R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default TRC or Jaco Foams?

I usually buy what I can from my LHS, but they have started to charge $25.95pr for TRC Plaids and Purples. Shopping online I noticed there is about a $6 difference between Jaco Purple-Oranges and Purples and TRC Plaids and Purples. Is there a quality difference? Since my Xray is setup on the TRCs will I have to make a drastic setup change if I switch to the Jacos? Thanks.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS

Last edited by Impulse_racer; 01-22-2005 at 03:24 AM.
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:34 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Look into the Parma's= about 15 a pair and hooked up
brianhackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to ALBERTO Send a message via Yahoo to ALBERTO

dont forget a bout speed mind there not bad too!!
Old 01-22-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

To answer your question without trying to convince you to buy an off brand- no, you will not notice a huge difference. Most people say when going from TRC to JACO with sedan tires you will notice that the car feels a little more stable. This is because of the larger diameter rim that is stiffer than the TRC. Both brands are fine.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to WVRACER

go to kt hobbies his prices are always real good and the service in great

wvracer
WVRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If at all possible, try to buy from your LHS...Remember, the online shops might give you good prices, but if the LHS (track) closes up...where are you gonna race? But to answer your question, I think for most of us, foam is foam (as long as you have the proper compounds, of course)

Just my opinion
RCevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:33 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Default Re: TRC or Jaco Foams?

Quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_racer
I usually buy what I can from my LHS, but they have started to charge $25.95pr for TRC Plaids and Purples. Shopping online I noticed there is about a $6 difference between Jaco Purple-Oranges and Purples and TRC Plaids and Purples. Is there a quality difference? Since my Xray is setup on the TRCs will I have to make a drastic setup change if I switch to the Jacos? Thanks.
What kind of traction does your track have?

On tracks that are not really hign grip I think the JACO double pink combination has an advantage. Of course as the bite gets better a tire that has less bite may close the gap. At that point I just switch to the JACO plaid and purple combination. Small dia. and super glued fronts.

At the local track where I race the bite gets really/really high as the day goes on and and small dia. and super glued front tires become necassary. Small is 56mm for us.

And of course, buy from the LHS or you won't have a place to race!
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:40 AM   #8
Tech Regular

i totaly agree to buy from your lhs BUT my lhs sale jacos for 24.99 and kt sells for 13.99

i just can not see paying 11.00 bucks at the lhs

wvracer
Old 01-22-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

Well, just to make a point, if you LHS sold more tires they would be selling at a higher volume like KT et al and could afford to close their margins up. Also, most hobby shops I have dealt with if you pre-order and pre-pay for your stuff they will cut you a much better deal since they know it is sold....

There are 2 cars I run that I HAVE to support online since the LHS's near me do not support those kits, but otherwise I try and buy local as much as possible....
Old 01-22-2005, 09:38 AM   #10
Tech Regular

i doubt that kt hobbies sales more product than hobby town usa its a simple fact of overhead hobbytown has a bunch of it and kt does not.

wvracer
Old 01-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to BuddyB

There is NO reason for a hobby shop to charge that much, the cost of tires for hobby shops is around 10-12 bucks, they are charging wayy to much...
-Buddy
BuddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Steve Bahnatka

there is definately a reason for lhs's to charge more then 10- or 11 bucks, cost is like 10 bucks so the hobby shops have to make some kind of money.they cant sell is for the same amount they buy it for. -lil b
Old 01-22-2005, 01:52 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If hobby shops would just get it through their heads that if you sell 20 pairs of tires at $8.50 profit per pair, they would probably sell 50 pair at $3.50 profit. Yes that more than double the quantity, but I know I speak for myself and most other racers, I would by more then one set at a time if the prices were better. The reason hobby shops don't sell the same quantities as the online guys is price. We must support our local hobby shops, but hobby shops have to help us support them as well. Especially the ones that do host/support local tracks. I know making money is what it is all about, but the high cost of this hobby is what hold it back.
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:57 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree with the overhead that hobby shops have. I have seen hobby shops stick it to people (amazingly, they are closed now), but don't forget..if they have a track, lights aren't cheap, heating, and the fact that you need a large building (rent $$$) all are big factors in overhead. That is something the online shops don't give you. Again, if the money is a big factor then buy online (yes, I do it too)....just realize that most hobby shops barely make it as it is and we can't have it both ways. Just saying if the shop can't support itself, then bye-bye track.
RCevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:38 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You guys are making me feel a little guilty. I DO buy all my stuff at the LHS. The only things I do buy online are parts for my Xray. The LHS stock Losi, Associated, and HPI, but not Xray. I do have the only Xray so I don't fault the shop for not stocking parts for just me. But I recently bought four sets of tires and realized I could have bought a spare motor or be half way to a very good battery pack, which I would have bought from the LHS. A track fee is paid to race and on practice days. And since we race only during store hours, some arguments don't apply. Trust me I am a firm believer in supporting my LHS, track or no track, but $10 profit on a $25 item is a bit much.

Thanks for the info on the tires.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote