R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Need help getting rid of the steering slop on my tt01

Cant drive this thing in a straight line for the life of me. It's not the servo just all the linkage for the steering. Any tricks to tighten it up a bit?

Also the guy who I bought it from was using it as a drifter. I'm using it for a road car. He glued the rear end to get rid of the limited slip. Would it handle better if I put a new rear end in?

Thanks guys!

The tt01 in question.

Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Front suspension slop is a free feature of the TT01!

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes:
1. Buy adjustable steering rods for toe in and toe out adjustments
2. Buy new suspension balls, it's the ones between the front arms and the uprights
3. Rebuild the servo saver and make sure it has no play
4. Add more weight at the batt side since youre using Lipo
5. Rebuild shocks with new oil
6. Check everything for any binding parts
7. Check and re-lube all bearings

Hope this helps.
Airflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks like you got some nice shocks on there. Thats good.

Tip: You can try using teflon plumbers tape (wrap two or three times) on the upper front (and back) arms where they plug into the chassis, this often gets rid of slop and if there is any binding it will quickly work itself in so it is floppy and free again.

I am of fan of the TT-01 for what it is. Its biggest limitation IMO is the limited gearing.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airflow View Post
Front suspension slop is a free feature of the TT01!

This is what I would do if I was in your shoes:
1. Buy adjustable steering rods for toe in and toe out adjustments
2. Buy new suspension balls, it's the ones between the front arms and the uprights
3. Rebuild the servo saver and make sure it has no play
4. Add more weight at the batt side since youre using Lipo
5. Rebuild shocks with new oil
6. Check everything for any binding parts
7. Check and re-lube all bearings

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. I went through the whole car when i bought it and it still is very sloppy. If i get any speed into it it shifts back and forth so bad that i have to get out of it or i lose control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade.... View Post
Looks like you got some nice shocks on there. Thats good.

Tip: You can try using teflon plumbers tape (wrap two or three times) on the upper front (and back) arms where they plug into the chassis, this often gets rid of slop and if there is any binding it will quickly work itself in so it is floppy and free again.

I am of fan of the TT-01 for what it is. Its biggest limitation IMO is the limited gearing.
Thanks, ill give this a try. I replaced the shocks immediately because it had the stock no oil shocks which were a joke lol. Are you talking about the steering arms or suspension arms? If you are talking about the suspension arms how will that help with the steering slop? thanks again
Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Does anyone have any input on the locked rear end? It seems like it wants to just swing around when cornering tight. Would it be beneficial to switch it back to a stock lsd?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero View Post
Does anyone have any input on the locked rear end? It seems like it wants to just swing around when cornering tight. Would it be beneficial to switch it back to a stock lsd?
YES, stock is not an LSD though, just an open gear diff, you can put thicker oil to make it kinda like a LSD, but in reality you don't want that. I would get another set of stock gears and just use the tamiya grease on them. I have a tt01 for my son and it's very easy to drive, actually has a lot of grip from such a simple setup.

(alternatively, you could swap the front gears if they are not glued, having the locked diff up front is very common).
Old 03-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Question, how many KV is that mamba system? if that's a real fast motor, it could be more than sloppy steering causing your problem.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
YES, stock is not an LSD though, just an open gear diff, you can put thicker oil to make it kinda like a LSD, but in reality you don't want that. I would get another set of stock gears and just use the tamiya grease on them. I have a tt01 for my son and it's very easy to drive, actually has a lot of grip from such a simple setup.

(alternatively, you could swap the front gears if they are not glued, having the locked diff up front is very common).
Thanks. Appreciate the info, ill try swapping them out, the front is stock. The motor is a 6900 but its set at 70% through the esc. Care to elaborate a little bit on what you mean as far as the motor?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Well I swapped out the front end and rear end and holy crap what a difference! It handles way batter and tracks straight under power! Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero View Post
Well I swapped out the front end and rear end and holy crap what a difference! It handles way batter and tracks straight under power! Thanks for all the advice guys.
With an open diff, one tire is very likely getting more power than the other side, so even if the car would roll straight, it's going to pull. Swapping this around locked the front which pulls the car straight.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
With an open diff, one tire is very likely getting more power than the other side, so even if the car would roll straight, it's going to pull. Swapping this around locked the front which pulls the car straight.
I was thinking that if i switched them around that the car would under steer having the locked diff up front. Man was i wrong. Doing this made the car much more enjoyable.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Also are there any free mods that will help the performance? On a tight budget right now so anything free or very cheap will help!

What gearing are you guys running? I have the stock spur and a 20t pinion right now. Im running the cc 6900 system in it.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Also try Sorex tyres.
Airflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airflow View Post
Also try Sorex tyres.
Are those any good for non manicured surfaces? They look like they would do well on a nice manicured surface but mine is mainly street/parking garages.