Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Society of Automotive Engineers.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #17
Tech Adept

just sit on rctech and read read read - you could probably design the ultimate, optimized and most revolutionary car ever. the amount of field specific r and d on here is staggering....
sagejyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Society of Automotive Engineers.
Ariel Reds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagejyoung View Post
just sit on rctech and read read read - you could probably design the ultimate, optimized and most revolutionary car ever. the amount of field specific r and d on here is staggering....
A well designed car with great customer service and excellent parts support is the key. XRAY may be expensive, but they have all the bases covered in this arena.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
A well designed car with great customer service and excellent parts support is the key. XRAY may be expensive, but they have all the bases covered in this arena.
yes, with the RnD, factory driver, customer troubleshoot, Xray forum.
All i can say is they have one of the best customer friendly system.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you want to become a designer a degree in mechanical engineering is the thing you want.
Also start working with Cad as early as you can, I started when I was 15 and this gave me a massive head start compared to my classmates who had zero experience with it.

For understanding race car design there are some very good books available.
You can start with Tune to win by Carroll Smith. Some stuff might be a bit old but it gives you a good insight on how all the parts of the car work.
When you understand the basics and had some more advanced math classes you can look into Racecar vehicle dynamics by the Milliken brothers. This is regarded as the 'bible to race car design'.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
If you want to become a designer a degree in mechanical engineering is the thing you want.
Also start working with Cad as early as you can, I started when I was 15 and this gave me a massive head start compared to my classmates who had zero experience with it.

You can start with Tune to win by Carroll Smith. Some stuff might be a bit old but it gives you a good insight on how all the parts of the car work.
When you understand the basics and had some more advanced math classes you can look into Racecar vehicle dynamics by the Milliken brothers. This is regarded as the 'bible to race car design'.
the breakthrough! so the mechanical engineering course play a big role?
will do some research on this course within my country college
Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Reds View Post
the breakthrough! so the mechanical engineering course play a big role?
will do some research on this course within my country college
You will not likely find a course based on the Milliken's work in your country. Most universities in the states don't even offer it. Brent Byers, who was mentioned above, convinced one of his professors at UMass to add it for a semester for the credit.

A standard ME degree will get you started. Be sure to focus on materials since so much of what we do is dependent on that. Also read as much as you can on vehicle dynamics like the others have suggested. Check out the SAE bookstore online, they have some good stuff too. Amazon or Ebay are your best bets for finding the Milliken's book.

For CAD, Solidworks or ProE are what you are looking for. Most of the designers and factories use one or the other.

Good luck!
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:

i second this motion... these are regarded by some as the 'bibles' of the RaceCar Design..
Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mechanical engineering is key to designing vehicles.

Electrical/Electronic engineering would be good for battery tech and perhaps ESCs.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Racecar vehicle dynamics by the Milliken brothers. This is regarded as the 'bible to race car design'.
^^ This. The Milliken book is indeed the bible for suspension and vehicle design. By aware, though, you need a very healthy background in physics and calculus/differential equations to be able to understand this text at any depth. Im talking about high level college courses here, not high school physics/math.

Shelby's "_____ to Win" series is also very helpful. He doesn't go into as much of the theory and governing physics equations behind things as the Milliken brothers, but that might be a good thing if you aren't up to date on your physics/math.

It has already been covered numerous times in this thread... but yes, you want a degree in ME with a focus on automotive engineering and vehicle dynamics. Secondary classes in metallurgic properties will also be very useful, as will taking tech school courses in CAD design, etc.

Things that might be of interest to you... Ive always wanted to see a miniature shock dyno for RC cars. Granted, a load cell with resolution fine enough to accurately measure dampers with such little compression/rebound force might be prohibitively expensive... but it would be VERY cool to see some force v velocity plots for RC dampers.

Also... a miniature 7-post shaker rig.

If I was pursuing an ME degree, I would love to try and tackle one of those ideas for my senior desing project.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm also an alum of the Formula SAE series. Man I miss being in the shop building race cars and parts for my RC's.

I believe Josh Cyrul is also a Mechanical Engineer.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Jus't don't forget the fact, that the rc car industry isn't very big. There are only a handful of big companies in this buisness and a lot of them in Asia.
Der Dicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Personally, I'd say get a degree in physics is the way to go.
The physicists in our company can talk along with the electrics, mechanical and chemists because they got a very wide range of expertise and more, they learn how it all works together.
CAD can be learned, not that hard (at least not for RC cars...)
Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quante View Post
CAD can be learned, not that hard (at least not for RC cars...)
I agree. I had to learn CAD to show fiber optic circuits and it was easier for me to learn than teach the CAD people how to populate the circuits.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote