R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Yokomo gear diff BD5 in old MR4 BD how ?

hi guys.

I have a older Yokomo MR4 BD and want to put in a BD-500GS in the rear. But it seems that the universal shaft (blue alloy,standard) is too long. when I attach the plastic cap to the end of the universal shaft, the it feels like they are to long when I move the wishbone up and down. anyone who knows how this should be fixed ? do I requiry shorter universal shafts from maybe the BD5 model ?

Hope there is a Yokomo expert how reads this.

thanks in advance.

Henrik.
Denmark.
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have literally just installed the Spec R BD5 gear diff in my MR-4TC BD. It fit without any mods. All I had to do was remove the metal washers on either side of the outdrives to fit inside the rear bulkheads. I'm using the standard driveshafts with the Spec R plastic drive shaft blades.
Losiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losiho View Post
I have literally just installed the Spec R BD5 gear diff in my MR-4TC BD. It fit without any mods. All I had to do was remove the metal washers on either side of the outdrives to fit inside the rear bulkheads. I'm using the standard driveshafts with the Spec R plastic drive shaft blades.
they arent called metal washers, there called spacing shims, they are 10mm. They should not affect the plastic blade fitting into the outdrive, they simply allow specific clearance for the differential in the bulkheads.

To answer the OP's question, the Yokomo gear diff works, you can shave a little material off the face of the plastic blade so it doesnt bind in the outdrive during suspension operation.

If it still binds, you will need shorter bones. You cant just boltup BD5 44mm bones onto your old BD axle. You will need the entire BD5 rear universal 44mm set and the BD5 rear hub carrier along with 5x10 ball bearings. It all bolts right up.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyZ View Post
they arent called metal washers, there called spacing shims, they are 10mm. They should not affect the plastic blade fitting into the outdrive, they simply allow specific clearance for the differential in the bulkheads.

Yes. You're correct. They're shims. And as I said in my post, I removed them because the outdrive and belt tensioner would not fit correctly into the bulkhead. Nothing to do with the plastic blade on the driveshafts. I was mearly pointing out that the Spec R gear diff fits the BD without modifications.
Losiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyZ View Post

To answer the OP's question, the Yokomo gear diff works, you can shave a little material off the face of the plastic blade so it doesnt bind in the outdrive during suspension operation.

If it still binds, you will need shorter bones. You cant just boltup BD5 44mm bones onto your old BD axle. You will need the entire BD5 rear universal 44mm set and the BD5 rear hub carrier along with 5x10 ball bearings. It all bolts right up.
Sammy> I think you got something right there. Because I have allready shaved a little of the plastic blades, but it is not enough. When I move the wishbone upwards, it seems like the plastic blade gets stuck in the outerdrives.

Could it be because I have installed the small o-ring inside the outerdrive also ?

What parts numbers will I need for the total changeover to the BD5 fit ?

Thanks in advance..
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock Tower View Post
Sammy> I think you got something right there. Because I have allready shaved a little of the plastic blades, but it is not enough. When I move the wishbone upwards, it seems like the plastic blade gets stuck in the outerdrives.

Could it be because I have installed the small o-ring inside the outerdrive also ?

What parts numbers will I need for the total changeover to the BD5 fit ?

Thanks in advance..
We had the same issue fitting the BD5 gear diff to the TC6 (back before AE made one of there own).

You can drill/dremel the centre of the outdrives to make them a bit deeper, this should allow it to work if it's pretty close already.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote