R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Which touring car? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/606726-touring-car.html)

FST4RD 03-06-2012 10:34 PM

Which touring car?

Hey all, raced F1 and pan all my shortish career. Looking to get into TC now.
Been offered an Xray Evo 2, 10 full sets of wheels and 2 bodies. I would just have to add my electronics.
For half the price I have been offered the Xray I could get a 3racing Sakura Zero S. But then I would still need to get body and wheels.

Is the Evo 2 still a good chassis, can you still get the bits for it like belts etc?
Am I better of just getting something else?

I like the thought of the Xray as I know they are good quality. I just know nothing about TC but want to start racing them.

Slo_E4 03-06-2012 10:40 PM

I've been running a t2 008 and love the hell out of it. Parts are still available through amain, nexxusracing.com, and a few others. Don't quite understand what you mean by evo??? There's only a us or eu editions. You want the eu edition, and exotek chassis. :nod:

FST4RD 03-06-2012 10:45 PM

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...hp?prod_id=446

This one. I assume it's an Xray T1 Evo 2?

He also said that it has the c-hubs and some other hubs that are better...

Slo_E4 03-06-2012 10:53 PM

Gotcha, yea a T1. Not sure on parts for t1, I never search for them. I would get a t2 08 or 09, the Sakura is nice and up to date too. I would def get something newer than a t1. But it's up to you and that's my opinion.

ixlr8nz 03-06-2012 11:42 PM

Hey Robin,

If you are planning to race Touring Stock its probably still an ok car, but for Mod, I would guess it could be quite hard to get parts for like belts etc which I am sure you will go through a lot of. Mod is probably the hardest type of electric racing and can be really frustrating if your set up is not right and you have about 100 things you can adjust. Especially for someone with not so much experience.

Also do not factor into the equation that the EVO 2 has all those wheels and tyres supplied. More than likely they could be all useless for our track depending on where/what class this person raced previously. Just like any other class, tyres are extrememly important.

the Sakura Zero S may also be a good car for stock but I'm not sure how quick the car would wear out for mod racing....

If you are going to go Mod, you really need a top of the line chassis and a new one at that, to ensure you have good quality parts in it that are not already worn out. Chances are, if you buy a second hand car, you will need to replace a lot of drivetrain parts to make the car reliable.

Mike

FST4RD 03-06-2012 11:57 PM

Thanks Mike, I was considering running super stock, I know we lump super stock and mod together but i have a 13.5 setup already. It's out of my pro10 which is pretty much dead now. Although super stock was the biggest tc class at the southern clash.

Might have to keep looking or save for a new one.

hardmankam 03-07-2012 12:05 AM

Hi there, the xray quality is much much better than the sakura 0s. the 0s is an entry level car and if you want to get it race ready, its better off looking for a sakura zero (non-s version) instead.

As for the xray T1 evo2, its a pretty old car and parts can be a problem. If I were you, I would look for a T2-008 or newer. I still have a T2-008 and it's still running perfectly. Almost 80% of the parts are still being used in the updated T3-2012.

BTW, I also have a T3 and the material is actually better in my T2-008 than the T3.

ixlr8nz 03-07-2012 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by FST4RD (Post 10433504)
Thanks Mike, I was considering running super stock, I know we lump super stock and mod together but i have a 13.5 setup already. It's out of my pro10 which is pretty much dead now. Although super stock was the biggest tc class at the southern clash.

Might have to keep looking or save for a new one.

Super stock 13.5 turbo really is just a slightly milder version of Touring Mod. Nobody at our club has gone any faster with their mods than I have when I was running SS. Very few people have managed to get onto lap 15 at all in our club racing let alone 15 laps 15s. I think 13.5 Turbo would be a good combo of speed but not too much torque.

As said above about the xrays is pretty much true, just be careful not to buy a car with worn out belts/ universals, diffs etc. If any of these items are worn, it can be pretty expensive to replace and it will make you wonder if it was really worth trying to do things on the cheap.

Mike