R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #16
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Got brave and hooked up the ESC to a different receiver this morning. Didn't work on that one either so I think my ESC toasted as well.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #17
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Got brave and hooked up the ESC to a different receiver this morning. Didn't work on that one either so I think my ESC toasted as well.
Was this a brand new Rx, or a used one? If new, give Spektrum a call. As stated above, they have really good customer service.
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #18
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

brand new out of the box. Plan to contact them today. Just a bummer because I was gonna race for the first time this weekend. Guess I will see if the hobby shop has a new ESC for me. Gonna have to contact Tekin too on that.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #19
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: sw ohio
Posts: 670
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
brand new out of the box. Plan to contact them today. Just a bummer because I was gonna race for the first time this weekend. Guess I will see if the hobby shop has a new ESC for me. Gonna have to contact Tekin too on that.


Sorry to hear about your issues, hope it all get straightened out quickly for ya... where were you going to race at this weekend ?
__________________
The Hobby Shop,The Ohio RC Factory
T.O.P. Photon CRC XTI, XRAY T4 15 xray xb4 xb8e losi sct 2.0

insanity takes it's toll...please have exact change
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Of course.


While a good idea for your specific application, it more than likely voids the warranty. And that won't prevent a piece of metal from shorting the servo connector pins, since you can't conformal coat the pins otherwise they won't conduct.
You can always coat the pins you aren't going to use or just use a blank connector as a 'blocker' to protect the pins (which is basically what I do when coating it to prevent it from insulating all the pins)

Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

One other thing concerning me is if there is a change it has something to do with the motor. The two things that were acting weird:
  • the fan attached to my speedo directly slowed down on braking but not really on throttle. I had always observed the opposite from that
  • the car was acting like it had very little brakes (tekin rs speedo)
  • this happened after braking hard (or trying to)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalmer View Post
Sorry to hear about your issues, hope it all get straightened out quickly for ya... where were you going to race at this weekend ?
Indy if they are racing.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

A thought from me is that if the end points on the servo were not calibrated on the transmitter may cause excessive current draw, and cause a failure somewhere.

As said, servos (Savox are where ive heard the main issues) can pull a lot of current.
__________________
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #23
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: sw ohio
Posts: 670
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
One other thing concerning me is if there is a change it has something to do with the motor. The two things that were acting weird:
  • the fan attached to my speedo directly slowed down on braking but not really on throttle. I had always observed the opposite from that
  • the car was acting like it had very little brakes (tekin rs speedo)
  • this happened after braking hard (or trying to)


Indy if they are racing.
212
__________________
The Hobby Shop,The Ohio RC Factory
T.O.P. Photon CRC XTI, XRAY T4 15 xray xb4 xb8e losi sct 2.0

insanity takes it's toll...please have exact change
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #24
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
A thought from me is that if the end points on the servo were not calibrated on the transmitter may cause excessive current draw, and cause a failure somewhere.

As said, servos (Savox are where ive heard the main issues) can pull a lot of current.
End points were set.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #25
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Got a new servo, new receiver, borrowed ESC. Please don't be a motor issue!! Here goes nothing....

ESC and Receiver on their way back for repair.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Got a new servo, new receiver, borrowed ESC. Please don't be a motor issue!! Here goes nothing....

ESC and Receiver on their way back for repair.
Tekin? If so, before pulling full throttle, spin the motor slowly by hand to see if the 3 right most LEDs light up in succession (although very dimly). That will at least tell you if the sensor is being read. Try servo first, then just ESC. Finally, both.
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/12 forum ovalnator Electric On-Road 46184 Yesterday 09:37 AM
Fried Spectrum reciever rdcracer Nitro Off-Road 12 12-17-2008 06:51 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:54 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net