R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   What is the best rc drift car currently? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/606522-what-best-rc-drift-car-currently.html)

Kaifd3s 03-06-2012 11:20 AM

What is the best rc drift car currently?

I have been searching and reading and could not find the answer, a lot of people say that any touring car can be converted into a drift car just by changing the setup and wheels.

I have seen cars though that are dedicated drift like the Tamiya TA05 VDF, which has a front/mid motor mount, does that make it better for drifting than a rear/mid mount?

I have a losi JRXS type R that I will try making into a drift car, but if there is something bette out there for drifting I would rather purchase that.

Let me know what cars are out there and your opinion as to why it would work better..

Thank you in advance.

Kai

kb525 03-06-2012 11:30 AM

There is no "best" rc car. It depends a lot on how you drive.

Kaifd3s 03-06-2012 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by kb525 (Post 10430354)
There is no "best" rc car. It depends a lot on how you drive.

Ok, I understand that driving skill also is a main factor, but as far as the motor placement how does it affect the cars handling being in the front or the rear?

rcduder 03-06-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kaifd3s (Post 10430452)
Ok, I understand that driving skill also is a main factor, but as far as the motor placement how does it affect the cars handling being in the front or the rear?

i know a lot of people like the motor in the rear because it affects how the car actually swings around corners in a drift :nod: (but i don't know for sure as i haven't done drift racing for a lil bit now)

Rcdriftkings717 03-06-2012 02:53 PM

The hpi sprint 2 has a great setup with the 4x4 pullie set up. And some cars don't drift as good as some.

td-civ 03-06-2012 10:25 PM

the ta05 vdf is one of the best roller to buy to drift i own one and love but i just order the rc-art ce-rx as it looks to be one bad A$$ roller

RogerDaShrubber 03-06-2012 10:35 PM

The best drift car is the one YOU drive the best, not one that someone else drives best. It is all about getting the ballance right for you and how you mash the keys. It does not matter if that is a $100 rtr or a top of the line pro car.

CSweatt6 03-07-2012 10:33 AM

I have a TEH-R31 from R2Hobbies.com
it is a cheap car so there are a few needed upgrades, but I love mine and plan to sale a couple other cars to replace them with r31's also.
If you do go with the TEH-R31, you will need to upgrade the frt axles,
I think the Carbon Fiber is a must, but thats debatable.
and you Definently need the frt one way and the rear solid axle
the stock outdrives are plastic and have a life span of about 7-8 minutes. lol

Kaifd3s 03-07-2012 11:27 AM

Looks like I will be purchasing a Tamiya TA05 VDF, I like the rc art, but it looks like parts may be harder to come by also it looks a lot like the Tamiya TA05 VDF only difference parts for the Tamiya may be easier to get, also it is $200.00 cheaper, but we shall see, the White Wolf by Rc Art looks really good.

td-civ 03-07-2012 01:24 PM

you cant go wrong with the vdf its a great roller and to set it up and not hard at all

im only getting the rc-art CE-rx because i want to try it as i have many drift cars

tamiya tb evo 4, tb03, tt01, ta05 vdf blue and gold :nod:
hpi sprint 2 front motor mod
TA tc3,tc4
Team magic E4D
on order rc-art ce-rx :lol:

Kaifd3s 03-07-2012 01:48 PM

Where is a good reliable place to order the RC-Art?

redzone 03-07-2012 09:20 PM

TA03f for me, like it more than my TA05 ifsr, having all the weight over the front wheels means they get the most traction and leaves the rear to slide around happily..

Tamiya just re released the pro version, jr-rc on ebay seems to have a lot of them in stock, they are a very limited release..

TOJ 08-18-2012 10:23 PM

The TA03F have been considered the AE86 of the RCdrift world, Easy to set up for drifting, Japanese make/brand, and a model produced

from long ago resulting parts are not so easy to find. Engine placement is same as AE86 (under the hood)

Tamiya has now introduced the

XV-01 pro , Lay-out is similar to TA03F front motor 4wd, beltdrive to transfer power to rear. Plastic Materials may be even be

better, not as brittle. This seems a modern day TA03F Does anyone think this can replace/substitute a TA03F? Will the XV-01 be

like/considered a newly released TA03F with parts availablility and improved plastic materials & built quality?

Since Toyota GT86 is

considered a new generation AE86 in the 1:1 Automotive world, Can we look at the new XV-01 be viewed as a Toyota GT86 of the RC

world? ;-) 1:1 (both are from same Japanese maker -Toyota -) 1:10 (both are from same Japanese maker -Tamiya)

Can the XV-01 propell to this status as did the TA03F in the RCdrift world ?

What do you think Guys? ;-)

Flipside6900 08-19-2012 12:56 PM

I'm likeing the multi purpose of the XV, you can set it up for rally/offroad like it comes out of the box, lower it some and use it for sedan racing, or slam it like crazy for drifting. I just hope Tamiya keeps it for a while and doesn't discontinue it in a few months... Also for another good choice for the drifter is the Hot Bodies Cyclone TC-FD, it's another front-mid motor layout. I know people have mentioned the TA05VDF, there's also the new TA05VDFVII out. Me myself, I have an older Cyclone S with an exotek conversion chassis and it works great.

packerfaninmn 08-19-2012 01:03 PM

Honestly, for the cost of a cyclone or xv01 chassis one could get a way better chassis. The steering on both are a joke as far as drifting goes.