R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Slick touring car tyres: When are they worn?

I'm relatively new to 1/10 and touring cars, I was wondering how you can tell when slick touring car rubber is worn to the point where you cannot use it?

Or at what point do they becomes less effective? What are the signs?
majed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majed View Post
I'm relatively new to 1/10 and touring cars, I was wondering how you can tell when slick touring car rubber is worn to the point where you cannot use it?

In Sorex tyres of mine, I tend to wear them down till it gets destroyed or when the belted areas are visible. But recently, I just sell them with just 50-60% tread life left in them. They seem to have grip till the very end unlike Tamiya's which you can feel right away the abrupt loss in grip, good for rubber tyre drifting though.
Airflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

They are less effective after 1-2 runs but you can use them until you start to see through the rubber to the mesh fabric under it.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends on the surface mostly but hp, car setup and driver all have an effect.

What surface are you racing on?

With a 13.5T boosted:

One of our local tracks has smooth but low grip asphalt Sorex are good for 2 runs and fall off badly towards the end of the 3rd. (5 minute runs)

Another local track which has medium grip asphalt the surface has a very different feel, very course (I thought the first time I ran on it tyres would be wrecked after one run) but to my surprise sorex will last for 6 runs. (6 minute heats and 8 minute finals)
Even tyres which have been used for 4 runs on the other track and were utterly useless on the other track improve greatly after 2-3 minutes on this surface and almost come back to life. Whilst not good enough for race pace they are certainly ok for practice and first qualifier of the day.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to EskimoGangsta Send a message via MSN to EskimoGangsta Send a message via Skype™ to EskimoGangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
Depends on the surface mostly but hp, car setup and driver all have an effect.

What surface are you racing on?

With a 13.5T boosted:

One of our local tracks has smooth but low grip asphalt Sorex are good for 2 runs and fall off badly towards the end of the 3rd. (5 minute runs)

Another local track which has medium grip asphalt the surface has a very different feel, very course (I thought the first time I ran on it tyres would be wrecked after one run) but to my surprise sorex will last for 6 runs. (6 minute heats and 8 minute finals)
Even tyres which have been used for 4 runs on the other track and were utterly useless on the other track improve greatly after 2-3 minutes on this surface and almost come back to life. Whilst not good enough for race pace they are certainly ok for practice and first qualifier of the day.
And on carpet i find the first run on Sorex's to be average. then you got 3 really good runs. then start to fall off rather quick next few runs. then stays about the same till the tire get destroyed. (6 min runs 17.5 boosted, on carpet only) for money reasons i keep 1 good set on me, but most of the time just run a set of tires for 20+ runs.

Changing a tires for me changed my lap times from 11.2's to 10.9's. for how serious i run it isn't worth that extra money for the extra 0.3seconds a lap.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majed View Post

What tires and on what kind of surface?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoGangsta View Post
And on carpet i find the first run on Sorex's to be average. then you got 3 really good runs. then start to fall off rather quick next few runs. then stays about the same till the tire get destroyed. (6 min runs 17.5 boosted, on carpet only) for money reasons i keep 1 good set on me, but most of the time just run a set of tires for 20+ runs.

Changing a tires for me changed my lap times from 11.2's to 10.9's. for how serious i run it isn't worth that extra money for the extra 0.3seconds a lap.
Interesting isn't it.

4th run sorex at the low grip track will be 1 second a lap slower than brand new tyres.

Last edited by frozenpod; 02-29-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to EskimoGangsta Send a message via MSN to EskimoGangsta Send a message via Skype™ to EskimoGangsta

Quote:
Interesting isn't it.

4th run soarers at the low grip track will be 1 second a lap slower than brand new tyres.
It is. although im not the most consistent driver, you can still tell the grip level differences in tires from 1 run to the next. and our track is nowhere near low grip. we run 32's usually. 28's are faster if you can drive with them or find a setup that will run a whole 6mins. with 28's my car just traction rolls so hard. even when the tire's are "worn out" you still traction roll. which is also weird because you think if i have enough grip to traction roll, why are my lap times getting slower. i'm just guessing but maybe the tires are sliding on the carpet then whipping the car over? anyways once i gather enough used tires i just make a setup that runs well on old tires. then i'm usually set for a long time.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Our track was resurfaced last year.
Before that first run Sorex's were around 0.3s quicker per lap.
Now they are worse on their first run, but from the second run onwards most of us are getting consistent laps until the canvas shows through!

At our last two day national I ran one set all weekend with pretty consistent fastest laps.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Our track was resurfaced last year.
Before that first run Sorex's were around 0.3s quicker per lap.
Now they are worse on their first run, but from the second run onwards most of us are getting consistent laps until the canvas shows through!

At our last two day national I ran one set all weekend with pretty consistent fastest laps.
Would you happen to have the details of the resurface material.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Would you happen to have the details of the resurface material.
Apparently it was 6mm asphalt, same spec as used in Pavements (UK) or 'sidewalks' if you're in the US
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Here is a resource that might help too:

http://nexusracing.net/newsdesk_info...3e39a861112865
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #13
Tech Master

Thanks mate I will keep that in the back of my mind if we ever get to a resurface.