R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
MF-DK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 26
Default HPI old Sprint and Sprint 2 chassisparts interchangeable?

Hi girls and boys, new here
Could not post following on the HPI forum, however thinking some of you here perhaps can answer this.


Do all parts for current HPI Sprint 2 models fit an 10 year old Sprint 1?

I'm currently working bringing new life to an old sprint 1. My car probably is the very first version that ever came out in 2001/early 2002. (yes it's been a decade)
Getting spares and options parts for this thing inside EU looks kinda limited at first, then I came wondering how much of the newer stuff would fit into it.
On the webpage it looks lot of same parts are still used on the current models, but some things remain unanswered.

I am mainly looking to replace all worn moving parts and if possible eliminate most steering slop.
As far as I understand, most chassis, shock towers got redesigned since the original Sprint 2, but what more? Steering?
The newer design looks to me kinda similar in some aspect, but are they interchangeable?

Last edited by MF-DK; 05-28-2012 at 05:04 PM.
MF-DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sunny Cancun, Mexico
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I have compared both manuals for sprint 1 and 2 an here´s what I found.
Steering seems interchangeable (just need to remove the steering posts on the sprint1). You can still get the old steering assembly which to me seem better (less slop). however the old version does not have a servo saver.
If you want to replace linkages they no longer sell the ones for the sprint1 (except for the little replacement steel balls which are available).
So for upgrading to the new linkages (turnbuckes, ball cups etc) you need the new front c hub and rear hub. you will also need new front and rear shock towers because the hole size are a different size (larger holes in the old version which wont fit the new ball cups) you could do some creative thinking to still mount those ballcups, just use larger ones and grab them on the other side with a nut.
For the new towers you will need some longer lenght screws as they old towers uses the same lenght, but on the new towers the top screws are longer. (you need the 2 longer screws for each tower, check the manuals).
Differential cases are the same, differential mounts same.
Chassis, the new one will bolt on just fine. arms, they're the same.
dogbones, about 1mm difference in lenght, so I guess it's the same. Belts, not sure about that one since they are different part numbers, but you'll find out as soon as you put the the new ones on...
Actually I know all this since i got an HPI sprint with some rally conversion parts (it even has the proper rally arms and chassis for full lenght travel suspension) so I did a lot of research to check what the car had (best of both worlds)...
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Tech Initiate
 
MF-DK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 26
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus2000 View Post
I have compared both manuals for sprint 1 and 2 an here´s what I found.
Steering seems interchangeable (just need to remove the steering posts on the sprint1). You can still get the old steering assembly which to me seem better (less slop). however the old version does not have a servo saver.
If you want to replace linkages they no longer sell the ones for the sprint1 (except for the little replacement steel balls which are available).
So for upgrading to the new linkages (turnbuckes, ball cups etc) you need the new front c hub and rear hub. you will also need new front and rear shock towers because the hole size are a different size (larger holes in the old version which wont fit the new ball cups) you could do some creative thinking to still mount those ballcups, just use larger ones and grab them on the other side with a nut.
For the new towers you will need some longer lenght screws as they old towers uses the same lenght, but on the new towers the top screws are longer. (you need the 2 longer screws for each tower, check the manuals).
Differential cases are the same, differential mounts same.
Chassis, the new one will bolt on just fine. arms, they're the same.
dogbones, about 1mm difference in lenght, so I guess it's the same. Belts, not sure about that one since they are different part numbers, but you'll find out as soon as you put the the new ones on...
Actually I know all this since i got an HPI sprint with some rally conversion parts (it even has the proper rally arms and chassis for full lenght travel suspension) so I did a lot of research to check what the car had (best of both worlds)...
Hey thanks for that, highly appreciated. Really want to hear from guys who already tried some kind of conversion.

The belts with new numbers says to be options parts for the old one, no problems here I guess.
I see that replacing to sprint 2 steering require at least new set of hubs to do so, I definitely also going to find new better shocks, likely I'm gonna get new towers anyway.
Not sure about dogbones is same though, saw some saying not fit the original sprint.

Last edited by MF-DK; 03-02-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: wrong item number :/
MF-DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Tech Initiate
 
MF-DK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 26
Red face old school

A few pics:






Can't it's a beauty, this one sure scccreeeaaams for new tires, shocks and electronics.
MF-DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sunny Cancun, Mexico
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

nice, is that the original sprint 1 chassis?
Mind if I see a bottom pic?
chassis looks different to the one in the sprint1 manual...

Last edited by Rufus2000; 03-03-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Tech Initiate
 
MF-DK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus2000 View Post
nice, is that the original sprint 1 chassis?
Mind if I see a bottom pic?
chassis looks different to the one in the sprint1 manual...


Yes that chassis should be the one it came with. Now that you say, the illustrated chassis sure looks different from the real thing above. that said, my sprint might be very basic.
I took car apart after the above pics, however hopefully this better shows.
MF-DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: sunny Cancun, Mexico
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for posting the pictures.
that's exactly the same chassis I have on mine, before that I had no idea what version sprint was it from.

Have you noticed that chassis has no downstop tabs? There should also be no downstop screws on the arms.

This indeed allows for larger suspension travel if you have longer shocks, just like in a rally.

Actually HPI manufactured rally chassis before so I wonder if this has to do with it. I think this vehicle would make for a good rally platform.
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Tech Initiate
 
MF-DK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus2000 View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures.
that's exactly the same chassis I have on mine, before that I had no idea what version sprint was it from.

Have you noticed that chassis has no downstop tabs? There should also be no downstop screws on the arms.

This indeed allows for larger suspension travel if you have longer shocks, just like in a rally.

Actually HPI manufactured rally chassis before so I wonder if this has to do with it. I think this vehicle would make for a good rally platform.
Yes, I saw some new "set screws" on the arms for the flux, might be what you talking about.
You know the Rally Sprint?
MF-DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Default

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I've been researching everywhere and can not find the answers I need.
Are all the parts for the sprint 2 able to fit the sprint 1 and if not what arey options for parts and upgrades. I'm looking to make a sprint 1 into a full drift Rc.
JMoniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:43 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net