo in his interview article. I won't go too much into his temper tantrum a few years ago because I wasn't there but his actions override any reasons he may have had for acting like a child. He threw his M8 into the chainlink fence at a track at a big race and then proceeded to take his nitro car and slam the thing repeatedly on the ground and then launch the thing into the pits, come back looking for his car and continue beating it against the ground.

Professionals should act like professionals no exceptions. When they don't, people have every right a bitch about it and see that these "Professionals" are held accountable for their actions. Like I'm sure will happen with that mysterious crater in turn three that just appeared overnight on Thursday. (BTW, this is an example and not related to Chris or CoRally at all).

I ran 6 practice runs on the track at So. Cal. yesterday, not needed but had the time. I have to say, none of those times I was out there did I ever find the need to drive through any drifters. I pull over for the mod guys out of curtousy when it's convenient and safe to do so, but if I got run through simply because someone thought they deserved exclusive rights of passage on the track I'd be a bit irritated too and rightfully so.

Point is we're all there to race. If there's someone on the drivers stand that you don't want to run with at the same time than wait until he/she leaves. I do it just as do a lot of other people. But everyone has the right to practice just the same. There's no reason to act like an idiot over a toy car.
Closed Thread