R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Want to start a NEW RACING GOVERNING BODY

Good day Gentlemen and Ladies,

I want to begin a true discussion on creating a new Racing Governing Body. I propose we call it the I.R.A Independent Racing Association. The new RGB will work with local area racers to develop ideas and to expand the RC experience to those of all wages. We will allow all price range vehicles, electronics and nitro, while still maintaining a high level of safety. As for memberships, all funds will go to maintaining local area tracks and to help promote local area races as well as creating learning classes and training. We as an orginazation will want to grow and we will do this by reaching out to bigger sponsors so that quality racers will attend events. We will have regional, statewide and national levels of races. But i need your help, understand i am a member of roar but to be honest outside of paying a fee they don't do much here locally in Sunny South Florida.. And we must change this or suffer more closing of tracks and hobby stores... Lets build something big and save the sport. Help me form the I.R.A Independent Racing Association!
☆ Coral Springs RC Track | Mills Pond RC Track | South Florida|
BlackStarRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Meh.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

As much as I wish ROAR / IFMAR would do certain things differently, they have a lot of time put in and progress already. This seems more difficult than trying to run transponders not from MyLaps-AMB.

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your post seems more geared toward an organization geared toward PR, now I admit it would help, but to truly establish a governing body it will be necessary to tackle to mundane issues such as product testing and approval. No Governing Body will last long if it's rules say "ROAR Approved"

Get the ball rolling in that direction first and I know a few race promoters who would be on board

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Tech Master

Default Yes, we would have to make some changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Your post seems more geared toward an organization geared toward PR, now I admit it would help, but to truly establish a governing body it will be necessary to tackle to mundane issues such as product testing and approval. No Governing Body will last long if it's rules say "ROAR Approved"

Get the ball rolling in that direction first and I know a few race promoters who would be on board
Well i am going to start with the local tracks which are ROAR tracks but i will ask to rent the track, i will also be making on road equipment (disc and hopefully track walls out of plastic at super low cost so that we can at least have races on flat parking lots. as far as off road I'm searching local public parks to build more tracks. You see thats the Problem there is no way for those who can barely afford to enter the sport rot race unless like you said it says ROAR approved. As for PR there is not enough, thus everyday watching more people sell out of the RC racing due to track closings, where is ROAR then no where.... That is why every state will have its own governing board members who will help train, educate and develop relationships with local businesses and the national board will work on major sponsors... We have to try something new or next it will be us selling our rc things because of no local track!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Tech Master

Default Transponders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn View Post
As much as I wish ROAR / IFMAR would do certain things differently, they have a lot of time put in and progress already. This seems more difficult than trying to run transponders not from MyLaps-AMB.
working on developing a more affordable system, also this is an opportunity to utilize local membership fees to get wholesale pricing on systems by adding these little words to everything we print "Official Sponsor"

They want their names heard and read as much as we want to race.... T:meR is an affordable system where the transponders cost around $60 much more affordable than amb/mylaps.

But I'm here to talk and help save the sport i love and have invested so much in and i ask for everyones help!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
Regional Moderator

You're going to have a tough road to hoe trying to make your own lap timing system, unless the transponders are compatible with the plethora of AMB systems already in use. Even if the transponders are $60, existing tracks aren't going to invest in another lap timing system. You can already get MRT transponders from Stormer for $79 that work with AMB systems. Virtually every big race already uses AMB.

Personally, I don't know of anyone that would be willing to drop another $60 for a transponder that won't work at tracks they already go to, especially those that already own AMB compatible transponders. There's a lot of inertia you'd need to overcome.

Not trying to discourge you, just stating the facts.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing View Post
Well i am going to start with the local tracks which are ROAR tracks but i will ask to rent the track, i will also be making on road equipment (disc and hopefully track walls out of plastic at super low cost so that we can at least have races on flat parking lots. as far as off road I'm searching local public parks to build more tracks. You see thats the Problem there is no way for those who can barely afford to enter the sport rot race unless like you said it says ROAR approved. As for PR there is not enough, thus everyday watching more people sell out of the RC racing due to track closings, where is ROAR then no where.... That is why every state will have its own governing board members who will help train, educate and develop relationships with local businesses and the national board will work on major sponsors... We have to try something new or next it will be us selling our rc things because of no local track!
Again, sounds more like a PR, race promotion approach and not much toward a Governing Body, which is perfectly fine and a good economical approach to racing is always welcome. But Race Administration and Governong Body (as indicated in your first post, and thread title) are completly different

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED

Last edited by miller tyme; 03-03-2012 at 09:27 AM.
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

A better idea would to just have a national group that is just for club racers and not the top racers. ROAR does zero to help bring new people to the hobby.

Just look at the top racers the same handful of guys year after year, if not decade after decade. If they were bringing people into the hobby new racers would be getting better and would replace these guys. Let ROAR take care of the top racers.

The National Un-Sponsored Racers Association which is made up of 99% of the RC racer out there.

If the RC companies don't see the value of helping sponsoring club racing events for the people that buy 99% of their products, instead of the same old program of sponsoring the top guys and hoping people will buy more products because of a team racer winning with their car.

Most sponsored racers do a "very poor" job of representing their sponsored company to the club racer.

My hats is of to a guy like Paul Lemieux who do a great job of reaching out to racers on RCTech and being a top notch racer and a top notch representative of a racing brand.

If more top racers were like Paul, I think the hobby would be in better shape. I have never met Paul but everyone mentions what a class act he is.

ROAR is for the top dogs, we need an organization for us mutt racers.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Tech Master

Default Thats what I'm talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Chunker View Post
A better idea would to just have a national group that is just for club racers and not the top racers. ROAR does zero to help bring new people to the hobby.

