R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Is it true kyosho's chassis are "soft"? any better brands?

Hi noob here..

Wanna know if kyoshos, more specifically, the kyosho tf5's chassis are soft or anything that i heard. and if there is a difference between rtr and kit?

Or if any better brands, pls let me know. i need a touring car purely for racing and my speed obsession so weight and handling are important criterions for me. weight is more important though...

thanks if i sound like a noob, i am.
yuanhui3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

I wonder if there's a site on the internet where you can enter a company name and model number, and then hit spin to create a new "rumor" about that car. LOL I'm not giving you a hard time, just amazed at the rumors that seem to surface on the internet.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kyosho make very good chassis and they have the best shocks in RC IMO.

TF6 is a great car if parts were available locally I would buy one.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

so, from the replies i got, i guess the kyosho tf5's are great for me?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Tech Adept

why you do not go for TF6 instead of TF5?
Ariel Reds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

well i'm aiming for a used one since they're cheaper and have all the upgrades and all already and there arent any used tf6's in singapore. do these kyoshos tend to need upgrades to shine? i have a noob tamiya tt-01 and they need many upgrades, e.g. aluminium shaft, non-plastic shocks etc etc..

HOLY SHYTE.. tf6's costs 500 euros new? holy crap...
Old 03-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuanhui3344 View Post
well i'm aiming for a used one since they're cheaper and have all the upgrades and all already and there arent any used tf6's in singapore. do these kyoshos tend to need upgrades to shine? i have a noob tamiya tt-01 and they need many upgrades, e.g. aluminium shaft, non-plastic shocks etc etc..

HOLY SHYTE.. tf6's costs 500 euros new? holy crap...

i got a TF6 for sale in a week or 2 when the TF6sp is available , i live in Holland(europe) but am willing to ship worldwide and accept paypal

Th TF6 is a great car out of the box , i built mine and was quicker then i have ever been with my old chassis
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Well, I'll have to turn that down, since the post office here sucks and I had 2 packages just disappear because I was not at home when the deliveryman came maybe he stole them, lol
Old 03-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default TF-5s

I have a TF-5s. Recently got it here off the FS forum for a really good deal. Everything was new in the box. The car runs great.

About the flex... I don't know what you are talking about. This car is built like a tank. Also weighs like one too. Its 100grams heavier than my XRay T2-009. With all the chassis stiffeners assembled its very difficult to flex the chassis unless you have hands like a gorilla.

Off course, it drives great for me because of a few upgrades. However, it didn't cost me much because I found most of them in my box of ZX-5 parts. Thats the beauty of this thing is that it is capatible with the ZX-5 buggy which can be found everywhere.
  • The front spool came from my ZX-5.
  • The front universals came from spares from my old KX-One
  • The clamping hex hubs were inexpensive options for the ZX-5 from my local hobby store.
  • The shock spring threaded collars (I didn't care for the stock ones because they're not o-ring captured) are also inexpensive options for the ZX-5.
Other than that, because of the low drive ratio, 2.5 IDR, you need a very small spur to be able to run 17.5 non-boost. I use a 74tooth Xenon gear because it has the hole pattern to match the four holes in the spur gear holder. Any other gear will only match just two of the holes.

Rule of thumb, buy ZX-5 option parts instead of TF-5 option parts. The difference is the TF-5 is in red vs. the ZX-5 which is in blue. Why ZX-5 parts? Because the ZX-5 parts are much cheaper due to its popularity unlike the TF-5.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default soft

Try not to keep the Chassis in the sun for too long.. also store it in the fridge and it will stay harder for longer..
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll get a tf5 first, then maybe a tf6 when i can find one used and local.

Now, whats the difference between the stallion, stallion shin, etc... versions? I'm thinking of belt-drive and the most versatile (i.e. customizable) one... thanks people, really a noob here, cant find online sources that compare the different versions..
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Unless you really have to have Kyosho. There are other options for belt drive out there. Don't just limit yourself to the K-Team.

My only reason for running the TF-5s is because its 200mm right out of the box without the need to use spacers or offset wheels to fit all the nice 200mm scale looking bodies that are out there. Because of its tub chassis and shaft drive, its great for blasting around on the front driveway or any parking lot.

However, if you want a serious car for a prepared track, you need to consider Xray T3, Tamiya 417, Team Associated TC6, and also the TOP Photon. If you're on a budget, then I highly suggest you look at the 3Racing Sakura Zero S.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, kyosho, tf5