R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default HPI Sprint 2 Drift, Glitching?

I just purchased my second Sprint 2 Drift and was excited about the claimed "glitch free operation" because of the new 2.4ghz radio system and water proof receiver box and servo.

Out of the box this thing ran great for about 5 minutes. Then it acted as if the receiver was losing signal and continually went into failsafe mode while in mid drift. (very frustrating to say the least)

I checked the battery setting to ensure that it was not defaulted into lipo mode since I was running a NIMH batery. Everything checks out as good to go. The receiver was still in place and everything was connected properly. I also rebound the radio to the receiver and it did not fix the problem. You can hold down the throttle on this car and it will just jerk in and out of WOT with the trigger held. I am dealing with a faulty factory receiver/transmitter combo or could this be something I have not checked?

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? If so please give me a heads up on how you corrected it.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tdevilman420

what batts r u useing might not b provideing enough juice to power the car when u nail the throttle
tdevilman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

It happened while running the Plasma 7.2v, six cell NiMH Battery supplied with the car.

I swapped out the digital receiver with one from my Blitz and now only starts to behave this way as the battery nears the end of its charge. I took the receiver from the new Sprint and swapped out the old AM radio from my first Sprint and it behaves the same way as the one from the Blitz in the new car. Only seems to behave erratically when the battery is running low on charge.

Maybe this is something new that only affects the newer 2.4 receivers? There isn't really much as far as technical specs that came with the owners manual other than describing the new "Fail safe mode". ..... I think I liked it better when the car just ran slower once the battery began to die.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

mine today was doing the exact same thing when i was running the plasma 7.2 2000 that comes with it but i assumed it was cause of low battery i swaped it out with my other battery and ni issues. Its only my sec day owning this thing lol
Fleshlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleshlight View Post
mine today was doing the exact same thing when i was running the plasma 7.2 2000 that comes with it but i assumed it was cause of low battery i swaped it out with my other battery and ni issues. Its only my sec day owning this thing lol
I am thinking it is supposed to act that way after running a few pack through it. It just took me by surprise since my older Sprint doesn't do this.

I do; however, like the upgrades from the old Sprint. For example: the already factory removed front and rear bulkheads, and the 23T pinion gear mated to a 90T spur gear, actually makes the new car much more stable and controllable over the previous Sprint. I am going to switch my older Sprint to this same gearing so my oldest boy won't have so much trouble running his hand-me-down rig. LOL
Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Kustom

Sounds like low voltage cut off or could be that you need to get a new battery.
Dr. Kustom is offline   Reply With Quote