Just look at the top racers the same handful of guys year after year, if not decade after decade. If they were bringing people into the hobby new racers would be getting better and would replace these guys. Let ROAR take care of the top racers.

The National Un-Sponsored Racers Association which is made up of 99% of the RC racer out there.

If the RC companies don't see the value of helping sponsoring club racing events for the people that buy 99% of their products, instead of the same old program of sponsoring the top guys and hoping people will buy more products because of a team racer winning with their car.

Most sponsored racers do a "very poor" job of representing their sponsored company to the club racer.

My hats is of to a guy like Paul Lemieux who do a great job of reaching out to racers on RCTech and being a top notch racer and a top notch representative of a racing brand.

If more top racers were like Paul, I think the hobby would be in better shape. I have never met Paul but everyone mentions what a class act he is.

ROAR is for the top dogs, we need an organization for us mutt racers.
I agree and that is the idea, to bring the 99% together to create a larger pool of drivers thus more opportunity for others to participate! We need to talk more about the formation and yes IRA would be for us not roar or ifmar!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Chunker View Post
The main reason for this is that most sponsored (at least top level racers) never club race. Or if they do show up, they're just doing testing for the next big race. On-road, off-road, doesn't matter. How many club races have big modified turnout?

I haven't seen a sponsored driver help out a beginner in a long time. It's mostly the mid-level drivers that are helping the newbie.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here we go again.
1) I've helped many a driver, club or anyone else any help I can give them.
2) ROAR is not and has never been in the business to get land or tracks for racers to race on.
3) race sponsors for local events back in the days when we had clubs we'd get our racers to go to different business for help. Again not a ROAR function. I've done it for Clubs, state races,region races and a National.
4) ROAR's funtion now is rules and insurance- Which helps you go to your city depts and get land to make you tracks.
5) The Hobby shops are the ones that should promote the race tracks. You ever see a newbie go into a hobby shop and get a new r/c car or truck. All they want is to go fast. But they don't know how to drive! They get blown away in there first race and you never see them again. Or the so called local experts laugh at the person and tell them they bought a piece of JUNK. That's what hurts the hobby.I see that all the time still.
You want to start a new organization- good luck! Your going to need it.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Tech Master

Default Luck started many of great things...

i agree its like that at my local hobby store they trash people who come in and always try to sell you what they run because thats all they know! I want to build an association that truly promotes the sport so that club races can be as big as roar or if mar races....

Its a thought, a thought to help. ROAR sponsors or insures 2 tracks that are open 2 days a week with 40 to 60 people trying to run on them, i want to help bring us together to help support the opening of new tracks and yes the hobby stores need to help and i will work with them to create incentives to those who help support.

I would like to start build a group of on road drivers through out the country to begin running weekend events on asphalt parking lots. these type of events can only help bring the attraction we need, because as you say ROAR does nothing outside of rules that stop most from even getting involved oh and insurance.... how many people have filed insurance claims to ROAR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
Here we go again.
1) I've helped many a driver, club or anyone else any help I can give them.
2) ROAR is not and has never been in the business to get land or tracks for racers to race on.
3) race sponsors for local events back in the days when we had clubs we'd get our racers to go to different business for help. Again not a ROAR function. I've done it for Clubs, state races,region races and a National.
4) ROAR's funtion now is rules and insurance- Which helps you go to your city depts and get land to make you tracks.
5) The Hobby shops are the ones that should promote the race tracks. You ever see a newbie go into a hobby shop and get a new r/c car or truck. All they want is to go fast. But they don't know how to drive! They get blown away in there first race and you never see them again. Or the so called local experts laugh at the person and tell them they bought a piece of JUNK. That's what hurts the hobby.I see that all the time still.
You want to start a new organization- good luck! Your going to need it.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing View Post
i agree its like that at my local hobby store they trash people who come in and always try to sell you what they run because thats all they know! I want to build an association that truly promotes the sport so that club races can be as big as roar or if mar races....

Its a thought, a thought to help. ROAR sponsors or insures 2 tracks that are open 2 days a week with 40 to 60 people trying to run on them, i want to help bring us together to help support the opening of new tracks and yes the hobby stores need to help and i will work with them to create incentives to those who help support.

I would like to start build a group of on road drivers through out the country to begin running weekend events on asphalt parking lots. these type of events can only help bring the attraction we need, because as you say ROAR does nothing outside of rules that stop most from even getting involved oh and insurance.... how many people have filed insurance claims to ROAR?
ROAR caries insurance for all members so that if something catastrophic happens at a track that is a ROAR track, the track, city, or organization is not personally held accountable. i have seen this first hand. ive watch a guy get hit in the head with a 1/8 scale nitro pan car..he was probably 35..and probably gets coloring books for christmas and his birthday..thats what the insurance is for...guy's family probably got 1mil+ after that happened. this also covers spectators if they are in the area. You can contact roar to see what the insurance covers cost wise, but that is a big hill to overcome..good luck on your local endevors but im thinking that is probably going to be it. ive seen clubs/teams like this come and go, and usually the people in/on the team usually get into a big ol` fight and leave r/c forever
Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This is really a circular argument. Tracks can't afford to stay open if racers don't attend regularly. Hobby shops can have a hard enough time trying to keep their doors open with the internet shops able to supply parts quicker, more efficiently and in many cases, cheaper. In most cases the shops can't support a track that's not in use regularly. We as hobbyists want to run our expensive toys and pay a minimum for racing and many feel that the track use and practice time should be free. As a case in point, I live in a major metropolitan area, but the only on-road tracks are over an hour away. There is no track and therefore no club.